PDA

View Full Version : New here, and on a mission.

adamkee11
08-09-2011, 12:07
My name is Adam and I have a 3 yea old son Named Brodie. He had a traumatic birth injury and, long story short, now has pretty severe cerebral palsy that has resulted in significant developmental delays and health complications. He is failure to thrive (underweight/malnourished) despite having a feeding tube because his muscle spasticity makes him vomit violently almost daily. Most recently, he was diagnosed with the early stages of lung disease from breathing in vomit and mucous. That sparked something in me. While, in the back of my mind, I've been aware of the severity of his condition and what it may mean for quite some time, this was the first time I was hit in the face with his mortality in real terms. I am his primary caregiver. His mother and I are divorced and she sees him, but not nearly enough. My parents help as much as they can, but the vast majority of his care falls on me. Needless to say it has been difficult and very draining. We both spent the majority of our time on the couch, him on my lap, just letting life go by. For the longest time I let it get me down, but my son never has. He smiles more than any person I've ever known...through everything he battles every day. So now I'm changing my way, adopting his perception. Life is to be lived, no matter your circumstances. And, by God, I'm going to make sure whatever life he has is deserving of his attitude toward it.

Which brings me to my main point: I want to hike the entire trail WITH HIM (carrying him) as soon as possible. If I can finish in the next 2-2.5 years, Brodie will be the youngest to ever complete the trail. That child deserves a record. He teaches me so much every day about how to live and what happiness is, the least I can do is show him a little of what life has to offer by carrying him 2,200 miles. http://www.trailplace.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

So, I'm not sure what I'm asking of anyone in this forum, but the journey of two thousand one hundred eighty miles begins with a single introduction thread, lol. The way I see it, I most likely need sponsors to even begin the process. I have no way to fund this type of thing, so that will be critical. Besides money for gear and supplies, most of my needs will be in the way of advice, planning, and maybe some Good Samaritans to help me when I'm out there with re-supplying and such.

I'm from the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, about 20 minutes from the AT HQ in Harper's Ferry. I was actually hoping to start and end our hike there, since it would be cool to do so close to home. Also, if everything pans out, I would love to use this adventure as a way to raise money to start my own non-profit organization to help get other children with disabilities out of the house and into the outdoors...to take them on a real adventure, not just a monthly trip to a matinee.

Anything anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help! God bless!

Fog Horn
08-09-2011, 12:24
I know this is blasphemy on this forum, but there is so much life outside of the ordeal of a thru hike. There is Disneyland, and Legoland, and the Half dome, and rock climbing and surfing (my friend teaches special needs kids to surf all the time). I'm wishing you good luck on your journey, wherever it takes you. It will not be an easy trip for you.

House of Payne
08-09-2011, 12:26
I'm touched by your story, I feel for you with the difficulties that come with raising a child with challenges such as Brodie has. To undertake a walk such as the AT on an individual basis is difficult enough let alone carrying additional weight ( a person) and supplies would be monumental. I know the logistics that I am faced with in my thru planning is something I enjoy doing and look forward to, and your planning will be at least 10 fold to a solo hikers planning with the additional items you need to do (ie: fund raising, training, support teams etc).
And I'm not sure about the records part you mentioned. If anything you would retain the record for carrying him because you walked it. You have an interesting project to say the least. I'll be out there in April of 2014, maybe I'll run into you. Good luck with your planning! And good health to Brodie!

Feral Nature
08-09-2011, 12:30
Adam, you sound like a wonderful father. :)

brian039
08-09-2011, 13:13
You definitely should consult a doctor about this. My main concern would be the heat, bugs, rain & cold, fall hazards, and getting through NH & Maine.

adamkee11
08-09-2011, 13:22
Fog Horn - Places like that unfortunately don't do much for Brodie. He's not really capable of doing anything physically on his own so his interaction with things is limited. Visual stimulation is the most effective for him, and he LOVES being outside. But also, I just want to get away from regular life and be with him. His needs are extremely hard to accommodate fully given everything else I have to do in life. I love the idea of getting away from all that and just being with him, just hiking.

House of Payne - I know it sounds like a monumental feat. Most people would say impossible. But that's the thing, possible needs to be redefined from time to time. I would need a lot of help, that's a fact. But it can be done, so we should try.

adamkee11
08-09-2011, 13:26
I already know what most of his doctors would say...no way. But they only think about keeping him alive. I want to give him a life. My main concern is the heat because him and I both sweat like crazy. But with a feeding tube, I can make sure he gets plenty of water. At the end of the day, if I could pull off all the training, planning, and everything else so that I'm confident we can do it, no doctor is going to tell me no.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2011, 13:28
some inspiration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM&feature=related

Lone Wolf
08-09-2011, 13:30
some inspiration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GphmdhLMGE&feature=related

Snowleopard
08-09-2011, 13:36
Your concern for Brodie is great.

From your description of Brodie's physical problems, it might be very difficult to hike the whole AT. It might be dangerous for him; I'd be concerned about the feeding tube and breathing problems on the trail. Getting him to an emergency room quickly might not be possible.

Like Fog Horn says, there are a lot of other things that would be fun for both of you that would be a lot easier to manage.

ScottP
08-09-2011, 13:51
Don't let anyone or anything stop you

Deadeye
08-09-2011, 14:00
Is this for the kid... or for you?

adamkee11
08-09-2011, 14:04
Lone Wolf, why you gotta make me cry?

adamkee11
08-09-2011, 14:05
Thanks, ScottP.

adamkee11
08-09-2011, 14:06
Deadeye, it's for both of us.

tenn_hiker
08-09-2011, 14:07
Good luck to you! I hope everything works out!

