PDA

View Full Version : Numbness in fingers and toes

30 Large
08-07-2011, 18:08
Have any of you experienced numbness in your toes and fingers after backpacking? I had experienced some in a few of my toes for a day or two after carrying a 50+ pound pack during training over the previous six months but after my trip to WA state and having a 30-50 pack+ on for 12+ hours on one climb and 8+ hours on another climb, fingers and toes continue to be numb three weeks later.

I'm going to do some research on the Internet and I'm due for a physical at my doctor's office anyway but thought I'd check with everyone. Although I had conditioned myself to my backpack and weight, perhaps the shoulder straps are too narrow and causing nerve compression / damage (at least related to my fingers, not sure about my toes, perhaps the weight on my hips from the pack or just increased weight on my foot?)

Thanks.

gumball
08-07-2011, 20:43
Are you a smoker, by any chance?

Slo-go'en
08-07-2011, 21:12
I'd guess a pinched nerve in the neck. Once lost all feelings in my left thumb and much of my strength in that arm from a heavy pack. A chropractor fixed it in about 10 seconds. He just had to push in the right spot.

vamelungeon
08-07-2011, 21:12
Go see a doctor.

30 Large
08-07-2011, 21:31
Quit smoking a bit ago and I have a doctor appointment scheduled in the next couple of days. I thought about a chiropractor, but I have reservations about them.

fiddlehead
08-08-2011, 00:15
I often get numbness in my fingers. Especially when sleeping.
Not my toes though.
I chalk it up to getting old. But, you are only half my age.
I didn't have the problem when I was younger.
I'm pretty healthy so I don't worry about it.