PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why..

pcasebere
08-07-2011, 18:01
..would you want to hike and feel so wonderful, and then eat so poorly?

A lot of times I see people talk about pre-packaged foods that are "just add water," but if you look at the ingredients it's a bit scary. There are additives, colors, preservatives, and what not. On the other hand there are foods you can add water to such as couscous that are great! But the pre-packaged stuff.. the convenience foods.. it's been smoldering for a bit of a while.. sorry about the rant, I had to get it out.

brian039
08-07-2011, 18:07
Additives, colors, and preservatives have been around a long time. People live longer now than ever before. That being said, many times when you resupply on the trail you don't have a lot of choices.

WingedMonkey
08-07-2011, 18:33
..would you want to hike and feel so wonderful, and then eat so poorly?

A lot of times I see people talk about pre-packaged foods that are "just add water," but if you look at the ingredients it's a bit scary. There are additives, colors, preservatives, and what not. On the other hand there are foods you can add water to such as couscous that are great! But the pre-packaged stuff.. the convenience foods.. it's been smoldering for a bit of a while.. sorry about the rant, I had to get it out.

Not that I'm a big defender of "just add water meals", but couscous is no health food either. It's basically just semolina flour like spaghetti. It has almost no fiber, no vitamins or minerals unless added, and is only 96 calories per ounce. Easy to fix? Yes. Nutritional? Not much. Maybe as a base for a meal but it's not much going for it on it's own.

:sun