WingedMonkey
08-09-2011, 14:11
If you live that close to Harpers Ferry, take him out for a weekend on the C&O towpath trail. See what you are up against taking care of him and living in a tent. After that take a few days on the AT where it runs off of the C&O, maybe stay at Dalgreens Campsite (running water and showers). Don't get in over your head until you taste the trail.

DLANOIE
08-09-2011, 14:12
God bless you and God bless Brodie! My grandmother always told me "you can do anything you put your mind to." Words to live by...

Fog Horn
08-09-2011, 14:13
I would recommend going at this in a completely supported fashion. Find someone who doesn't mind driving a van for five months and will follow you with supplies and food and things of that nature. It might be more expensive, but I'm thinking of the logistics of you carrying your son and a pack. You won't want him on your front, because you'll need to use your arms for balance and other things.

Again, definitely not trying to talk you out of this, but just throwing out ideas here for living life. What about canoeing? He could sit still and you could paddle. If its within his limits he could even feed the ducks. Maybe take him on a week long canoe/ camping trip just to see how he does out there? What about going to a play/ opera and see if he likes those?

If this is what you truly want to do and its something that you think your son would enjoy, then don't let anyone, including me, talk you out of it.

adamkee11
08-09-2011, 15:29
I was hoping to modify a backpack so that I could have him on the front or the back, depending on the terrain and everything. Like if he had some type of harness that could clip to both the front and back.

Slo-go'en
08-09-2011, 17:16
WHAT ARE YOU FRIGGEN NUTS OR WHAT!!!

Carrying your son with serious medical problems on a 2200 mile thru-hike might sound like a nice romantic thing to do, but the reality is a nightmare which could easially kill the kid. Do you have any experiance at all with a long distance backpacking? I suspect not, because if you had, you would know that this idea is not plausable.

ScottP
08-09-2011, 17:28
WHAT ARE YOU FRIGGEN NUTS OR WHAT!!!

Carrying your son with serious medical problems on a 2200 mile thru-hike might sound like a nice romantic thing to do, but the reality is a nightmare which could easially kill the kid. Do you have any experiance at all with a long distance backpacking? I suspect not, because if you had, you would know that this idea is not plausable.

The dude can handle being a single parent of a special needs kid. Pretty sure he can handle walking.

TNjed
08-09-2011, 17:33
hey man, just make it do what it do

House of Payne
08-09-2011, 17:53
Along with what Fog was saying, in addition to the support team I'd also consider another person(s) to hike it with you. There will be days where the hike is overwhelming for a solo hiker nevermind what you have going on. The second person would be a great support for you on days you need a little extra help not to mention he/she could also labor some of the gear.

kanga
08-09-2011, 18:04
My name is Adam and I have a 3 yea old son Named Brodie. He had a traumatic birth injury and, long story short, now has pretty severe cerebral palsy that has resulted in significant developmental delays and health complications. He is failure to thrive (underweight/malnourished) despite having a feeding tube because his muscle spasticity makes him vomit violently almost daily. Most recently, he was diagnosed with the early stages of lung disease from breathing in vomit and mucous. That sparked something in me. While, in the back of my mind, I've been aware of the severity of his condition and what it may mean for quite some time, this was the first time I was hit in the face with his mortality in real terms. I am his primary caregiver. His mother and I are divorced and she sees him, but not nearly enough. My parents help as much as they can, but the vast majority of his care falls on me. Needless to say it has been difficult and very draining. We both spent the majority of our time on the couch, him on my lap, just letting life go by. For the longest time I let it get me down, but my son never has. He smiles more than any person I've ever known...through everything he battles every day. So now I'm changing my way, adopting his perception. Life is to be lived, no matter your circumstances. And, by God, I'm going to make sure whatever life he has is deserving of his attitude toward it.

Which brings me to my main point: I want to hike the entire trail WITH HIM (carrying him) as soon as possible. If I can finish in the next 2-2.5 years, Brodie will be the youngest to ever complete the trail. That child deserves a record. He teaches me so much every day about how to live and what happiness is, the least I can do is show him a little of what life has to offer by carrying him 2,200 miles. http://www.trailplace.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

So, I'm not sure what I'm asking of anyone in this forum, but the journey of two thousand one hundred eighty miles begins with a single introduction thread, lol. The way I see it, I most likely need sponsors to even begin the process. I have no way to fund this type of thing, so that will be critical. Besides money for gear and supplies, most of my needs will be in the way of advice, planning, and maybe some Good Samaritans to help me when I'm out there with re-supplying and such.

I'm from the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, about 20 minutes from the AT HQ in Harper's Ferry. I was actually hoping to start and end our hike there, since it would be cool to do so close to home. Also, if everything pans out, I would love to use this adventure as a way to raise money to start my own non-profit organization to help get other children with disabilities out of the house and into the outdoors...to take them on a real adventure, not just a monthly trip to a matinee.

Anything anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help! God bless!

you sound like an absolutely amazing father and Brodie is blessed with you! you can do anything you set your heart to. you are his father and you know his limitations. if you think this is something that you can really do, then you should go for it. i think you should start with a week long hike near where you are with a support team ready to help you out and get you off the trail in case there are problems. even those that are not special needs run into issues on the trail. go this fall and stretch your collective legs. see what is feasible and what isn't and then worry about planning your hike. and remember, you asked for advice from a forum where many do not now what it is like with a special needs child so you are going to hear a lot of negativity from people who like to tell others it can't be done. well, they may not be able to do it but i think you can. just take your time and do the leg work. don't just jump in.
and also, thanks a lot wolf..

