PDA

View Full Version : Backpack on the airplane??

GA Red
08-05-2011, 16:30
Anyone got a favorite pack cover? Don't want my straps caught up in anything. My pack is a Gregory Baltoro with a somewhat, not very flexible waist belt. Anyone ever used this as a checked bag?

Red Hat
08-05-2011, 16:38
when I must check a pack, I go to the nearest Wallyworld and get a cheap dufflebag to put it in. that way I don't have to worry about the straps. Just pull the waistbelt as tight as you can and push it in....

Creaky
08-06-2011, 18:10
A cheap duffel is probably the best way to go, but this creates the issue of what to do with/where to store it it at the other end. Some airlines will provide you with a large, very heavy-duty plastic bag. Call your carrier to see if that's an option.

aaronthebugbuffet
08-06-2011, 19:28
when I must check a pack, I go to the nearest Wallyworld and get a cheap dufflebag to put it in. that way I don't have to worry about the straps. Just pull the waistbelt as tight as you can and push it in....

A cheap duffel is probably the best way to go, but this creates the issue of what to do with/where to store it it at the other end. Some airlines will provide you with a large, very heavy-duty plastic bag. Call your carrier to see if that's an option.

That's what I do too.
I usually pack it loose too so TSA can make quick work of it if they feel inclined to hand search it.

Panzer1
08-07-2011, 02:35
remember to not pack any fuel.

Panzer

grayfox
08-07-2011, 13:10
Remember to put luggage tags directly on your pack so that if it gets separated from the duffel they will know who it belongs to. The clear heavy duty plastic bags from the airline are great and reusable when you get where you are going.

kanga
08-07-2011, 14:19
here's a quirky little thing i found the first time i flew with a pack: most airlines will only cover 40% replacement cost for the "luggage" itself, whereas the contents are usually fully covered. that is the main reason to use a cheap duffle, besides the strap issue. if your pack is inside a duffle, it is considered "contents".

Red Hat
08-07-2011, 15:38
What to do with the dufflebag:
For a thruhike, you don't feel bad about dumping a $10-$15 duffle when you get there. Put it in a goodwill box or something. For a shorter hike, like my JMT trip, I'm mailing it and some extra clothes to myself at the end of my hike.