PDA

View Full Version : Warren Doyle article, Backpacker magazine, Sept 11

John B
08-04-2011, 21:02
If you've ever wondered what a "circle" is like and how Mr. Doyle leads a group hike, you gotta read the article. You seriously have to read it. Incredible.

Sly
08-04-2011, 21:18
If you've ever wondered what a "circle" is like and how Mr. Doyle leads a group hike, you gotta read the article. You seriously have to read it. Incredible.

LOL.. I get Backpacker mag but unfortunately I won't be able to catch up with it until after Oct. I'll check online.

About_Time
08-04-2011, 21:46
I read it earlier today. I'd previously thought that he was a little eccentric, but based on that article I'd move more towards him being a little nutty.

Lone Wolf
08-04-2011, 22:25
ain't professors nutty? warren is cool in my book. he ain't cookie cutter like most in this "community". glad i ain't part of it

Double Wide
08-04-2011, 22:35
he ain't cookie cutter like most in this "community". glad i ain't part of it

With over 25,000 posts, it sure seems like you want to be part of this "community". :rolleyes:

ChinMusic
08-04-2011, 22:39
I hear Jack let em know what he thought.

HiKen2011
08-04-2011, 22:39
Can't find it online, anybody have a link?

Lone Wolf
08-04-2011, 22:41
With over 25,000 posts, it sure seems like you want to be part of this "community". :rolleyes:this is just an internet talk show. i don't do hiker gatherings and such anymore. but i do know a helluva lot about the AT. more than most on here so if anybody asks a ? i'll answer. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
08-04-2011, 22:42
I hear Jack let em know what he thought.jack who?.......

ChinMusic
08-04-2011, 22:43
jack who?.......
You don't know jack?

Sly
08-04-2011, 22:45
With over 25,000 posts, it sure seems like you want to be part of this "community". :rolleyes:

He's part of it. Hiked more miles than most, helps out at the Place, does inexpensive shuttles, hangs out at trail days. opens his home to thru-hikers, ran for board of ALDHA, has never missed a Southern Ruck. Okay, I'm lying about the last three. :D

Lone Wolf
08-04-2011, 22:49
opens his home to thru-hikers, ran for board of ALDHA, has never missed a Southern Ruck. Okay, I'm lying about the last three. :Di was gonna say, thems 3 false statements

Bearpaw
08-04-2011, 22:51
He's part of it. Hiked more miles than most, helps out at the Place, does inexpensive shuttles, hangs out at trail days. opens his home to thru-hikers, ran for board of ALDHA, has never missed a Southern Ruck. Okay, I'm lying about the last three. :D

I was about to ask if you were sharing whatever you were imbibing.

John B
08-05-2011, 07:38
I hear Jack let em know what he thought.

p. 81: "But the very notion of a group hike -- especially one kept on a rigid schedule -- appalls many conventional thruhikers, who tend to see themselves as Thoreauvian individualists. "He's not making their dreams come true. He's crushing (EIO) their dreams," charges Jack Tarlin, who completed seven consecutive annual thru-hikes from 1997 through 2003. "In convincing these poor sheep to participate in a hike that is essentially his, and in convincing them that their only hope for a successful thruhike is to follow his leadership, what he actually does is prevent these poor souls from finding out what they're capable of achieving on their own."

Lots of interesting things in the article. Personally I always thought it was a myth that Mr. Doyle doesn't mind a bit eating out of garbage cans at McDonalds, but the story's author confirmed that he indeed does.

I also didn't know that the hike ends with the group literally sneaking past park rangers at Kathadin. "He's been behaving strangely since we arrived at the edge of Baxter State Park... He'd insisted on hiking into the park by night, and made a point of refusing to register. During our rest stop at the campground, he shooshes us so the rangers won't hear. "It's like he's on the run from the law," someone says.

Not my cup of tea, but evidently it was for the participants in that particular "circle."

Trailbender
08-05-2011, 10:38
Yeah, doesn't sound fun at all, I'll do my own thing, thanks.

sheepdog
08-05-2011, 10:54
It's a way for some people to hike the trail that wouldn't otherwise. Who couldn't be in favor of that?

DrRichardCranium
08-05-2011, 11:26
I would never hike according to Doyle's circle expeditions, but if other people want to do it that way, so what? These aren't poor misled sheep; they know what they're getting when they sign up. "Hike Your Own Hike" includes the personal choice to hike someone else's hike.

No Pepsi
08-05-2011, 12:10
That doesn't sound like Jack. :)

Red Hat
08-05-2011, 12:15

TOO FUNNY! Like Lone Wolf said, Warren is cool, and different, like most of my hiker friends. God bless them every one. (Jack too)

WingedMonkey
08-05-2011, 12:18
Since they are both on heavy moderation on this site we know where this thread is headed.

:p

Alligator
08-05-2011, 14:22
Exactly. No need for another round of the Jack and Warren show. Backpacker.com has a forums area.