PDA

View Full Version : Parking at 19e

Earl Grey
08-08-2011, 20:20
How safe is it to park and keep a car here overnight? It seems this place used to be really bad for vandalism. Is this still the case? I am looking at doing a section hike here.

ScottP
08-08-2011, 20:22
don't park there. Call mountain harbor BnB and pay them to park your car there.

Hooch
08-08-2011, 20:47
How safe is it to park and keep a car here overnight? It's not particularly safe at all. Better safe than sorry, so, as ScottP said, park right down the road at Mountain Harbour Hostel for a few bucks per day. Get there early and take advantage of the breakfast. :D

Shooting Star
08-09-2011, 00:05
Best part is that Mountain Harbour is downhill about 1/4 mile on the Tennessee side.
Spend the night when done and stay for breakfast - it's one of the best on the trail

Tennessee Viking
08-09-2011, 08:25
Its still not advisable to park in between 19E to Bitter End. There has been recent vandalism with cars being broken into and tires slashed at the 19E trailhead.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 09:01
don't park there. Call mountain harbor BnB and pay them to park your car there.

It's not particularly safe at all. Better safe than sorry, so, as ScottP said, park right down the road at Mountain Harbour Hostel ...

Best part is that Mountain Harbour is downhill about 1/4 mile on the Tennessee side.

I couldn't agree more! This is exactly what my youngest daughter and I did. Mountain Harbour was fantastic.

Rain:sunMan

lissersmith
08-09-2011, 09:46
We lef a car there for three days in June and had no problems, but it was not a very nice car!

Lyle
08-09-2011, 10:06
That area is the only one that I remember seeing numerous signs along the trail in both directions of the 19E crossing, warning hikers NOT to leave their vehicle unattended.

I will add my recommendation to avail yourself of the services of Mountain Harbour. Mary and Terry are great folks, 100% honest, and very hiker friendly. They have plenty of secure parking; offer a very nice, clean hostel; and, as others have already stated, a FANTASTIC breakfast if you spend the night. Highly Recommended. Terry also offers shuttles.

neighbor dave
08-09-2011, 10:56
usually if i'm wary of parkin' my buggy at a trailhead known for vandalism, i'll go ahead and slash my own tires and smash one window out, this works quite well as i've never had a problem.;)

XrayDuke
08-09-2011, 13:20
Parked at Mountain Harbor last Monday and Terry shuttled us up to Carver's Gap. It worked out great and I knew my car was going to be safe when I got back to it. Give Terry and Mary a call and they will fix you up.