PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on AT land

yotarunner77
08-08-2011, 01:18
What is the official ruling on hunting on and around the AT....I have heard many different things from no hunting whatsoever to hunt anywere (safely) according to the state hunting regulations.

birchy
08-08-2011, 06:48
It has been my experience that hunting along the AT is generally a matter of what agency has control over that particular tract of land. In my area of Michaux State Forest, hunting is permitted, but most locals know to be extra careful around the trail corridor. In PA the trail crosses state game lands (SGL's) where hunting pressure is high. For the most part, if hunting is not permitted there will be signs posted.

Tennessee Viking
08-08-2011, 08:31
What is the official ruling on hunting on and around the AT....I have heard many different things from no hunting whatsoever to hunt anywere (safely) according to the state hunting regulations.That is actually correct...Much of the trail runs through many tracts of public and private lands. In the south, most of the trail runs through national forests and gamelands where hunting is regulated by state and federal laws. However in SNP and GSMNP hunting is prohibited. Then when you are in the TN/NC section, you really have to pay attention to which side of the state line you are on.

You really just have to research the areas to see where one can hunt and be properly permitted before going out.

I believe PA has some of the strictest hunting laws. Hunters and hikers have to have so many square inches of visible

partly cloudy
08-08-2011, 08:55
Best bet is to wear Blaze Orange. A good bright hat and a pack cover works great. In areas with high hunting pressure, talk to you buddies or whistle a tune. Not loud but something to distinguish yourself from the wildlife. Respect the hunter and they will respect you.

birchy
08-08-2011, 09:16
During hunting season Blaze Orange is a no brainer. As far as irritating noises, I strongly discourage that. Hunters will actually be irritated by such noise making the scenario worse. Most hunters will be aware of a hiking trail and will be more vigilant in that area.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 09:45
During hunting season Blaze Orange is a no brainer. As far as irritating noises, I strongly discourage that. Hunters will actually be irritated by such noise making the scenario worse. Most hunters will be aware of a hiking trail and will be more vigilant in that area.

That logic leaves my head spinning. If "most hunters" are aware of a hiking trail, and if thus there's no need to whistle, etc., then likewise there's no need to wear blaze orange if "most hunters" know the same. I don't agree with that logic. It's not the "most hunters" (the good ones) that worry me or who are known to shoot people by mistake, it's all those other hunters.

Wear blaze orange and make noise. Why go half stealth?

Rain Man

birchy
08-08-2011, 09:55
I'm not saying that it is not a good idea to make your presence known when you encounter a hunter. What I'm saying is that hiking through the woods yelling screaming, and whistling, the entire time is just unnecessary and hunters will find that irritating, which could lead to a confrontation. If a hunter has a deer in his sights and you come strolling along a trail making noise, they may get pretty steamed. If you are that concerned "STAY OUT OF THE WOODS". You have more of a chance of being shot in downtown Philadelphia then in the woods along the AT, but you don't walk down the street in blaze orange making loud obnoxious noise, or MAY BE YOU DO.....

birchy
08-08-2011, 10:18
Here is a portion of an article published by the AMC

Each year we at the AMC get questions about hiking during hunting season. Many people, especially those unfamiliar with the traditions of hunting, are fearful of venturing into the woods during hunting season.Caution is certainly advisable, but fear isn't necessary, if you think about where you're going and you prepare properly for your trip. The best form of preparation is in the clothing you wear and the places you choose to go.
I avoid wearing white during hunting season. A flash of white may be mistaken for the white of a deer's tail. Follow the lead of hunters when you dress for a fall hike. Items of blaze-orange clothing that are visible from all directions are best. For instance, an orange cap or an orange jacket encircle the wearer in color. Inexpensive, orange, vinyl vests are easy to come by in outdoors shops or department stores. And don't forget your four-legged pal. Pet stores carry blaze-orange collars and mesh vests for Fido's safety, too.
Hunters generally know where hiking trails are located, so it's not a bad idea to stick to established trails and limit off-trail trampings at this time of year.
All that said, remember that a responsible hunter never fires until he is absolutely certain of his target.
According to a statement from the New Hampshire Fish & Game Department, "the increased voluntary use of hunter orange clothing and the steadfast efforts of volunteers in the hunter education program for the past 35 years" have been credited for declining numbers of hunting accidents.
Keeping in mind that there are many areas where the hiking is great and the hunting isn't, I'll often head for the high country for an autumn outing. There are some areas where the habitat isn't attractive to game, but where views are well worth the trip. Consider hiking away from areas that are popular with hunters. Nowhere does it recommend that you make unnecessary noise. Blaze Orange and vigilance is all that is required.

swamprat
08-08-2011, 10:20
Got to agree with birchy. Why make noise and piss off the man with the gun. Respect the hunter's wishes to be their also. Wear the hunter's orange if you know you are in a hunting area during hunting season, it's just common sense. Chances are, if you are the hunter you will try and stay away from the trail anyway. At least I would.

ki0eh
08-08-2011, 10:37
What is the official ruling on hunting on and around the AT....I have heard many different things from no hunting whatsoever to hunt anywere (safely) according to the state hunting regulations.

