alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
compass/GPS/cell phone/palm thingy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
a hydration system thingy
AT guide books
mac & cheese or ANY kind of cheese
Gore-tex (except 1 time I had Sundowner boots)
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

NICKTHEGREEK
02-11-2005, 07:21
I've NEVER used and never will use:

water filter or treatment
alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas
I'm confused, are you bragging or complaining?

Lone Wolf
02-11-2005, 07:23
Neither. Just bored. Just adding one more stupid thread to the dozens of others.

Groucho
02-11-2005, 08:01

alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

I don't see a pair of Lekis in this list. :-?

Youngblood
02-11-2005, 08:03
Maybe... maybe he's using them with his GoLite pack?

MOWGLI
02-11-2005, 08:11

alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

No Cheese!!! Man, you're crazier than I thought!

The only thing that surprises me in the compass - and (of course) - the cheese.

Tha Wookie
02-11-2005, 08:30
Yeah, no kidding... no cheese? what are you, some kinda minimalist or something?Don't you know that hiking without cheese is dangerous? haha!!!

Skeemer
02-11-2005, 08:31
Is the instant mac & cheese (like Kraft) made with real cheese? The only reason I didn't like it was the clean up afterwards. It did taste good with a lot of bacon bits.

This list of things one never uses raises the question of who is regarded as a "real backpacker mountain man/woman." Let's say on a scale of one to ten...a one is a person with sherpas, staying in air conditioned tents, eating filet mignon, has a daily change of Pategonia attire, uses a portable shower on the Trail and has limos waiting at every crossing to take him to a luxuary hotel to spend a zero unitil the sun shines...while a ten is a bare foot cave man in a loin cloth, living off the land, sleeping on the bare earth, relies on wildlife to survive and never once stops in town while hiking at least 20 miles every day.

I'm a nine...would have been a ten if it weren't for those damn zero days. :p LW would surely be a 10 if he didn't use a gun to shoot his meals.

Note: to qualify as a 10 all fires must be started with flint and sticks...absolutely no matches allowed!

shades of blue
02-11-2005, 08:32
You know L. Wolf...never is a long time. I can just see it now, I'll be hiking down the trail, and I'll see this Hammock hanging, gortex wearing, ATC guidebook reading, guy filtering water and cooking his mac and cheese on a alcohol stove, while he's wearing his waldies, talking on his cell phone to a outfitter so he can buy some lekis and a gps at his next zero day in town.

Having visions of a L. Wolf national lampoon's vacation right about now. :banana

I seldom use a dancing banana on here, but it just seemed kinda appropriate.

hikerjohnd
02-11-2005, 08:32
Never say never... one of these products may make it into your pack sooner or later - I'm voting on a titanium pot as they come down in price.:)

peter_pan
02-11-2005, 08:33
Cheese is not necessary unless you plan on a lot of whine.... ;)

2XL
02-11-2005, 08:46
LW do you stay at shelters?

Lone Wolf
02-11-2005, 09:03
I don't stay in shelters anymore but I have in the past. I don't eat cheese cuz I can't stand the taste, smell. I do not eat pizza. I do not, have not, will not use Lekis or other poles. No Go-Lite s**t either. :)

SGT Rock
02-11-2005, 09:38
I bet you used titanium and never knew it.:D

Ever written on white paper :-?

Groucho
02-11-2005, 09:41
I bet you used titanium and never knew it.:D

Ever written on white paper :-?

Toothpaste too.

SGT Rock
02-11-2005, 10:14
LWolf doesn't brush,he just chews on leather to clean his teeth :D

JoeHiker
02-11-2005, 11:08
I don't stay in shelters anymore but I have in the past. I don't eat cheese cuz I can't stand the taste, smell. I do not eat pizza. I do not, have not, will not use Lekis or other poles. No Go-Lite s**t either. :)
I do not like Green Eggs and Ham... :-)

tlbj6142
02-11-2005, 11:12
I think you forgot razor.

Footslogger
02-11-2005, 11:34
Off the top of my head ...here are a couple:

Water Filer
Camp Chair

Mags
02-11-2005, 11:42

Water Filer
Camp Chair

Same here! Like many novices, bought a filter when I first started backpacking. Haven't used it since 1997.

I've never used a Therma-rest on ANY backpacking trip as well.

wacocelt
02-11-2005, 12:13
I do not like Green Eggs and Ham

You beat me to it Joe! That's the first thing I thought when I saw, "I do not, have not, will not..."

I've been intedning to do a Graphic Novel for years now, but have put it off for lack of substantial subject matter. I think I may have finally found my muse!

TDale
02-11-2005, 12:28
"a one is a person with sherpas, staying in air conditioned tents, eating filet mignon, has a daily change of Pategonia attire, uses a portable shower on the Trail..."

