PDA

View Full Version : Base camping is the way to go!

skooch
08-08-2011, 17:15
Just spent 3wks in Shenandoah. Planned to move on to Harper's Ferry, roller coaster and Bear's Den etc this summer. I just couldn't move from the campgrounds once I set up in a rainstorm and met a lot of hikers who base camp from there. I must have put on 100 miles of actual fun and smelling of the roses. Can't wait until my next awesome adventure. Want to see Maine, Oregon, Colorado and wherever the outfitters and shuttles can drop me. Any suggestions for the week between Christmas and New Year's that will not freeze my new found balls off?

JERMM
08-08-2011, 17:32
there's always the Florida Trail

skooch
08-08-2011, 17:39
sucks big time. where are the mountains? need to move far from here. no one needs to come to Florida to hike.

Kerosene
08-08-2011, 17:52
You might check out the Superstition Mountains and the range east of Phoenix in late December. There's no guarantee that it won't be cold, but it is quite rugged.

skooch
08-08-2011, 18:01
You might check out the Superstition Mountains and the range east of Phoenix in late December. There's no guarantee that it won't be cold, but it is quite rugged.

way cool. will get on that. don't mind cold as long as I don't have to sleep cold.

Brewerbob
08-10-2011, 07:59
sucks big time. where are the mountains? need to move far from here. no one needs to come to Florida to hike.FL swamps have their own charm. As long as it isn't summer and I'm sweating my balls off. Grew up in Tallahassee. Moved 400 miles north because of the heat. Then moved another 500 miles north because I didn't go far enough. Now I'm ready for another move. I don't believe in Global Warming but I do believe as I get older and crankier that the heat sucks more and more each year.

Tilly
08-10-2011, 12:56
Big Bend National Park in Texas. Should be relatively warm, mountainous, and lots of trails!

Feral Nature
08-10-2011, 17:01
Bend Bend is beautiful!

ChinMusic
08-10-2011, 17:31
Re base camping: I've done some of it. I've determined that I am a point-A-to-point-B kind of hiker. I get very motivated to get to point B but have a hard time getting motivated for the dayhikes off of a base camp.............don't know why.

skooch
08-10-2011, 18:49
Re base camping: I've done some of it. I've determined that I am a point-A-to-point-B kind of hiker. I get very motivated to get to point B but have a hard time getting motivated for the dayhikes off of a base camp.............don't know why.

I thought I was a point A to B hiker but I can't seem to get to B without losing a lot of time and running to low on water. At least not on the AT. Way to hard for me. Won't anyone else admit that? I get the feeling 90% of the people on this site are want-to-be A to B hikers doling out advice on something most of them have only fantasized about. I know, I know HYOH. my bad

ChinMusic
08-10-2011, 18:59
I thought I was a point A to B hiker but I can't seem to get to B without losing a lot of time and running to low on water. At least not on the AT. Way to hard for me. Won't anyone else admit that? I get the feeling 90% of the people on this site are want-to-be A to B hikers doling out advice on something most of them have only fantasized about. I know, I know HYOH. my bad

You think many (90%) AT hikers (on this site) can't get to point B because they are "running too low on water"???

WOW, that's a new one. Water, for the most part, and in most years, is plentiful on the AT. I rarely carry more than a liter.

Comet Omega
08-10-2011, 19:07
Definitely do NOT do Big Bend if you are having water issues on the AT.

jstuart5487
08-11-2011, 00:19
The heat is a glorious thing... I will never complain about being too hot again, ever. After being in the Afghan mountains at -10 degrees C, 120 degrees F is a welcome change!!!

Brewerbob
08-11-2011, 07:11
I thought I was a point A to B hiker but I can't seem to get to B without losing a lot of time and running to low on water. At least not on the AT. Way to hard for me. Won't anyone else admit that? I get the feeling 90% of the people on this site are want-to-be A to B hikers doling out advice on something most of them have only fantasized about. I know, I know HYOH. my badIt's hard to find Point B. Points C, D, E, and F keep getting in the way. I'm very much a base camper. In fact I've never done an A to B hike. I gotta get back to A somehow to get back home.

Going on my first "overnight" hike next week. Everything thus far has been base camping. Going to park the truck and wander the Monongahela for a week.