Right here, scroll down: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/health-safety - the short answer, as already given, is that it depends based on who actually manages the land the A.T. uses.

I see you are in Dauphin, the A.T. in the area does go through quite a mish-mash of State Game Lands, State Forest Land (both open to hunting) and National Park Service A.T. corridor lands (NOT legally open to hunting but often hunted by the unaware or the scofflaw). As an example, on Peters Mountain (PA), west of PA 225 is NPS and no hunting, east of PA 225 for a ways is also NPS (no hunting), but then enters Ibberson Conservation Area (hunting allowed), then State Game Lands down to PA 325 (hunting allowed).

Trailbender
08-08-2011, 11:50
I'm not saying that it is not a good idea to make your presence known when you encounter a hunter. What I'm saying is that hiking through the woods yelling screaming, and whistling, the entire time is just unnecessary and hunters will find that irritating, which could lead to a confrontation. If a hunter has a deer in his sights and you come strolling along a trail making noise, they may get pretty steamed. If you are that concerned "STAY OUT OF THE WOODS". You have more of a chance of being shot in downtown Philadelphia then in the woods along the AT, but you don't walk down the street in blaze orange making loud obnoxious noise, or MAY BE YOU DO.....

Heh, at least gangbangers have worse aim and equipment.

Jim Adams
08-09-2011, 00:54
Wearing blaze orange makes it easy to be scene.
Wearing blaze orange and making useless noise makes you an easy target.

geek

4eyedbuzzard
08-09-2011, 09:08
If all hunters positively identified their target, as they should and if trained have been taught to do, virtually hunting accidents simply wouldn't happen regardless of humans wearing orange, or white, or anything else. Invariably, it's the same excuse - "It was getting dark (and I hadn't shot / killed anything yet today and I'm itchin' to), and I heard / saw / had a psychic vision of something out of the corner of my eye (and I hadn't shot / killed anything yet today and I'm really itchin' to now), so I swung around and emptied the magazine at what I thought was a deer / bear / moose/ turkey." Some stupid ass game warden (who you would think might just practice proper hunting safety) up here shot and killed his own son a couple of years back. In the final analysis, some people simply shouldn't be allowed to own guns. They just will never be responsible enough.

I have never pulled the trigger on something I thought was something. I KNEW exactly what I was shooting at. Every f'in time. You cannot mistake a human for a deer or anything else if you ID your target. PERIOD!
I'm not saying don't wear blaze orange, as it maybe could save your life. But if some ahole is going to shoot at movement or a target he hasn't positively identified, and if you're in the area he's hunting, you are in danger no matter if you are wearing orange and whistling dixie out your . . .

"I'll be fine if I wear a bit of blaze orange won't I?" Some interesting stuff here on http://www.huntersafetylab.com/faq/ particularly, the FAQ on buck fever, scenario fullfillment, etc. leading to hunters who "swore it was a deer". I don't buy it. As noted before, some people simply shouldn't be allowed to own guns.

Tuckahoe
08-09-2011, 09:19
A lot of heartache could be avoided if folks just followed four simple rules about firearms handling --

1. All weapons are always real and always loaded
2. Do not point the weapon at a target you do not intend to destroy
3. Do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to destroy the target
4. You are responsible for the target and everything beyond that target and for where ever that bullet travels

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 11:25
I'm not saying that it is not a good idea to make your presence known when you encounter a hunter. What I'm saying is that hiking through the woods yelling screaming, and whistling, the entire time ....

Now you're having to create a fantasy to prop up your poor logic. NO ONE said ANYTHING about "yelling and screaming." In fact, he said "Not loud but something to distinguish yourself from the wildlife."

Rain:sunMan

Feral Nature
08-09-2011, 18:31
A lot of heartache could be avoided if folks just followed four simple rules about firearms handling --

1. All weapons are always real and always loaded
2. Do not point the weapon at a target you do not intend to destroy
3. Do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to destroy the target
4. You are responsible for the target and everything beyond that target and for where ever that bullet travels

My daddy taught me that stuff when I was 13 and got my first rifle. It is such common sense but there are those out there with no sense at all. My friend's son shot himself in the head while climbing through a fence. You just don't lean your rifle against the fence you are climbing through. You lay it on the ground.