Sounds pretty damn good to me.

neo
02-11-2005, 12:35
hey lonewolf what do you carry:sun neo

Lone Wolf
02-11-2005, 12:43
Be more specific.

flyfisher
02-11-2005, 12:52

alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

I read LW's advice with great respect. Let's see what I have learned and what I have not learned:

I stopped using a filter before I began hiking the AT. LW's (or Chief's - I can't remember which) quote about coming up to a piped spring where a bunch of new thru-hikers are pushing away at their filters and he just takes a drink is my favorite story at every water hole on the AT. But, to be honest, I carry a little bottle of iodine water for the sources I can not trust.

alcohol stove

I have carried an alcohol stove and several twig stoves. I have never carried a cannister stove or a white gas stove.

hammock/tarp/bivy

I have never walked a step on the AT without my hammock/tarp

I carried a compass as far as I carried a pair of sunglasses. First section hike was enough to let me know that neither was much use.

Thermarest

I carry a little bit of foam that works as hammock insulation or a soft spot on a shelter floor when it is raining too much for me to get excited about hammock hanging.

Anything titanium

I carried a titanium pot my first hike, but have been using aluminum since.

I walked my first section hike with just a 20 oz soft drink bottle for water. I saw someone sip on a platypus hose that hike, bought one and have used it since. I dearly love this piece of equipment. Like Hammock Hanger says, it seems to decrease the amount I drink during a day, because I don't gulp down more than I need.

AT guide books

Never carried them. I've never refused to read one at the end of the day to learn a story or two about the trail I just saw.

Most of the Lipton stuff has cheese in it. I like it better than other things I have tried for supper:

- Dehydrated dressing
- Dehydrated mashed potatoes

Neither of which I will carry unless I am otherwise going to starve.

I like my Goretex sundowner boots and the gortex gaiters I am testing at present.

Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

I used Tevas - not again. Chacos are pretty good. For now I am hooked to the Sundowners.

The other thing LW may have missed in his list, which I believe he has mentioned in other threads is his permanent reluctance to wear a hiking kilt or skirt. I've worn of of them too.

I read everything LW writes as though my father had given me the advice. I think seriously about what he has to say, and then make up my own mind. I look forward to meeting him in Damascus one of these trips.

SeaJay
02-11-2005, 13:02

alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or TevasSo why not?

Footslogger
02-11-2005, 13:08
Be more specific.========================
...as in, what ARE you packin ??

'Slogger

wacocelt
02-11-2005, 13:20
So why not?

Please, please don't go there! Just pretend he's one of the cranky old men from the balcony of the Muppet Show, or better yet, think of him as the Oscar the Grouch of the AT. What he's really trying to do is cover up a well of love, compassion and understanding with the mask of gruff manliness he uses here. When and if you meet him in person the Carpenters music and faint whiff of patchouli will set yopu straight.

SGT Rock
02-11-2005, 14:31
Are you trying to say LWolf is a closet Hippy?

Lone Wolf
02-11-2005, 14:38
Yup. That's what he's saying. Visualize world peace man! Can you dig it? Love your mother. :sun Love & peace you cool cats.

Singletrack
02-11-2005, 14:48
LW, it's good to see ya using rubbers, you never know what you might catch now days.

-MYST-
02-11-2005, 14:58
Lone wolf,
I got to know, what do you use if you don't use an alcohol stove? I used an alcohol stove the whole way, never found anything better. Infact I like them so much I even make them and sell them on eBay for all the people that can't or don't want to take the time to make their own. Pretty darn cheap too. Will usually save a 1lb or more over most other stoves. Might be old news to us but new information for those that have yet to head out.

Cheap Well Made Alcohol Stove: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5163947192&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

And I really do want to lknow what Lone Wolf uses.......

Myst
the Adventure Continues.........

Ga->ME'04

Lone Wolf
02-11-2005, 15:03
For 15 years I used a Coleman Peak1 white gas stove. For the past 3 years I've used the MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove.

JoeHiker
02-11-2005, 15:16
Myst, that link goes to an auction for Tyvek

Lone Wolf
02-11-2005, 15:26
Met a guy about 8 years ago who had a pack and tent made out of TYVEK. He hiked barefoot too. Saw his footprints in the snow in the Smokys.

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2005, 16:10
I can think of a rather personal item that I'm very closely attached to that I didn't use much on most of my hikes, but this is a family website.

It sure comes in handy back in civilization, tho.

Lugnut
02-11-2005, 16:16
Jack, you're leaving yourself wide open! :D

ToeJam
02-11-2005, 16:27
LOL Jack! :D

On my spreadsheet, I have a few items marked "personal misc" with the weight as well... couldn't bear to leave them home, lol!

And ya "didn't use on MOST of your hikes"? Sometimes the weight was worth it I reckon??? My mind is spinning here, hmmmmmm...

MOWGLI
02-11-2005, 16:34
I can think of a rather personal item that I'm very closely attached to that I didn't use much on most of my hikes, but this is a family website.

