PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an easy section

Stovemonkey
08-07-2011, 14:37
I just got done hiking Port Clinton to Leigh Gap, it was a great challenge. I plan on hiking another section in a bit and I'd like my old man to come. So I was wondering what sections are relatively easy, my old man has been out of the backpacking game for alittle so I don't want him to struggle much. I was think PA 183 to Port clinton, how is that? but if their are any other sections that aren't that hard let me know, any info to help me plan this next hike would be greatly appreciated. Ohh, I would like it to be a relative short distance not like the 40 miles i just did(don't think the old man is up for that yet). thanks

rambunny
08-07-2011, 17:51
I'd suggest looking in the data book for small sections that you could possibly spot cars &dayhike. You may need a Gazateer which shows the backroads.Watch the profiles on the maps. Pa. is one of my favorite states because once you are out of the gap wahoo! Caldonia to Pen-Mar has lots of roads fairly "easy".Happy Trails!

OldFeet
08-08-2011, 08:42
Calenodia SP to Pine Grove Furnace SP is just under 20 miles if that's the distance you're looking for. It's also pretty tame terrain and the shelters are well spaced giving you some options.

camojack
08-09-2011, 03:48
I just got done hiking Port Clinton to Leigh Gap, it was a great challenge. I plan on hiking another section in a bit and I'd like my old man to come. So I was wondering what sections are relatively easy, my old man has been out of the backpacking game for alittle so I don't want him to struggle much. I was think PA 183 to Port clinton, how is that? but if their are any other sections that aren't that hard let me know, any info to help me plan this next hike would be greatly appreciated. Ohh, I would like it to be a relative short distance not like the 40 miles i just did(don't think the old man is up for that yet). thanks
Take him to Forbidden Drive in the Wissahickon Valley for starters, to evaluate what he can do. It's fairly level, easy terrain that's nearby...and there are a lot of other options thereabouts that are a bit more challenging if he/you want that. Send me a PM if you would like to know more, or check out the Friends of the Wissahickon website: http://fow.org/

Stovemonkey
08-09-2011, 16:34
well my dad has done the AT before just hasn't in awhile so I know he is cabable of doing it. I just want to find something that isn't to long or hard, since he will be just getting back into it.

Spirit Walker
08-09-2011, 22:29
Caledonia to Pine Grove is a really nice overnight hike with several bail out points if necessary. Spotting cars at each end is simple since they are both on the same road. South of Caledonia the hiking is also pretty easy.

rjjones
08-11-2011, 22:28
From PA 645 to Port Clinton is very flat until the decent down into Port Clinton.Thats about a 26 mile stretch.Some rocky areas but thats PA.If you start at Swatara,it looks like a moderate climb.That would make it around 36 miles.All pretty easy.

BabySue
08-12-2011, 18:39
Shenandoah National Park. It's not too difficult (in the right weather). And it weaves along Skyline Drive; thus you have repeated road crossings in case of troubles. The slow speed limit and park atmosphere makes it easy to hitch a ride anywhere along Skyline Drive. For example, if you set out to do 15 miles, but dad is pretty wiped out at 10 miles, just head for the road and thumb a ride.