Feral Nature
08-09-2011, 18:12
Just curious on how much brodie weighs. There is quite a spread with 3 year olds but I am suspecting that he is on the light side, but I am just wondering Also, as an RN, I worry about the feeding tube stoma getting infected in the mud, rain, humidity and heat. I am sure you have a handle on that but I thought I would mention it.

House of Payne
08-09-2011, 18:20
some inspiration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM&feature=related

Wolf, Here in Massachusetts the father son duo is on a couple of Billboards running the boston marathon. Great story!

Ladytrekker
08-09-2011, 18:37
Wow I really admire your tenacity, because of the amount of supplies you would need would the idea of a kayak/canoe trip maybe an entire river or something like that be entertaining to you. The primitive camping would still be a reality and you could really make it comfortable for Brodie and he would still have a front row seat to life and wildlife but the boat would carry what you need it is just a thought. Good Luck on whatever it is you do.

Toolshed
08-09-2011, 19:02
Forewarning....NO emotions here. Skip the romanticism .....
I am not going to give you the pie-in-the-sky "Don't let anyone stop you from your dreams" crap... so if you are seeking only positive reinforcement, don't bother reading any further.

- I would suggest you get up off the couch with him and go to a local park daily or hike some local trails near your home and do some overnights.

I can't tell if you have a job or not, but it sounds as if you have no resources at this time - There will be fewer on the trail.. The resources it would require to take care of a severely ill child for 6 months on the trail can be overwhelming. Heat, cold, rain, snow sleet, stumbling, mud, insects, laundry, the daily puking, washing, maintaining proper nourishment, keeping the kid from getting bored... Don't get me wrong, you'll have some high points, but I think there will also be some low points.
Very low points....

You'll also likely spend a lot more time in towns where there are facilities....It will be more expensive, which brings me to my next point....

So, you are asking for money? Have you formed a 501C3 charity? Do you have a website?
I think a lot of folks, especially the non-hiking community would not be willing to give to something they see as could be harmful to a malnourished, child with severe Cerebral Palsey and other health complications...regardless of what the father thinks is good for his kid...Some might even see it as abuse.

4eyedbuzzard
08-09-2011, 19:50
So, the plan is to carry a currently three, going on four or five year old child with "severe cerebral palsy that has resulted in significant developmental delays and health complications. . . failure to thrive (underweight/malnourished) despite having a feeding tube because his muscle spasticity makes him vomit violently almost daily. . . diagnosed with the early stages of lung disease from breathing in vomit and mucous. That sparked something in me."

And that sparked a desire to thru-hike the AT?

Lets be really honest. He didn't say, "Hey Dad, let's thru-hike the AT!" YOU want to hike the AT - with him. He is three years old. He doesn't know the AT from applesauce. He's happy on your lap on the couch, he's happy in your arms outdoors looking at the trees and leaves and stuff - he's happy with you - AND WHEN ALL HIS NEEDS ARE BEING MET! He will not be happy in the pouring rain when it's 35 degrees out and he becomes soaked. He will not be happy when it's 100 degrees with 100 percent humidity and the mosquitoes and flies are feeding on him. He will not be happy when the water source is dry and you're forced to hike 5 more miles to find water. He will not be happy when you fall and he takes the fall with you. And you know damn well if he's subjected to the extremes of weather, environment, and life that are part and parcel of an AT thru-hike it likely isn't going to be good for him, and you will probably be reported by someone somewhere to child welfare authorities.

I think a few overnight hikes, particularly with even moderate terrain and some less than ideal weather thrown in will pretty much bring reality to the forefront. First, regarding an unsupported hike, I don't think you can carry the kid, all his gear, food, and water, plus all your gear food and water, plus all the special stuff you need for a child with his medical problems. Not over the AT. Maybe on a nice flat groomed walking path, maybe. Maybe a fully supported slack-pack hike, maybe. But not an unsupported thru-hike on the AT. Just ain't gonna happen. Sorry. Not being mean, just realistic. Nothing wrong with just camping and day hikes you know. You have to play the cards that you're dealt - and you've been dealt a tough hand. I wish you and your son the best.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2011, 21:01
you sound like an absolutely amazing father and Brodie is blessed with you! you can do anything you set your heart to. you are his father and you know his limitations. if you think this is something that you can really do, then you should go for it. i think you should start with a week long hike near where you are with a support team ready to help you out and get you off the trail in case there are problems. even those that are not special needs run into issues on the trail. go this fall and stretch your collective legs. see what is feasible and what isn't and then worry about planning your hike. and remember, you asked for advice from a forum where many do not now what it is like with a special needs child so you are going to hear a lot of negativity from people who like to tell others it can't be done. well, they may not be able to do it but i think you can. just take your time and do the leg work. don't just jump in.
and also, thanks a lot wolf..god bless Bodie, Adam and Kanga

Lone Wolf
08-09-2011, 21:04
god bless Bodie, Adam and KangaBrodie that is. just give it a shot Adam. i will support y'all with my truck at road crossings for a week or 3 if this hike gets off the ground

ScottP
08-09-2011, 21:13
If you're looking for funding you might want to try the make a wish foundation.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-09-2011, 21:25
good luck and dont let anyone throw obstacles in your way