But rosie you're all right -- you wear my ring
When you hold me tight -- rosie that's my thing
When you turn out the light -- I've got to hand it to me
Looks like it's me and you again tonight rosie

~jackson browne~

The Old Fhart
02-11-2005, 16:35
Lone Wolf-"Met a guy about 8 years ago who had a pack and tent made out of TYVEK. He hiked barefoot too. Saw his footprints in the snow in the Smokys." This was Tyvek Man. To see a photo of his tent at Trail Days, after 600 miles of use, click here. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2647/sort/1/cat/500/page/5) The tent was designed so he could also wear it as a rain coat. Real interesting person.

Nightwalker
02-11-2005, 16:43
A one is a person with sherpas, staying in air conditioned tents, eating filet mignon, has a daily change of Pategonia attire, uses a portable shower on the Trail and has limos waiting at every crossing to take him to a luxuary hotel to spend a zero unitil the sun shines..[/I]
Sounds like my first wife.....

SGT Rock
02-11-2005, 17:15
This was Tyvek Man. To see a photo of his tent at Trail Days, after 600 miles of use, click here. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2647/sort/1/cat/500/page/5) The tent was designed so he could also wear it as a rain coat. Real interesting person.

I wonder how many days he spent in a shelter :bse

tlbj6142
02-11-2005, 17:39

I walked my first section hike with just a 20 oz soft drink bottle for water. I saw someone sip on a platypus hose that hike, bought one and have used it since. I dearly love this piece of equipment. Like Hammock Hanger says, it seems to decrease the amount I drink during a day, because I don't gulp down more than I need.Funny. I stopped using a bladder for the same reason you switched. I found that I sipped from the bladder all day, but at the end of the day I'd still have quite a bit of water left. Which meant I barely drank enough water. Basically I had no idea how much water I was drinking so I was unable to pace myself. I was taking sips all day just to keep my mouth/throat moist, which is by no means enough to keep you hydrated.

Now that I have switched back to bottles (I use softsided bottles to keep weight down and to allow me to sqeeze out the air so I don't hear that damn sloshing sound all day), I can "see" how much water I'm drinking, and force myself to drink. I try to drink (including water for meal hydration) 5-6 quarts per day (roughly 1qt per 4-6 miles while hiking, plus 2 quarts in camp). Anything less doesn't appear to be enough.

When I was using a bladder, I found I was barely drinking 2-3 quarts per day. Which is OK for a day-hike, but on a longer trip you'll notice the affects of dehydration rather quickly.

So, what is your total daily water consumption?

KEEKER1
02-11-2005, 17:50
Hiking in the western U.S mountains, I do not use a water filter but thought I might need one on my thru- hike this year on the AT.
Reading this thread, all of you have almost convinced me to leave my filter @ home.

Sell me!!!:confused:

Footslogger
02-11-2005, 18:08
Hiking in the western U.S mountains, I do not use a water filter but thought I might need one on my thru- hike this year on the AT.
Reading this thread, all of you have almost convinced me to leave my filter @ home.

Sell me!!!:confused:=============================
There's already a lot of info here at Whiteblaze about water filtration/purification. Not sure if you'll be sold on any one method, or none at all. But the information, along with personal preferences is all there.

I carried a filter for years. Gave up on them a couple years before my thru-hike. It really comes down to what you're comfortable with.

'Slogger
AT 2003

-MYST-
02-11-2005, 18:26
Here is the correct web-link:

Cheap Well Made Alcohol Stove: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5161928183&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
And I really do want to lknow what Lone Wolf uses.......

Myst
the Adventure Continues.........

Ga->ME'04

Lone Wolf
02-11-2005, 18:28
Read post #33.

flyfisher
02-11-2005, 18:28
When I was using a bladder, I found I was barely drinking 2-3 quarts per day. Which is OK for a day-hike, but on a longer trip you'll notice the affects of dehydration rather quickly.

So, what is your total daily water consumption?

About 2 quarts of water a day in cool weather, double or more in hot. It's enough to keep my urine from getting concentrated. I often go 5-7 miles on a pint of water and then drink well at the next spring. I usually do not load up more than a pint of water if a spring is listed in the data someplace in the following 5 or 6 miles.

SGT Rock
02-11-2005, 20:07
I've never used a Nalgen bottle. F__k you and your F__king Nalgen bottles.:D

Lone Wolf
02-11-2005, 20:08
******* Rock! Now that's funny! :D

SGT Rock
02-11-2005, 20:15
Yep, but it is hard to make a sticker that will fit on my Leki Poles that you could still read :bse

peter_pan
02-11-2005, 20:34
Yup...sure looks like a lot of cheese needed here.

