PDA

View Full Version : Manchester NH to Hanover - Asking for Suggestions Please

MovingOn
08-06-2011, 21:19
Hello all! I'm headed up to Hanover for a 3 week NOBO section hike. I've purchased a plane ticket from Philadelphia to Manchester (because I couldn't find one that went to Lebanon Regional Airport...please let me know if you know of one that does). I'm not completely sure about how to get from Manchester to Hanover, so any suggestions would be welcome. All I know right now is to use the Greyhound which unfortunately leaves at 3PM and gets me there too late to hike. If you have any more suitable options, please let me know. Thanks much.

Wombat Farm
08-07-2011, 00:00
Greyhound will be it I beleive. It's not easy to get anywhere in New England via bus. Don't worry about getting to Hanover at 3 pm though, there is a shelter/campsite not far from the ball field and downtown area (it is in the guide) - Velvet Rocks if my memory services me correct. It is a VERY easy hiking area so you could easily cover a few miles before dark even if you start at 5pm this time of year. Have fun!

:D

Driver8
08-07-2011, 01:02
Check out Peter Pan bus lines - often they are better in New England than Greyhound.

MovingOn
08-07-2011, 09:37
Thanks to you both! I'll check out Peter Pan, but if not, it sounds like I'll just take it easy the first evening. Happy trails.

MovingOn
08-07-2011, 09:44
Quick update for those who check this post later on...

Peter Pan doesn't quite reach Hanover. Although it may be a little convenient for people using Greyhound that they only leave at 3PM from Manchester, it seems to be the way to go. Greyhound has a station directly in the airport terminal at Manchester and gives you no-stop service to the heart of Hanover. Tough to beat, I just wish they had more departure options.

Driver8
08-07-2011, 19:18
Greyhound has a station directly in the airport terminal at Manchester and gives you no-stop service to the heart of Hanover. Tough to beat, I just wish they had more departure options.

Just be sure to line up well in advance of departure time from Manchester to make sure you get a seat on the bus. There's a long thread here with complaints from bad experiences, including being refused both a seat and a refund in one case. Assuming you make it ok to Hanover, I gather it's a fun town with a lot to do. I can think of many worse fates than to have to hang out there for an evening. Hope you enjoy!