One-8T
08-09-2011, 22:11
Brodie that is. just give it a shot Adam. i will support y'all with my truck at road crossings for a week or 3 if this hike gets off the ground

I'm with Lone Wolf. If the hike gets off the ground, I will happily give a few weeks to support or even carry your gear during the days and arrange shuttles to towns. It will most likely take two adults on the trail full time to carry adequate gear for such a journey. Brodie and you deserve all the help you can get.

hopetofinish
08-09-2011, 22:31
With the proper medical support this seems very doable. Perhaps a nurse or physician would be willing to sign on with you, at least for some sections. Would you consider a 'carriage' approach, i.e. something on wheels? This would allow for weight distribution and/or improve your chances of completing the trail. You'd have to 'portage' quite a bit, but it would work on much of the terrain. If a blind guy and his dog can do it, I see no reason not to give it a try!

swamprat
08-09-2011, 22:38
Hello, I am hiking the trail next year. I will be hiking for a grant a wish program for children. I retired this year and hiking the trail has been a dream of mine for many years. This is going to be my way to give a dream back. Your son and you could benefit from a program like this. The A T sounds great and people have done extraordinary things for reasons such as yours. Just please think it thru and be sure to have the right support if you choose the A T. If you do decide to contact a program such as grant a wish or similar, there are many available. Good luck with your plans.

Alligator
08-09-2011, 22:59
I do not think you could do it alone with your son as a thruhike. A section hike with support would up the odds. As others have suggested, you really would benefit from starting out slow to better understand the challenges. I have carried my own kids and did not feel that one parent could handle a child carrier and all the gear without great difficulty.

If you would promise me that you would go slow and begin with some easy dayhikes, I will give you my child carrier (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/ChildCarriers/PRD~4011-890/mec-happytrails-child-carrier-backpack.jsp). No rushing out on an overnight though.

Destiny2012
08-09-2011, 23:03
Wow, what a way to start my account here on WhiteBlaze! Such a deep topic. I feel I must respond to this. I will be blunt, but honest. I have solo thru-hikes one NOBO one SOBO. So here we go. <br><br>1: You are being way to ambitious with your plans. Doing a true thru hike in proper physical shape is hard enough, but you want to carry this severely disabled child along with you on your back? The child is 3 years old and in failing health as described in your post. At that age, even a child without the disabilities you describe would get very little if nothing out of it. With the disabilities, I doubt he would not even know the difference between walking in a park and walking on the A.T. I know that is hard to hear, but if he were say 12, or even 10, my opinion on this would be different. <br><br>2: If you are dead set on hiking, do short, local hikes. He will enjoy them just as much as the AT. To me, it sounds like YOU want to hike the AT, but you have this child and you have zero options to go on a hike without him. I am going by the limited info you gave us, but this is how I see it. I also feel lugging this child on your back in the condition you describe on the thru-hike you want is awfully close to abuse, depending on who you ask. The trail can be and is often very punishing, and I see no way this could even be attempted without extraordinary and unusual support given to your hike. And that support will cost big dollars, which you do not have. <br><br>3: I am worried in that you said you 'sit on the couch with him every day' or something to that effect. Are you employed? Does your child get proper health care? If you are on public assistance, just forget the trail and try to make your child's life as good as you can while he is still with you. The trail costs at a minimum a couple of thousand realistically, and for a special needs child the sky's the limit. <br><br>4: If you do not care what anyone thinks and are dead set on doing this with/to your child, with the intent that he dies in the woods and not 'sitting on the couch' you need to be up front about that with everyone. I know if I gave you donations and you hid some crazy thing like this I would be royally pissed. And so would most of the people you might get to help you on this endeavor. <br><br>Honestly, I see nothing good in this idea. REMEMBER, I am going by what you told us. My wife actually works with special needs children, and when I showed her this thread she honestly gasped in horror, and actually became angry that you would even suggest this. My wife and I know full well about 'trail fever' of people. How the AT has this almost mystical pull on people that sometimes causes them to destroy their lives or truly hurt their relationships just to do the trail. This actually happened to me on my first thru-hike. I almost lost my wife, and I lost 6 months of my child's life. The trail was great, but the cost was almost greater for me.<br><br>I regret it immensely. I strongly feel that right now you have amazing stress in your life, are down on your luck with limited funds and options, and that you might even be suffering from clinical depression. Something about your letter worries me about YOU, and not your child. I think you really need to seek help to stabilize your life and improve your condition first. <br><br>Do not let the 'trail fever' push you to where you make a decision where your child's life is in grave danger out in the woods. Miles from help. I assure you if you have to call for rescue, that there would be a good possibility, depending on where it takes place, that child abuse charges would be brought against you. Stranger things have happened. <br><br>I am sorry to tell you all of this. But this is truly how I feel about this <em>based</em> on the limited info you have given me. <br><br>I wish you and your child well, and God Bless.

Destiny2012
08-09-2011, 23:06
Wow, something bad happened to the formatting. Here is a cleaned up version.

Wow, what a way to start my account here on WhiteBlaze! Such a deep topic. I feel I must respond to this. I will be blunt, but honest. I have solo thru-hikes one NOBO one SOBO. So here we go.

1: You are being way to ambitious with your plans. Doing a true thru hike in proper physical shape is hard enough, but you want to carry this severely disabled child along with you on your back? The child is 3 years old and in failing health as described in your post. At that age, even a child without the disabilities you describe would get very little if nothing out of it. With the disabilities, I doubt he would not even know the difference between walking in a park and walking on the A.T. I know that is hard to hear, but if he were say 12, or even 10, my opinion on this would be different.