Tha Wookie
02-11-2005, 23:44
I never use (for thru-hiking):

gators
factory-made trail skewers
boots
computers (including cell phones, pocketmail, & GPS)
snake bite kits
a tent
head lamp
factory made stove (after AT '01)
profile maps
nalgene bottles (except a little one for hot sauce)
guitar (although I wish i did sometimes)
mountaineering sunglasses
a gun
ramen
bandana (ok, sometimes)
four foot stainless steel grilled cheese maker

Mountain Dew
02-12-2005, 00:53
You saw footprints in the snow while hiking through SMNP ? :banana That's one of those things that you have to see to believe. Until then I'll just call BS on that one. LW, do you not use any of those things because you don't like them or is it a sortof gimmick like wrestlers have in the WWE ? :rolleyes:

Wookie.... What happens if you need to take a piss at night on the trail ? You must have great night vision without a headlamp. :-?

Things I never use when hiking include:
1. wingfrauds self promoting handbook
2. somebody elses gear because I refuse to carry what I trully need on the trail for sake of being ultralight.
3. a cell phone
4. a gun for mental protection

ps...for those that wont carry something on the trail b/c it's the newest high tech gear I hope you enjoy your black and white tv's, your 8 tracks, converse high top hiking shoes, etc..... ;)

Nightwalker
02-12-2005, 02:50
Wookie.... What happens if you need to take a piss at night on the trail ? You must have great night vision without a headlamp. :-?
When I wake up in the middle of the night, I see just fine. I've been looking at the inside of my eyelids for hours. Lots darker in there.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2005, 07:32
No BS Mt. Dew. Tyvek Man hiked barefoot. Myself and others were amazed when we saw the prints in the snow. I don't use the stuff listed cuz I don't need them or like them. As far as headlamps. I hiked for 14 years before I bought one. I just used a candle before. For reading. I don't use the headlamp when pissing.

SGT Rock
02-12-2005, 07:52
What do you need a headlamp for when you piss?

Lone Wolf
02-12-2005, 08:19
Maybe Dew has a very tiny weenie and can't see it at night.

The Old Fhart
02-12-2005, 08:42
Lone Wolf-"No BS Mt. Dew. Tyvek Man hiked barefoot." If you check my post #40 you will see a link to a picture of his Tyvek tent. Instead of sewing the pieces of the tent together, he used the Tyvek tape which he also used for repair. I talked with him for some time and he indeed did hike barefooted for 600 miles, Springer to Damascus, and I met him at Trail Days. He showed me the bottoms of his feet that looked like dirty leather like a Sherpa's. He used the regular Tyvek house wrap for his pack and tent. I had been looking into using the (then new) Tyvek material that they used for lab coats and lightweight sports jackets for use in a tent I was designing so I found him interesting. I've got a photo of his pack somewhere and it was more worn than his tent. He told me he stopped at a shelter for lunch and some scouts stopped by. They saw his pack sitting there, thought it was a garbage bag, and started putting their trash into it! He was a sharp guy with an unusual vision.

hikerjohnd
02-12-2005, 09:16
I talked with him for some time and he indeed did hike barefooted for 600 miles, Springer to Damascus, and I met him at Trail Days. He showed me the bottoms of his feet that looked like dirty leather like a Sherpa's.
Did he thru-hike? Did he make it? I assume if he went 600 miles he was trying for Maine...

The Old Fhart
02-12-2005, 09:36
hikerjohnd-"Did he thru-hike? Did he make it? I assume if he went 600 miles he was trying for Maine..."He was only hiking the 600 miles to prove the feasibility of using the Tyvek. He went back home to NY after Trail Days.

Jaybird
02-12-2005, 10:22

alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

i like the list WOLF...& agree with almost all....
i NEVER, ever carry water filtration....(iodine or nothing for me)
i DO have Ti Leki trek poles
NEver, ever mac & cheez
my campshoes are Wal-Mart $2 specials (& only 4oz for the pair)
Santa brought me a Z-rest for Christmas..i'll try it out this spring..
& i LOVE my Sundowner MX-2s :D

Jaybird
02-12-2005, 10:25

alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

i like the list WOLF...& agree with almost all....
i NEVER, ever carry water filtration....(iodine or nothing for me)
i DO have Ti Leki trek poles
NEver, ever mac & cheez
my campshoes are Wal-Mart $2 specials (& only 4oz for the pair)
Santa brought me a Z-rest for Christmas..i'll try it out this spring..
& i LOVE my Sundowner MX-2s :D

section-hikin' (w/ "the Model T crew") APR 28-May 5: Hot SPrings-Erwin
May 6-7 Carvers Gap-Erwin
May 8-20 Damascus to Pearisburg,VA

tlbj6142
02-12-2005, 11:06
About 2 quarts of water a day in cool weather, double or more in hot. Wow. That seems awfully low. But if you feel good and your urine isn't orange, your fine.

While I consume 5-6 qts per day, I usually go to the bathroom once or twice per day. My body does a great job at sweating.:D If I consume less that 4 qts, my urine gets a bit too dark for my liking (I like to keep the mid-day and evening piss a light yellow color.)

