PDA

View Full Version : Vermont AT Conditions

trainhopper
08-07-2011, 19:15
I am planning a 9 day hike on the Vermont section of the AT and was just wondering if anyone had any updates on recent trail conditions. We were originally going to hike the Northville Placid Trail but are relocating due to terrible conditions with mud and washed out bridges. I know the AT is maintained very well but I want to make sure the trail is not extremely muddy like in upstate NY. Any info would helpful. Thanks!

Slo-go'en
08-07-2011, 22:04
Can't say first hand, but shouldn't be too bad or at least as good as it gets. The LT has a reputation of being on the muddy side.

Driver8
08-08-2011, 00:44
I'd guess it would be muddier this year than last, as this year has been significantly wetter. I've not monitored VT weather closely, though, just CT. But it's almost always wetter up there, in southern VT at least than here, and it's been good and wet here.

double d
08-08-2011, 02:17
Was on the AT/LT in July, lots of rain and of course, mud! Also, alot of hikers, many of them long distance hikers. Great place to hike, can't beat Vermont in the summer, but again, lots of mud and roots.

Jeff
08-08-2011, 06:06
2011 has been drier than normal in Vermont this summer. But, the past few days of scattered rain showers has brought back some of that mud that makes us famous. The thruhiker bubble is here big time and should thin out dramatically by late August. Water sources are doing fine.

trainhopper
08-08-2011, 15:49
Thanks for the info guys!

4eyedbuzzard
08-08-2011, 17:12
Just got back today from hiking the Rt 9 to Kelley Stand Rd/Stratton sections. There is mud here and there but nothing over an couple of inches deep and nothing that can't be navigated by decent foot placement unless you try to go straight through every muddy section. And it rained like hell Sat night so we probably got the worst of what its been like lately (the trail was a brook in some places Sun morning). Mostly just wet rocks and roots (normal).

Pringles
08-08-2011, 18:37
I hiked near Hanover last week, in Vermont. Mud was no problem. Pringles