2: If you are dead set on hiking, do short, local hikes. He will enjoy them just as much as the AT. To me, it sounds like YOU want to hike the AT, but you have this child and you have zero options to go on a hike without him. I am going by the limited info you gave us, but this is how I see it. I also feel lugging this child on your back in the condition you describe on the thru-hike you want is awfully close to abuse, depending on who you ask. The trail can be and is often very punishing, and I see no way this could even be attempted without extraordinary and unusual support given to your hike. And that support will cost big dollars, which you do not have.

3: I am worried in that you said you 'sit on the couch with him every day' or something to that effect. Are you employed? Does your child get proper health care? If you are on public assistance, just forget the trail and try to make your child's life as good as you can while he is still with you. The trail costs at a minimum a couple of thousand realistically, and for a special needs child the sky's the limit.

4: If you do not care what anyone thinks and are dead set on doing this with/to your child, with the intent that he dies in the woods and not 'sitting on the couch' you need to be up front about that with everyone. I know if I gave you donations and you hid some crazy thing like this I would be royally pissed. And so would most of the people you might get to help you on this endeavor.

Honestly, I see nothing good in this idea. REMEMBER, I am going by what you told us. My wife actually works with special needs children, and when I showed her this thread she honestly gasped in horror, and actually became angry that you would even suggest this. My wife and I know full well about 'trail fever' of people. How the AT has this almost mystical pull on people that sometimes causes them to destroy their lives or truly hurt their relationships just to do the trail. This actually happened to me on my first thru-hike. I almost lost my wife, and I lost 6 months of my child's life. The trail was great, but the cost was almost greater for me.

I regret it immensely. I strongly feel that right now you have amazing stress in your life, are down on your luck with limited funds and options, and that you might even be suffering from clinical depression. Something about your letter worries me about YOU, and not your child. I think you really need to seek help to stabilize your life and improve your condition first.
Do not let the 'trail fever' push you to where you make a decision where your child's life is in grave danger out in the woods. Miles from help. I assure you if you have to call for rescue, that there would be a good possibility, depending on where it takes place, that child abuse charges would be brought against you. Stranger things have happened.

I am sorry to tell you all of this. But this is truly how I feel about this based on the limited info you have given us. I wish you and your child well, and God Bless.

WMR
08-09-2011, 23:21
Incredibly admirable plan. I came back to the AT after a 30 year absence because of my son, and have cherished every minute we have spent together section hiking over the last 4 years. That said, my son is a picture of health teenager, and while I am a 40-something desk jockey, I can get still get my act together a few times a year to knock off 30 miles or so in a weekend. And those weekends are hard. Full-on, maximum effort, why am I doing this? hard. Everything from heat, cold, bugs, animals, dry water holes, rain, sleet, hail, thunder and lightning, too steep up, too steep up down, tripping over rocks and roots. My wife works with special needs kids, ages 0-3. I ran this by her and I regret to say her opinion is no way: miles and hours - HOURS - away from emergent care, one trip, one fall and you're done, but even in the best of circumstances, long, hard miles in remote country. Sorry to say. But not all lost - lots of opportunities near you for hiking and camping in situations where you and your family can obtain the same rush as you'd get on the AT without the unnecessary risk.

Slo-go'en
08-10-2011, 10:00
Finally, a few voices of reason. I can't belive there are actually some of you out there that think that the OP's proposal isn't totally insane. Maybe you just don't want to say so to be polite, knowing there is no way this hike is going to happen anyway.

This last spring, I meet a woman attempting to start a thru with her two special needs kids. The kids were in thier early teens and I belive to be Autistic. The reason for bringing the kids was because SHE wanted to do a thru-hike and her husband was being deployed to Afganistan as a civilian contractor, so was not going to be home to deal with the kids.

Sounds like a great and woderful idea and what an experiance for the kids, right? That might have been the thinking and the plan, but reality quickly reared it's uggly head.

When I first meet them, they were maybe 1/2 mile from FS42, where they had started. Many hours later, they finally showed up at Stover Creek shelter. It took something like 8 hours to get the kids to walk the 1.8 miles from FS42 to the shelter. The kids refused to put on the packs, so she had to relay them up the trail. The kids refused to walk more than 100 feet at time before sitting down again.

Of course, I never saw them again after Stover Creek, but reports over the next few days from the faster hikers coming up from behind said they were not doing any better and that they were lucky to make 2 miles a day. I don't belive they made it past Woody Gap - at least I hope she bailed there. She couldn't have made it much farther with those kids.

Apparently, the mother had not taken the kids on any kind of "training mission" before hand to see if they could deal with hiking, carrying a pack, being in the woods and camping. If she had, she would not have been in a hopeless situation of being stuck in the woods with two special needs kids, many, many miles from home (Texas) and a husband already on his way half way around the world. Talk about poor planning.

The point of this story is, if you don't know what your getting into, don't get into it! A thru hike is difficult as it is for a single, heathy person. Add a complication like a sick child and the game is over before it even starts.

adamkee11
08-10-2011, 10:24
Okay...so way more responses than I expected so soon. I'm not going to be able to address everyone's comments, but some general responses might clarify some things....maybe.

