PDA

View Full Version : Public Transportation to Pearisburg

smokedog
02-11-2005, 17:32
Any ideas on the best way to get to Pearisburg via public transportation? I don't believe Greyhound services that area.

Footslogger
02-11-2005, 17:36
Not totally familiar with the area but I know that Blacksburg is close (30 mins)and has a lot more services. Va Tech University is there so I'm guessing they have bus service.

In 2003 during my thru-hike I hitched a ride from Pearisburg into Blacksburg so that I could hit the outfitter. There are 2 outdoor shops in town. I visited both of them, got what I needed and then hitched back to Pearisburg.

Hope that helps ...

The Old Fhart
02-11-2005, 18:18
I had taken a bus from Peasisburg in the past but last time I checked that run was discontinued. What I had to do was take a bus to Christiansburg (closest Greyhound) then a taxi ($20+) to Pearisburg.

Alligator
02-11-2005, 18:39
There are a number of shuttlers in that area. Try the list of shuttlers on the ATC site. They could get you at Christiansburg. I don't know if Greyhound stops there.

Blacksburg Transit is the name of the bus service at VT but you probably need student ID.

The Gnome
02-12-2005, 19:23
Any ideas on the best way to get to Pearisburg via public transportation? I don't believe Greyhound services that area.

Try giving Brenda at the Rendezvous Motel a ring. 540-921-2636.

They will probably shuttle you from the Blacksburg/ I-81 area.

From your other post, I assume you are attempting a section hike Pearisburg to Harper's Ferry?

smokedog
02-13-2005, 00:28
Yes, I'll start sometime in early May. I did communicate with someone at the Rendezvous motel, possibly Brenda, who indicated there was probably a closer stop than Wythville, the only one I could find. Not sure if Greyhound stops at Christiansburg. Any idea how far Wyhthville is from Pearisburg?

Lone Wolf
02-13-2005, 07:53
Wytheville is 48.2 miles from Pearisburg.

Hikerhead
02-13-2005, 09:58
Yes, I'll start sometime in early May. I did communicate with someone at the Rendezvous motel, possibly Brenda, who indicated there was probably a closer stop than Wythville, the only one I could find. Not sure if Greyhound stops at Christiansburg. Any idea how far Wyhthville is from Pearisburg?

She was probably talking about Pulaski.

zephyr1034
02-14-2005, 03:36
Any ideas on the best way to get to Pearisburg via public transportation? I don't believe Greyhound services that area.============================================= ===============
I live in Pearisburg. The only way to get here is drive, hitch or walk. There was once Greyhound and the Norfolk and Western Railroad, but both are gone. Greyhound is rapidly going out of business altogether. They abandoned both Pulaski and Christiansburg. The trains have been gone for 35 years.

The other poster was wrong about Blacksburg. Despite the presence of Virginia Tech (one of the largest universities in the South), there is no way to get to Blacksburg except to drive. College students used to be Greyhound's bread and butter. I guess all the college kids these days have daddies that buy them SUVs for high school graduation presents. I had to get a job and save for a down payment before I could get a car. My parents should have been locked up for child abuse :-)

There is an experimental bus service between Roanoke and Blacksburg called Smart Trip (I think). It costs 3.00 each way. But even if you took it to Blacksburg, you'd still have about 25 miles more to reach Pearisburg. Blacksburg Transit is a local bus system, mainly for students and workers at Tech. It has a few trips to Christiansburg.

There's no air service this side of Roanoke, and flights there are quite expensive. No Southwest or other discount carrier. Roanoke is 65 miles from Pearisburg.

Amtrak goes to Hinton WV, three days per week. Hinton is roughly 40 miles from Pearisburg.

It's only going to get worse. Bush wants to eliminate Amtrak. Greyhound's parent company is bankrupt. If there's ever a gas shortage that's for real, the Trail is going to be in a lot of trouble.

I'm retired and willing to shuttle hikers occasionally. My phone number is 540-921-1184. My email is [email protected]

Tom