PDA

View Full Version : Nemo Sleeping Pads

HockeyGirl
08-07-2011, 16:31
I'm looking to part with my cash for a Nemo pad, have settled on the 'Astro' range and trying to work out the difference between the Astro Air and the Astro Air Insulated.
I've checked the specs on their website and it seems the only difference is in weight, the insulated being quite a bit heavier.

Does anyone know if the insulated bit simply means it's made of heavier material and therefore supposed to retain body heat better?
Anyone have any experience of these pads and wants to offer some comments about them?

I'm hoping they'll help me sleep warmer on the ground - I currently have to use a Thermarest foam ridgerest AND woman's prolite just to keep from freezing.

Any advice on whether to go for the pillow top thing too?

Thanks for any help! :)

Limeman
08-08-2011, 15:21
A quick search via Google provides plenty of answers about this pad, but in a nut-shell it is insulated internally with open-cell foam, which makes up for the increased weight over the non-insulated Astro pad. You also have a nice option of adding a memory foam pillow-top for increased comfort when car camping, etc - although at a significant weight penalty when you use both components together. But you can always separate them according to need, so could be a nice feature. Was also a Backpacker mag award winner for this year: http://www.backpacker.com/editors-choice-2011-nemo-astro-insulated-sleeping-pad/videos/153