1. Is this proposed trip for me or for him? Both...absolutely. No, he hasn't told me he wants to hike the AT. Something inside me, God if you will, told me to hike the AT, or to at least try. No, I do not have some mystical calling from the trail, no have I always wanted to do it but can't because of my son. This just came to me. For a long time we were "just sitting on the couch". His disability had been weighing on me very much, and in a type of epiphany, I realized I needed to be more like him and enjoy today. I do parks and things like that with him. The point isn't to get him out and about....it's to get us out and away. Away from the hustle and bustle. For me to be able to forget bills, appointments, social services, and government BS for an extended and just devote my time to him. It's for both of us. If he could have anything, I think it would be more attention from me, even though he gets so much already. That's my boy. You all may be parents, but you don't understand the connection between a boy with a disability and his father/caregiver. You just can't wrap your head around it. Ask anyone who knows us.

2. To suggest that I may be taking my son into the wilderness to die is beyond insulting. Is it possible that my son could die out there? Yes. But no more so than here at home on any given day. My #1 concern for his health at any given time is the threat of asphyxiation from choking on his vomit. That isn't more likely to occur just because we're in the woods. And whether I'm 1 mile or 100 miles from a hospital, the odds are that he would die in my arms before any doctor could save him. For those of you who have wives who care for special needs, no offense whatsoever, but they care for children with special needs 40 hours/week. I literally care for my son 24/7, almost entirely by myself. Like someone else said, I think I can handle walking too. I will say this....if something were to happen to my son while on the trail, I would not feel guilty about it. I would feel the exact same as if it were to happen under any other circumstances. People may shout "abuse", I'm sure they would. But abuse is putting the kid in an institution. My son is with me, happy. I don't know how long he will live. He could die tonight in his bed, or outlive me. But I'll err on the side of caution and assume every day is a gift and fill whatever time he does have with memories.

3. My son knows the difference between a park and wilderness. He is not a vegetable. Obviously you have no experience with people with special needs yourself, because 99% of them are well aware of what's going on, they just have a difficult time communicating that fact. You don't give them enough credit. My son may still have the IQ of an older infant, but he has the wisdom of a 100 year old man.

4. I am well aware that the thought of this trip sounds impossible. Profoundly overwhelming at best. So what. If it were easy everyone would do it. To set the record straight, I am not currently employed. I lost my job recently at a very good CPA firm, mainly because of my responsibilities to my son. So financing would be huge. Like I've said, I would need sponsors and a lot of help from a lot of generous people. I don't want anyone's money. Money means nothing to me, I've been fortunate to live a life that taught me that lesson early. If I'm not starving and I have love around me, I'm a rich man already. This trip is far off in the distance. I'm not leaving next week. I will definitely be doing smaller trips to get an idea of how plausible this is.

5. My son's stats: 4yo in November, about 3'2" and 27-28 lbs. He has a feeding tube and a pump to feed him, but the pump isn't needed as gravity feeds are possible. All food can come in powder form. I know my son, and I know heat will be the biggest obstacle for his well being, and that will be addressed. But dehydration should be easily avoidable because I can give him as much water as necessary through his tube.

Anyway, keep the comments coming. I appreciate the constructive comments. I acknowledge the negative, lol. All I can really say is we'll see....but if it CAN be done, my dude and I are just the ones to do it. Take care, everyone!

BTW, I'm not depressed. I was. My son lifted me from that. Maybe a little crazy, sure, but all the best ones are. There's a fine line between genius and insanity.

DLANOIE
08-10-2011, 11:36
The best advice you've been given so far is to do a few shakedown trips to see how your son will react. Try to do it during some cold wet days to get a feel for your gear and your sons health.

Go for it bro!

Lyle
08-10-2011, 12:32
While I'm not sure if this is possible or not, I do know, and know of, quite a few people who have accomplished extraordinary things when they set their mind to it, both on the AT and off. I do not know you or your son, so I cannot judge with any expectation of certainty if you could be one of these people. I think you need to think long and hard about some of the concerns folks have given you (I'm sure you are), but in the end, it is your decision. Couple of more things:

How does Mom feel about this? She may not be much involved, but will she cause "trouble"?

What do your son's doctors say? Can you find any who are on-board with the possibility who could offer advice and assistance in your planning?

Do you have any family or friends who may be able and willing to accompany you? Little brother, uncle, your Dad, sister, best friend? I think having another adult or responsible teen with you will GREATLY increase your enjoyment and your son's safety. Someone to lean on a bit during the rough times or who will be around if an emergency occurs. I'm certain other hikers will step up often, but a dedicated partner in this will be so much better.

All that said, I am NOT necessarily trying to discourage you or your son. In fact, I will also add my name to the list of folks who will volunteer a week or two to hike with you and assist if this gets off the ground. I am quite flexible, so with some advance notice, I would be available anywhere. Keep us posted. And best wishes to you in making your decision - no shame either way as you find out more about this possibility.

4eyedbuzzard
08-10-2011, 16:30
Okay...so way more responses than I expected so soon. I'm not going to be able to address everyone's comments, but some general responses might clarify some things....maybe.

1. Is this proposed trip for me or for him? Both...absolutely. No, he hasn't told me he wants to hike the AT. Something inside me, God if you will, told me to hike the AT, or to at least try. No, you told yourself you want to hike, perhaps to escape, or whatever. But YOU convinced yourself of this "need" - WHICH IT ISN'T!