I often go 5-7 miles on a pint of water and then drink well at the next spring. I usually do not load up more than a pint of water if a spring is listed in the data someplace in the following 5 or 6 miles.Excellent water strategy. I do the same (though replace pint with quart). I am often amazed at how much water hikers carry on thier person. Even NOBO thru-hikers ME. You'd thinking they'd know better. Many seem to load up their bladder with 3qts in the morning and hike all day with maybe one refill. I don't know about you, but I can "feel" the full quart I'm carrying when I leave a water source. Can't imagine carrying 3!

wacocelt
02-12-2005, 11:11
I picked up some words of wisdom that I try and practice, "Never cross water carrying water."

This might be difficult for those folks who tote 2 full nalgenes and a 2 liter playpus bag, but I believe they probably find lots of difficulties.

Mountain Dew
02-12-2005, 18:12
I didn't say that I doubted the fact that he hiked barefoot. I said that I seriously doubt if he hiked in the snow barefoot. OK, perhaps he might have for a few hundred feet, but to do so over a long distance would cause frostbite no doubt about it folks. ...oh and Paul Bunyan didn't chop down huge trees by the dozen either.

Lw, "Maybe Dew has a very tiny weenie and can't see it at night."--- hilarious...I got a good laugh out of that. :D Ever thought that people longer than a couple of inches need to aim unlike those with similarity's to infants who can just pull the pants down and let fly ? OK on a serious note here....

It's obvious who here pisses next to their tent at night because in low light there is no way you can walk more than several feet away from your tent and be able to see.

SGT Rock
02-14-2005, 20:46
Sure there is, takes practice. I do it all the time.

Tha Wookie
02-14-2005, 21:55
Me too. The dark ain't as scary as you think, Dew. Be still, and you will see the light.

SGT Rock
02-14-2005, 21:58
I wrote a piece a while back on learning to see in the dark. It is a good read and takes a little practice, but most people can learn to do it. Of course there are some people that are very night blind too.

http://hikinghq.net/night_hiking.html

MOWGLI
02-14-2005, 22:31
I wrote a piece a while back on learning to see in the dark. It is a good read and takes a little practice, but most people can learn to do it. Of course there are some people that are very night blind too.

http://hikinghq.net/night_hiking.html

I love night hiking. Always have. Some of my fondest memories of night hiking involve skinny dipping under the full moon in August and September. Flashlights definitely ruin the experience. There is a pond near Wawayanda State Park in NJ called Terrace Pond. Its actually in the Hewitt State Forest -perhaps 7-8 miles from the AT as the raven flies. I'm sure somebody here knows the place.

Another fun activity was night hiking for ice skating under the full moon! Now that can cause an adrenaline rush - especially when the ice lets out a loud groan or an explosive crack in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, there's none of that kinda thing in Tennessee.

cutman11
02-14-2005, 22:46
As far as hiking barefoot in the snow, I met a southbound thruhiker a few years ago in the Smokies who had hiked with the famous "barefoot sisters" from Maine for over 1500 mi. He told me, and there was no reason for him to lie, that they had started with a plan to hike the whole way barefooted, and only started using footwear(rubber soled tennis shoes) when it got too cold, because they were AFRAID OF SLIPPING ON THE ICE, not because of concern about the cold! He said they were actually more concerned about having foot problems from wearing the shoes than from hurting their bare feet on the trail. They had hiked their whole lives in Maine on trails barefooted and had very tough soles on their feet.

Mountain Dew
02-15-2005, 02:49
Wookie, "Me too. The dark ain't as scary as you think, Dew. Be still, and you will see the light." --- I never said anything about being affraid of the dark. Read again and you will see the light. :)
---------------------------------

cutman11... I have heard of them and even met them at Trail Dayz last year. They are nowhere near famous, but that line did make me laugh. They bought footwear to protect their feet from the cold. Read last sentence again. To say otherwise is to be mislead by second hand knowledge in this case. Believe it if you want, but logic tells me that people just can't walk in the freezing rain and snow for prolonged periods of time with bare feet. oh..and they did use shoes other than to get past snow/ice. I know. I talked to them. ;)

Mags
02-15-2005, 12:27
I love night hiking. Always have.

I head up a night hike about once a month. Usually under a full moon. Simply magical. As with you, I try to encourage people to turn off the headlamps. Once your eyes adjust to the moonlight, you really do not need a headlamp. It is simply magical.

Next week I am doing a full moon snowshoe or ski. Should be awesome!

MOWGLI
02-15-2005, 13:07
I head up a night hike about once a month. Usually under a full moon. Simply magical. As with you, I try to encourage people to turn off the headlamps. Once your eyes adjust to the moonlight, you really do not need a headlamp. It is simply magical.

Next week I am doing a full moon snowshoe or ski. Should be awesome!

Funny story. I night hiked into Whitley Gap Sheter 1.5 miles off of the AT on March 11, 2000. I arrived after 8 PM with my headlamp blazing, primarily 'cause a hellacious storm was blowing in that night. Inside the shelter was a thru-hiker from the prior year - '99. As I arrived I heard him say to his friend - "Geez, it's early March, and already they're night hiking." :D

Yup, I'm a trend setter. he he

Tenacious Tanasi
02-15-2005, 14:31
What do you need a headlamp for when you piss?

