PDA

View Full Version : Need North Carolina Section Advice

jeepguru
08-08-2011, 09:08
Alright so I talked my wife into going backpacking for our anniversary in Sept, it will be her first overnight backpacking trip although we have done many day hikes and camping trips from the car. What I'm looking for is about 20 miles on the trail that we can park, get a shuttle to the start and hike back to the truck or vice versa. Plan is to hike Friday, camp that night, finish hiking on Sat, then drive up to Gatlinburg and stay in a hotel. The Ga AT Club has good maps/elevation profiles on the their site, but I can't find any for NC. Any place I can find maps? Thanks in advance!

lissersmith
08-08-2011, 09:43
The Deep Creek Trail would be a nice choice. You could start at the top, park your car there and hike dwn to the trail head at the Deep Creek Campground. It is a bit less than 20 miles, but would be a good first trip. There are many nice
campsites...

58starter
08-08-2011, 09:51
Wayah Bald to NOC is a nice hike. Park at either end and get a local shuttle. Wayah to NOC is mostly down hill. Great overnight hike.
Have fun.

Kerosene
08-08-2011, 10:27
Wayah Bald to NOC is a nice hike. Park at either end and get a local shuttle. Wayah to NOC is mostly down hill. Great overnight hike.
Have fun.Wayah Bald to Wesser Shelter is 10.6 miles, which my newbie daughter covered on her second day out. Very easy hiking for the first half, then a few decent uphill pulls on the second half, with 3 great viewpoints (Wayah, Rocky, and Wesser Balds). The 5.7 miles from Wesser Shelter to NOC is pretty much all downhill, with an incredible view out to The Jump Up a mile or so in.

JaxHiker
08-08-2011, 11:25
Have fun.
This is a beautiful section. Pics are on my blog under Trail Reports.

jeepguru
08-08-2011, 15:25
Have fun.

I was thinking of either starting or ending at the NOC for shuttle reasons anyway so this sounds good. What are the trail mileages or do you have an online source for a trail map?

JaxHiker
08-08-2011, 20:58
Wayah to NOC is about 17 mi.

jburgasser
08-11-2011, 08:49
Hey Jeepguru, how about the Standing Indian loop. Just copy and paste this link: http://www.nantahalahikingclub.org/index.php and you will get to the Nantahala Hiking Club's website. There is a map you can click on. For elevation profile go to http://premium.fileden.com/premium/2008/8/25/2065958/profilesFolder/AT_seg_2_TN_NC.pdf
The Standing Indian Loop is near the beginning of the profile map and also at the bottom of the map on the Nantahala site. This loop hike includes Standing Indian Mountain and Albert Mountain which has a fire tower at the summit. You can camp at the Standing Indian Campground (which is a drive in campground I think, as opposed to primitive camping), leave your car there overnight and head south on the Kimsey Creek Trail for I think about 3 miles. You then intersect the A.T. at Deep Gap parking lot then follow the A.T. south over Standing Indian Mountain. After several more miles you pass by Carter Gap Shelter and the A.T. turns to the north. You may choose to spend the night at Carter Gap Shelter as that would make for a 12 mile day. Then Saturday you can do another 11 or 12 miles back to Standing Indian Campground. The map on the Nantahala website shows all the side and connector trails.

My father-in-law and I are planning to do this as well as all the way up to Fontana Dam next May so let me know how it turns out for you if you select this route. Good luck!

JB

jburgasser
08-11-2011, 08:55
do you have an online source for a trail map?

http://premium.fileden.com/premium/2...eg_2_TN_NC.pdf is a great online source for A.T. elevation maps.

restlesss
08-11-2011, 14:48
I would stay away from The Green Tunnel ie Nantahala NF in NC. If this is her first real backpacking trip you need to give her views and great Scenery, The Nantahala NF ie appalachian trail is all forest with only about 4 actual gorgeous views and a lot of the ups are straight up with few switchbacks... I just did the 80 miles from Deep gap to Fontana Dam. It wasn't as much fun as previous trips because the view is the reward for going up. I would recommend shining rock wilderness in the Pisgah NF or the mountains to the sea trail starting from Clingmans dome. for newbies you need to give them scenery. Hope you have a great time!!! BTW I would also recommend Grayson Highlands statepark in VA it is on the AT few trees to obstruct views and of course you have the WILD ponies in your campsite... fun!!!

jburgasser
08-11-2011, 15:23
I just did the 80 miles from Deep gap to Fontana Dam.

Hey Restless, how many days did that take you? That is exactly what my Father-in-law and I are doing next May. I'm thinking 7 days. This year we did Woody Gap in GA to Deep Gap, NC in 6 days (63 miles) with no problems (well, except my father-in-law stole my last 2 days of coffee!!). I am also 42 and consider myself in good shape. What do you think: doable, comfortable??
Thanks, JB

Big Dawg
08-12-2011, 03:17
BTW I would also recommend Grayson Highlands statepark in VA it is on the AT few trees to obstruct views and of course you have the WILD ponies in your campsite... fun!!!

Agree!! It's a magical place! Park at Massie Gap, do a loop including AT and Pine Mtn trail.