PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Loop in August

Rasty
08-04-2011, 23:21
I am planning a solo loop hike from Fontana Dam to Clingmans Dome. I was planning to take the Lakeshore trail, to the Forney Creek trail, to the the Forney Ridge trail to Clingmans. Going back on the AT to the Eagle Creek trail to the Lakeshore trail. Planning on a six day hike (About 75 miles total). Any thoughts on the Forney Creek trail and the Eagle Creek trail? Also any advise on the following campsites (#88, 74, 69, 96)? What is the water situation at Derrick Knob shelter? I planned this route to limit the reservations needed and not be in shelters the entire time. Thanks!

Robert

aaronthebugbuffet
08-05-2011, 02:32
Sounds cool.
Eagle Creek has 15 stream crossings and Forney Creek has 7. Just FYI.
Take some deet, the bugs can be heavy on the lake sites. I saw a lot of wild boar in the Lakeshore, Bear Creek area 2 years ago.

chelko
08-05-2011, 09:36
Those 15 creek crossings on Eagle creek can be tough especially with the afternoon thunderstorms. I would probably continue south on the AT and camp at #113. Then take the AT on back to Fontana. Just my thoughts.

Rasty
08-05-2011, 10:27
I really like water. One of the reasons I picked this route was the water access and obstacles.