PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain to Unicoi Gap

jljmonky
08-08-2011, 13:14
New to the forum and the AT. Me and 3 friends are heading out Sunday to do Springer Mountain to Unicoi Gap. I am most concerned about water, heat and mosquitos.

Almost all the shelters supposedly have water along the way but there is an 18 (ish) mile section with unreliable water resources at the shelters. Are there other water sources in between?

Right now we are all planning to carry about 2 quarts of water (my purification tabs take about 4 hours to completely kill everything so one quart will be ready to drink while the other is purifying) and an empty 50 oz. bladder to fill just before hitting the long section.

How bad is the heat on these sections of the trail?

I have done summer in Georgia and worked my A$$ off while I was there, but I was at Ft. Benning at a much lower elevation and with little shade so I am expecting a week on the surface of the sun but will it really be that bad?

Are the bugs terrible at night? I have zero fear of bugs but I like to sleep. I am sacrificing some weight by taking a 2.5 lb tent instead of my tarp shelter (less than 1lb) in order to close out the biting little heathens, is that overkill?

I have gleaned a lot of information from this forum and am really looking forward to some responses to these specific questions.

Thanks

Chex Mix
08-08-2011, 14:33
I was down there this past weekend, all the places that i stopped for water between Springer and Neels Gap was fine, it wasn't extremly hot but the humidity was extremly high, as far as bugs go, i tented and never had major problems.

daddytwosticks
08-08-2011, 15:32
Long range forecast shows temperatues easing up from the recent heat wave. Agree with EastTNHiker's observation. Have a great hike. :)

Skidsteer
08-08-2011, 19:57
Bring bug spray for the gnats. Mosquitoes are generally not a big deal in GA unless you're one of those people that attracts them.

If you can handle Ft. Benning heat, you'll be OK on the AT in GA.

bootes
08-08-2011, 20:10
If ya like you can ditch those crazy water taps and try aquiameara

nu2hike
08-08-2011, 22:48
I hiked from Woody Gap to Unicoi about three weeks ago! There were no bugs, the temps were in the mid 80's, and the only place where I had a problem finding water was at Woods Hole Shelter! There was none there! The water sources weren't exactly flowing freely, but there was water!
If possible plan to camp at Wolf Laurel Top! The views are incredible! Enjoy your hike!

Fraser Fir
08-08-2011, 23:00
I was at Tray Mountain today (north of Unicoi) plenty of water at Unicoi shelter. before the rain came= 73 F. after rain=62 F. no bugs whatsoever. trail is "damp" from previous night rain. down in the valley we are in an intense drought but the mountains seem to be getting a daily shower with minimal water supplies. Best Wishes Fraser Fir.

daddytwosticks
08-09-2011, 07:25
Where is Unicoi shelter? Do you mean water was good at Tray Mtn. shelter? How was water along the rest of the section from Unicoi Gap to Tray Mtn. shelter? Thanks for the info. :)

MkBibble
08-09-2011, 10:47
+1 For Aqua Mira and Wolf Laurel Top

scope
08-09-2011, 10:55
Where is Unicoi shelter? Do you mean water was good at Tray Mtn. shelter? How was water along the rest of the section from Unicoi Gap to Tray Mtn. shelter? Thanks for the info. :)

By proximity, my guess is that he meant Blue Mt shelter. There's a stream a half mile in after Unicoi Gap going to Nobo, and I always gas up there and at the shelter where its always been flowing.