To check for snakes so I don't get bit on the a$$ as well as for poison ivy so I don't get a bad rash somewhere I'd prefer not to when I have to squat!!!

You guys are just sooo lucky.

MOWGLI
02-15-2005, 14:42
To check for snakes so I don't get bit on the a$$ as well as for poison ivy so I don't get a bad rash somewhere I'd prefer not to when I have to squat!!!

You guys are just sooo lucky.

Shelly, as a Mother, I thought you'd appreciate this.

http://mapsu.org/

Mountain Dew
02-15-2005, 14:56
I'll beat Lone Wolf/SGT. Rock to the punch here..... NO I DON'T SQUAT TO PEE !!! :banana

Tenacious Tanasi
02-15-2005, 14:59
Shelly, as a Mother, I thought you'd appreciate this.

http://mapsu.org/

LMAO!!!! That was soo hilarious!!! :jump

And, I gotta say as a female...I have to highly recommend that each and every male follow the sage advice on the Harm Reduction page. :D

SGT Rock
02-15-2005, 21:10
I'll beat Lone Wolf/SGT. Rock to the punch here..... NO I DON'T SQUAT TO PEE !!! :banana

LOL! :clap

One Leg
02-15-2005, 23:31
Sure there is, takes practice. I do it all the time.

Rock, all you gotta do is hang your weenie out of your hammock...No piss dribbling in your tent, unless perhaps you've enjoyed a bit too much bourbon prior to turning in. :D

Hey, that reminds me...I've still got your hammock....Shoot me an email or call me....

One Leg

One Leg
02-15-2005, 23:38
Just realized I set myself up big-time here and left a huge opening for attack.....Rock has more than one tent, and no, there's no piss-stains in the one I used.. :D

Hungry
02-22-2008, 16:52
Lone Wolf,

Anything change on this in 3 years? Just curious. Time for an update.

Hungry

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 16:54
Lone Wolf,

Anything change on this in 3 years? Just curious. Time for an update.

Hungry

i borrowed a cell phone or two since then. all else remains the same

Jack Tarlin
02-22-2008, 17:00
Time for an update?

I still stand by Post #36. There are some things that you carry that may as well be left at home. :D

jrwiesz
02-22-2008, 17:00
...I don't stay in shelters...I don't eat cheese...I do not eat pizza. I do not, have not, will not... :)

Do you like green eggs and ham, Wolf Siam?:D

Kirby
02-22-2008, 17:17
As far as using the facilities at night(if your a male), you don't need a head lamp. Walk to the nearest tree and take care of your business(assuming #1).

Kirby

spittinpigeon
02-22-2008, 17:19
I think I carried a packtowel the whole way. Used it once.

mweinstone
02-22-2008, 17:25
toilet paper
water filters
canteen or bottles
spare anything
any extra clothes(one set)
groundcloth or tent bottom
full length rigerest(4 foot)
anything that stuffs in a sac(all in one pack w/no stuffs)
metle spoon or fork
maps or guides
any music or radio
any knife larger than one inch
my two cents. and mostly lies. i lie alot. in 06 i carryed a filter. had lots of maps and guides. so im full of crap. see ya at the doyal.

doggiebag
02-22-2008, 17:31
I thought I'd use an MP3 player (just a tiny cheap one) - oddly enough I never even had the desire to cover up the sounds of the trail. I ended up leaving it in a hiker box somewhere. Besides ... I wanted to hear anything big moving around (man or beast) ... specially at night when I'm camped. :eek:

maxNcathy
02-22-2008, 18:24

alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

LW, I respect your great experience of hiking the AT.
Can you share something about getting water without treating it?..are all sources good or do you look for certain things when getting water that is safe?
Or do you think some people can tolerate most any type of water better than others?
Another question, what gear do you use that you really like?
I sure would like to not have to fiddle with treating water.
Thanks, Sandalwood

mweinstone
02-22-2008, 18:45
ill feild that lwolf dont get up. sir or mamm. in responce to your recent inquiry concerning lwolfs sexual reassingnment surgury,...im happy to let you know he died on the table. and its a good thing. cause if he woke up and found out we did it to him,...well,..you know......it wouldnt have been pritty. dino? may we have a visual?

dessertrat
02-22-2008, 21:39

alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

I guess you don't like cheese.