The point isn't to get him out and about....it's to get us out and away. Away from the hustle and bustle. For me to be able to forget bills, appointments, social services, and government BS for an extended and just devote my time to him. It's for both of us. If he could have anything, I think it would be more attention from me, even though he gets so much already. That's my boy. You all may be parents, but you don't understand the connection between a boy with a disability and his father/caregiver. You just can't wrap your head around it. Ask anyone who knows us.Sounds more like you are running away from your parental responsibility (those bills, appointments, social services, and government BS as you call it - all the stuff that keeps your son healthy). And please remember, every child comes into this world completely helpless and totally reliant on their parent(s), so every parent DOES understand having to care completely for an infant. That your son is not developing, and thus not freeing you from his ongoing total reliance (which sounds as though he likely will be for life) is the difference - and it is a profound one - no mistake. So while I may criticize your plan, it's not that I don't empathize.

2. To suggest that I may be taking my son into the wilderness to die is beyond insulting. Is it possible that my son could die out there? Yes. But no more so than here at home on any given day. My #1 concern for his health at any given time is the threat of asphyxiation from choking on his vomit. That isn't more likely to occur just because we're in the woods. And whether I'm 1 mile or 100 miles from a hospital, the odds are that he would die in my arms before any doctor could save him. For those of you who have wives who care for special needs, no offense whatsoever, but they care for children with special needs 40 hours/week. I literally care for my son 24/7, almost entirely by myself. Like someone else said, I think I can handle walking too. I will say this....if something were to happen to my son while on the trail, I would not feel guilty about it. I would feel the exact same as if it were to happen under any other circumstances. People may shout "abuse", I'm sure they would. But abuse is putting the kid in an institution. My son is with me, happy. I don't know how long he will live. He could die tonight in his bed, or outlive me. But I'll err on the side of caution and assume every day is a gift and fill whatever time he does have with memories. 1) It's a lot more than just walkin'. The walkin' is only the transportation part of it. 2) Whose memories are you trying to fulfill?

3. My son knows the difference between a park and wilderness. He is not a vegetable. Obviously you have no experience with people with special needs yourself, because 99% of them are well aware of what's going on, they just have a difficult time communicating that fact. You don't give them enough credit. My son may still have the IQ of an older infant, but he has the wisdom of a 100 year old man. Your son is a three year old with cerebral palsy. He has no "wisdom" beyond that of any other three year old. Three year olds don't want to "thru-hike" anything. They don't comprehend such concepts at that age. I can take a three year old 200 feet into the woods behind my house and he might as well be in the 100 mile wilderness - it looks and sounds and smells EXACTLY the same - like the woods. It's all the same at that stage. Sorry, but you are attributing things to him that just don't exist in any three year old's mind, even yours.

...To set the record straight, I am not currently employed. I lost my job recently at a very good CPA firm, mainly because of my responsibilities to my son. What is missing here? You lost your job, in this economy, knowing that he is reliant on you? Exactly how did that happen? I'd honestly like to hear the employer's side of the story, because I have this hunch they probably tried somehow to accomodate your situation. Sorry, but reading between the lines in your story there are really important things that are just blown right past - and just don't add up. You claim to be so responsible to him, yet you lost your job because you couldn't get the time management of caring for him figured out, but you're going to be able to figure out the logistics of a thru-hike with him? It ain't adding up.

So financing would be huge. Like I've said, I would need sponsors and a lot of help from a lot of generous people. I don't want anyone's money. Money means nothing to me, I've been fortunate to live a life that taught me that lesson early. If I'm not starving and I have love around me, I'm a rich man already. This trip is far off in the distance. I'm not leaving next week. I will definitely be doing smaller trips to get an idea of how plausible this is.Ah, the old money means nothing to me. Hmmm, well, let's see, you worked for a CPA firm, so I have to assume you understand basic economics and the function of money. So you don't seem to care about the fact that you need that money stuff to trade what you offer to fill other's needs, for what others offer you to fill your and you son's needs. You want "financing and sponsors" - but not money. Right .:rolleyes: Except they are pretty much exchangable terms in most cases. Ultimately, somebody's goods or services are being donated to you and your son, either in time, "in kind" or in cash, by private party and/or government agency. So PLEASE stop with the "money means nothing" BS. EVERYBODY needs "money" to trade to provide for even the most basic needs.

A lot of people dislike my candor at times. So please feel free to join them. But I'd rather be disliked than dishonest. In the end, you are simply running away, albeit from a very difficult situation. And whether or not you think so, you (anyone in your situation) could benefit from counseling.

Lone Wolf
08-10-2011, 20:36
No, you told yourself you want to hike, perhaps to escape, or whatever. But YOU convinced yourself of this "need" - WHICH IT ISN'T!

Sounds more like you are running away from your parental responsibility (those bills, appointments, social services, and government BS as you call it - all the stuff that keeps your son healthy). And please remember, every child comes into this world completely helpless and totally reliant on their parent(s), so every parent DOES understand having to care completely for an infant. That your son is not developing, and thus not freeing you from his ongoing total reliance (which sounds as though he likely will be for life) is the difference - and it is a profound one - no mistake. So while I may criticize your plan, it's not that I don't empathize.
1) It's a lot more than just walkin'. The walkin' is only the transportation part of it. 2) Whose memories are you trying to fulfill?

Your son is a three year old with cerebral palsy. He has no "wisdom" beyond that of any other three year old. Three year olds don't want to "thru-hike" anything. They don't comprehend such concepts at that age. I can take a three year old 200 feet into the woods behind my house and he might as well be in the 100 mile wilderness - it looks and sounds and smells EXACTLY the same - like the woods. It's all the same at that stage. Sorry, but you are attributing things to him that just don't exist in any three year old's mind, even yours.

