PDA

View Full Version : new hostel opportunity

The Solemates
08-05-2011, 10:17
http://www.landwatch.com/Unicoi-County-Tennessee-Farms-and-Ranches-for-sale/pid/217972672

Lyle
08-05-2011, 10:31
In a couple of years, this would have been VERY tempting.

Sly
08-05-2011, 10:37
I wonder how much they want.

Trailbender
08-05-2011, 10:50
That's pretty cheap, wonder why.

Tennessee Viking
08-05-2011, 11:13
I couldnt find the address. But if the map is correct its on the other side of the ridge from Johnnys. The house doesn't look to be in great shape.

Red Hat
08-05-2011, 12:22
hmmm could be what Miss Janet needs... along with some cash to pay for it... could that be right, only $21,000? for 1 acre land and house???

Sly
08-05-2011, 12:25
I wonder how much they want.

That's pretty cheap, wonder why.

Now I see it, $21K. I just called the price is legit. It has 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, not sure of dining room, a dirt drive, septic and running water.

The block house doesn't look like much but how often can you find a house on an acre for $21K? I could probably put down 25% but without a job and no income, I doubt a back would approve me.

WingedMonkey
08-05-2011, 12:26
hmmm could be what Miss Janet needs... along with some cash to pay for it... could that be right, only $21,000? for 1 acre land and house???

Why would she need two houses?

Sly
08-05-2011, 12:27

Miss Janet? Love her dearly but she's not the only homeless person you know. ;)

Red Hat
08-05-2011, 12:31
no, but she's the only one with a plan for a hostel/hiker place in the area... She can't use her other house for a hostel any more, and it's for sale...

flyingturtle
08-05-2011, 12:37
no, but she's the only one with a plan for a hostel/hiker place in the area... She can't use her other house for a hostel any more, and it's for sale...

Please forgive me if this is already common knowledge, but why can't she use her other house for a hostel any more? I stayed with her in 2005 and I really enjoyed it, it was one of my favorite places on the trail.

Red Hat
08-05-2011, 12:52
Please forgive me if this is already common knowledge, but why can't she use her other house for a hostel any more? I stayed with her in 2005 and I really enjoyed it, it was one of my favorite places on the trail.

As I understand it, she could keep the house as long as the girls were minors. When they became of age, she had to sell the house as a condition of the divorce, or else buy him out.... I was there in 05 too, several times including the big blizzard at the end of April.

WingedMonkey
08-05-2011, 12:59

She took it off the market. Anyhow you can't operate a "hiker super center" on one acre, even though it might be nice for a small hostel.

flyingturtle
08-05-2011, 13:07
As I understand it, she could keep the house as long as the girls were minors. When they became of age, she had to sell the house as a condition of the divorce, or else buy him out.... I was there in 05 too, several times including the big blizzard at the end of April.

I'm sorry to hear that. It was a great place! I was there at the beginning of April, just after a big snowstorm we got caugh in between Hot Springs and there. I was just south of Bland when the storm at the end of April hit...luckily up there it was only a couple of inches!

Trailbender
08-05-2011, 13:53
She took it off the market. Anyhow you can't operate a "hiker super center" on one acre, even though it might be nice for a small hostel.

One acre is plenty. Also, that house might have been a meth lab, possibly why it is selling so cheap. I can't think of any reason why a house with land would be $21K, unless there is something seriously wrong with it.

WingedMonkey
08-05-2011, 14:14
One acre is plenty. Also, that house might have been a meth lab, possibly why it is selling so cheap. I can't think of any reason why a house with land would be $21K, unless there is something seriously wrong with it.

No, that place is not big enough or enough land for Miss Janet's dream plan of a hiking center.

Lyle
08-05-2011, 16:10
Houses are a dime a dozen, especially one that needs work, at least here in Michigan. Land hasn't lost it's value as much. $21,000 sounds pretty high to me in today's market. I would offer less, but I'm not familiar with the current market in the Erwin area. Some distressed places on an acre or more are going for under 10,000 around here - if you have the cash.

Sly
08-05-2011, 16:13
No, that place is not big enough or enough land for Miss Janet's dream plan of a hiking center.
Yeah, I don't think that's what she had in mind. Unfortunately, the place she had in mind, with backing, fell through and her dreams are bigger than her pocketbook.

Smile
08-05-2011, 16:58
If it sounds too good to be true....it probably is :)

generoll
08-05-2011, 22:04
figure that that is the price for the land. my guess is that the house is probably on a par with your poorer shelters. must only be a couple of miles from Uncle Johnnies.

Miss Janet
08-05-2011, 23:47
Miss Janet? Love her dearly but she's not the only homeless person you know. ;)

I am not "homeless"... I have a perfectly nice house I just don't want to live in! I am just "hosteless"!

Sly
08-05-2011, 23:58
I am not "homeless"... I have a perfectly nice house I just don't want to live in! I am just "hosteless"!

Oh, well... I suppose that's somewhat better than homeless and hosteless. :)

Painted Turtle
08-06-2011, 09:45
The septic is probably shot, thats $10,000.00 to fix. The well is contaminated from the septic, more money. The roof is probably NG. I would bet the wiring is the old KNOB and Tube type another $10,000.00. All guess from looking at picture. I would also guess at least $30,000.00 just to get the place liveable. How bad is the driveway? Is it passable in the winter? After heavy rain? A lot of unansered questions there. So you are probably paying for the land. As was already mentioned.

Ewker
08-06-2011, 10:14
The septic is probably shot, thats $10,000.00 to fix. The well is contaminated from the septic, more money. The roof is probably NG. I would bet the wiring is the old KNOB and Tube type another $10,000.00. All guess from looking at picture. I would also guess at least $30,000.00 just to get the place liveable. How bad is the driveway? Is it passable in the winter? After heavy rain? A lot of unansered questions there. So you are probably paying for the land. As was already mentioned.

yes lots of unanswered questions but also a alot of assumptions by you. Only way to know for sure is to check it out then report back with your findings

Mrs Baggins
08-06-2011, 10:16
Just click on the listing and then click on the link to email the listing agent with questions.

generoll
08-06-2011, 10:23
just note that their were no interior views of the house. there's also a parcel of land with a paved driveway with a tumble down house on it right by the cemetery at Sams Gap
. Old lady won't sell. thinks she's gonna lease it to a cell phone company and have her cake and eat it too.

mmais68569
08-15-2011, 18:56
Has anyone in the Erwin area tried to go see this property? If so please let me know I am interested in it.

Mike (Mr. Mean)