dessertrat
02-22-2008, 21:41

Water Filer
Camp Chair

I have also never used a camp chair, and never filed my water!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-22-2008, 22:14
As far as using the facilities at night(if your a male), you don't need a head lamp. Walk to the nearest tree and take care of your business(assuming #1).You might want to reconsider.... (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=313105#post313105)

warraghiyagey
02-22-2008, 22:29
Tampons.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 23:03
LW, I respect your great experience of hiking the AT.
Can you share something about getting water without treating it?..are all sources good or do you look for certain things when getting water that is safe?
Or do you think some people can tolerate most any type of water better than others?
Another question, what gear do you use that you really like?
I sure would like to not have to fiddle with treating water.
Thanks, Sandalwood

i never get water from wide creeks in valleys. all water i get up high in the mtns.
i really like my tent, stove and 2 cook pots

hopefulhiker
02-23-2008, 00:19
GPS
Steripen
Hydration bladder
Camp Chair
Believe it or not,, I never had to eat Ramen Noodles on the trail!
drinking alcohol or any controlled substances, for that matter..
fork

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 00:20
that's goddam admirable

vonfrick
02-23-2008, 00:24
Tampons.

you crack me up:D

Rockhound
02-23-2008, 01:00
a tuba, a gun, an anvil, a ceiling fan, a pogo stick, shark repelent, a members only jacket, dehydrated water, a lug wrench, a hello kitty lunch box, an ottoman, and a jackhammer are things i never have or ever will take with me on a long distance/thru-hike

CaseyB
02-23-2008, 02:51
a tuba, a gun, an anvil, a ceiling fan, a pogo stick, shark repelent, a members only jacket, dehydrated water, a lug wrench, a hello kitty lunch box, an ottoman, and a jackhammer are things i never have or ever will take with me on a long distance/thru-hike
Members only and hello kitty? anybody sporting either/both has my respect(fear). Keep your crazy ass on the TN side, please;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-23-2008, 07:05
Oil of Olay (http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/310828.jpg), toothpaste, a car air freshener (http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Files/AUTO/Car-air-cleaner/Paper-Air-Freshener-21020117895.jpg), a lap quilt (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-sqKYq6PL._AA280_.jpg), a baby blanket, a mesh sieve (http://www.waresdirect.com/zoom_product.asp?prodID=JR3512), a beer stein (http://4imgs.com/306/x/mk205_FULL.jpg), a turtle, War and Peace, an eight-track tape player (http://www.geocities.com/justirishmusic/8track.html) with tapes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_8) or a full-size bottle of baby shampoo (http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/390898.jpg).

DAKS
02-23-2008, 07:23
the members only jacket! this might be a new must have for the trail! it's 100% polyester(i think?). has those neat little shoulder epaulets which you could run yer' shoulder straps through, thus doing away with the need for a sternum strap and saving weight! your pack might look like a jet pack 'er sumpin' then! it comes in an assortment of colors except camo(sorry neo). oh and don't forget the neat "members only" logo on the pocket! although i must admit i would hack that off to save weight! might be the next big thing, but prolly' not!:-?:D

Marta
02-23-2008, 08:12
Oil of Olay (http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/310828.jpg), toothpaste, a car air freshener (http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Files/AUTO/Car-air-cleaner/Paper-Air-Freshener-21020117895.jpg), a lap quilt (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-sqKYq6PL._AA280_.jpg), a baby blanket, a mesh sieve (http://www.waresdirect.com/zoom_product.asp?prodID=JR3512), a beer stein (http://4imgs.com/306/x/mk205_FULL.jpg), a turtle, War and Peace, an eight-track tape player (http://www.geocities.com/justirishmusic/8track.html) with tapes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_8) or a full-size bottle of baby shampoo (http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/390898.jpg).

Funny you should mention War and Peace. I was thinking it would be good winter-camping reading material because I wouldn't get through it too fast.* Of course I have the lightweight paperback 2 volume set. The print is awfully small, though.

Anyway, I have to finish Moby Dick first.

*From Skittles' current TJ:
"Days it took me to read Grishom's "The Innocent Man": 2"
Which is the problem with short, snappy fiction--it has no staying power.

rafe
02-23-2008, 10:26
three-hole punch

maxNcathy
02-23-2008, 10:47
My burden is light and the trail is ultra bright when I leave behind:

tonnes of problems, woes, and worries
and every gram of guilt

Sandalwood

Shadowmoss
02-23-2008, 10:49
Tampons.

Switched to the Diva cup, huh? I've heard they are easier while on the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
02-23-2008, 11:46
Neither. Just bored. Just adding one more stupid thread to the dozens of others.
your bored with the trail right in your backyard, i wish i lived right next to the trail. i agree with your list except i like my pur hiker filter, i dont always filter but its nice to have on hand.

Just Jeff
02-23-2008, 11:53
I usually enjoy meself better when I leave behind the tent. And thoughts of work when I can manage it.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 12:44
you crack me up:D

I try.:):p Although my humor is rarely 100% success. . . ahem

Switched to the Diva cup, huh? I've heard they are easier while on the trail.

No, just never really needed them.:rolleyes:

Bearpaw
02-23-2008, 13:21
A plastic bag for my poop.

An alcohol stove.

A blackberry, the electronic kind, not the edible one.

Things I am surprised to say I HAVE carried:

GPS (we taught its use in the later stages of NOLS courses).

An MP3 player (I carried it on the Sheltowee Trace last Summer and enjoyed some music in camp).

Camp Chair (Again, NOLS courses, where you spend a lot of time in camp in classes).

A 2+ pound spice kit (Another NOLS extravagance, but it is nice making pizza, lasagna, and biscuits in camp).

Small teddy bears. :banana

An inflatable pillow (A stuff sack with extra clothing still works better IMO).

A girlfriend's pack, in addition to my own. :o

A full-length hard-cover Harry Potter, Volume 6. :D

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 13:46
your bored with the trail right in your backyard, i wish i lived right next to the trail.

there is much more to life, damascus and the surrounding area than just "the trail"

saimyoji
02-23-2008, 14:00
there is much more to life, damascus and the surrounding area than just "the trail"

....and yet, you're bored....:rolleyes:

musta run outa beer :D

saimyoji
02-23-2008, 14:01

I take it back...don't believe you were really bored...just feelin' mischievous

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 14:02
Ummm, the thread (and original bored comment) started just over two years ago. Just so everyone knows. K? K.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 14:03

it's a 3 year old post. was bored at the time :rolleyes:

i never run out of beer. it's about 60 steps out my back door to resupply

saimyoji
02-23-2008, 14:06
K. Well then, one time I had a flask of gin that I carried the whole hike. Never touched a drop.

But drank the whole thing once I got home.

DAKS
02-23-2008, 14:07
it's a 3 year old post. was bored at the time :rolleyes:

i never run out of beer. it's about 60 steps out my back door to resupply

resupply, is that via mail-drop or trail magic?:D

Programbo
02-23-2008, 14:30
alcohol stove
hammock/tarp/bivy
Thermarest
Anything titanium
AT guide books
Waldies/Crocs or Tevas

Wow this is an old thread but since someones revived it for whatever reason I`ll reply..I`ll agree with this whole list except maybe the AT guide book part and Mac and Cheese

Sly
02-23-2008, 14:37
If LW were to get serious about a thru-hike, not so much on the AT but a western trail, his list would change. :)

warraghiyagey
02-23-2008, 14:54
K. Well then, one time I had a flask of gin that I carried the whole hike. Never touched a drop.

But drank the whole thing once I got home.
Sounds like the title of a good vignette.
'Taking my gin for a walk.'

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 14:59
If LW were to get serious about a thru-hike, not so much on the AT but a western trail, his list would change. :)

i have no interest in thru-hiking any trail. why rush it?

rafe
02-23-2008, 15:38

Tell us about it. If not for LW's sake -- I'm sure others would like to know. ;)

Lone Wolf
02-23-2008, 15:53
yeah, what would i change? :-?

CrumbSnatcher
02-23-2008, 19:19
Met a guy about 8 years ago who had a pack and tent made out of TYVEK. He hiked barefoot too. Saw his footprints in the snow in the Smokys.
i believe i met the same dude,rumor had it that awhile later while he was off at a spring to get water. a boyscout troop thought his tyvek backpack was a garbage bag and proceeded to fill it with the nasty ass garbage from the fire ring!

CrumbSnatcher
02-23-2008, 19:25
[quote=KEEKER1;85767]Hiking in the western U.S mountains, I do not use a water filter but thought I might need one on my thru- hike this year on the AT.

Sell me!!!:confused:[/quote most of the sources are great. but not all. how about when mud puddles and beaver ponds are your water source?i think i'll break out my filter.:banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-23-2008, 19:28
Met a guy about 8 years ago who had a pack and tent made out of TYVEK. He hiked barefoot too. Saw his footprints in the snow in the Smokys.http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/8/5/5/2007_May09_LovelDay_Tyvek_01.jpg

CrumbSnatcher
02-23-2008, 19:55
so washing tyvek,or drying or whatever they do? does that make it waterproof. because tyvek on its own is water resistent not waterproof. and it only works hanging on the way so moisture can run off.

fiddlehead
02-23-2008, 22:28

compass!

Sly
02-23-2008, 23:47
Tell us about it. If not for LW's sake -- I'm sure others would like to know. ;)

i have no interest in thru-hiking any trail. why rush it?

That's why I said, if....

compass!

Yes, a compass of some type would most certainly be useful. Some type of water treatment (iodine or bleach) for the really nasty cow piss water source could come in handy. An alcohol stove unless he was cool with carry a bunch of canisters or doing mail drops since outfitters are few and far......

Almost There
02-24-2008, 01:03
What's the deal with everyone reviving old threads???:-?

Y'all that bored, need to get out and hit the trail!

I think pretty much everything I have carried...I have used.

Things I'll never carry!

Raingear in the summer
State guidebooks
Duct Tape (I prefer athletic tape, sticks better to skin)
Pot
Canned food
Ramen...never again!
Beef Jerky
Gold Bond
Deodorant

Almost There
02-24-2008, 01:05
BTW-bringin' up Tyvek Man...that's genius!:D