What is missing here? You lost your job, in this economy, knowing that he is reliant on you? Exactly how did that happen? I'd honestly like to hear the employer's side of the story, because I have this hunch they probably tried somehow to accomodate your situation. Sorry, but reading between the lines in your story there are really important things that are just blown right past - and just don't add up. You claim to be so responsible to him, yet you lost your job because you couldn't get the time management of caring for him figured out, but you're going to be able to figure out the logistics of a thru-hike with him? It ain't adding up.

Ah, the old money means nothing to me. Hmmm, well, let's see, you worked for a CPA firm, so I have to assume you understand basic economics and the function of money. So you don't seem to care about the fact that you need that money stuff to trade what you offer to fill other's needs, for what others offer you to fill your and you son's needs. You want "financing and sponsors" - but not money. Right .:rolleyes: Except they are pretty much exchangable terms in most cases. Ultimately, somebody's goods or services are being donated to you and your son, either in time, "in kind" or in cash, by private party and/or government agency. So PLEASE stop with the "money means nothing" BS. EVERYBODY needs "money" to trade to provide for even the most basic needs.

A lot of people dislike my candor at times. So please feel free to join them. But I'd rather be disliked than dishonest. In the end, you are simply running away, albeit from a very difficult situation. And whether or not you think so, you (anyone in your situation) could benefit from counseling.just another opinion :rolleyes:

Freedom Walker
08-10-2011, 21:09
Speaking as a grandfather, I would be very concerned if my son were to try something like this. Read some of the journals of Thru-Hikers and you will hear of how they were cold, wet, tired beyond measure. They mention how bad the bugs are and the hot weather and thunderstorms, raining for hours and hours. You will have to keep him clean and dry. And what about sleeping on the trail, are you going to use a tent or staying at shelters. As someone else posted, you could get reported for child endangerment. But, if you are determined to try this, please go a 3-5 day trip to see for yourself what this would be like.

shelterbuilder
08-10-2011, 21:22
GOD BLESS YOU BOTH! I don't think that any of us can begin to imagine what your life is like, Adam (or Brodie's life, either). I don't know you, so my comments may fall a bit wide of the mark...bear with me.

Those of us who have expressed, ah, shall we say "rabid concern", have all made some very valid points. A thru-hike is a daunting task for a single, "unincumbered" person; for you to be able to entertain ANY notion of success would require an extreme amount of external support (money, manpower, possibly a support vehicle, definitely extra medical support)...and quite probably some medical/social services professionals in your corner to address any legal questions that might be raised about "abuse/endangerment". In the end, the hike might begin to resemble a well-choreographed ballet instead of a hike....

"Start small". The idea about short trips on the C&O (and nearby sections of the A.T.) has merit. So does the idea of another adult hiker going with you for additional support. The more help you have (on-site and off-site), and the more experience you've had with shorter trips under increasingly adverse conditions, the better prepared you'd be to make an attempt at a thru-hike (and the accusations of abuse/endangerment - which will be leveled no matter how well-prepared you are - can be defused somewhat be showing greater preparation).

How much are you "in tune" with your son and his physical condition? Can you tell when something is starting to "go wrong" before there are concrete physical symptoms? (It isn't quite the same, but I have sled dogs, and I can tell when "something isn't quite right" with one of them before anyone else can.) Also, the PEG tube site could be troublesome on an extended hike. (I had one for 18 months - no troubles with it, but no long trips, either...those little cans of liquid nutrition make a heavy, heavy load for a weekend trip!)

If you decide to go forward with this, you'll have more planning ahead of you than you can imagine. DON'T SHORTCUT the planning - as they say, "the devil is in the details". If you're out there by yourself and things go wrong, well, you just have to suck it up and figure it out. But your son can't just "suck it up" - your planning (or lack of it) could make the difference between success and a disaster.

Keep us posted.

Jack Tarlin
08-10-2011, 21:43
I just found this thread and read it thru twice; I see some advice and wisdom in many of the above comments. I read it thru twice because I have a tendency to speak too bluntly and too quickly and didn't want to do this again.

I admit I have grave reservations about what you're planning. I've seen hikers who develop problems carrying a fanny pack with water bottles in front of them, much less a child, much less a child with special needs. The logistics of what you're contemplating, to me, seem pretty impossible.

But I haven't met or talked with you; no one here has. If you're serious about this, I'd be very happy to meet and talk with you in person and help you in any way I can; I've thru-hiked several times; I live in Harpers Ferry. Please get in touch thru this website or under my name at Facebook. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

ScottP
08-10-2011, 22:35
I'm with Lone Wolf. If the hike gets off the ground, I will happily give a few weeks to support or even carry your gear during the days and arrange shuttles to towns. It will most likely take two adults on the trail full time to carry adequate gear for such a journey. Brodie and you deserve all the help you can get.

If you make it to my neck of the woods (Mile 650 or so) I'll come out and carry your hiking gear/food for a bit.

adamkee11
08-10-2011, 22:40
To make it clear one more time, this trip is not about me running away from anything. It's about my son and I getting away, not running away. There is no running away from our circumstances, so the best option is to run at them head on.

Also, yes, my son is very sick, but not frail, susceptible sick. His immune system is nearly as good as any other child. Again, the primary concern at any given time is him aspirating vomit. He will vomit no matter where he is. He will sometimes aspirate that vomit no matter where he is. You would have to see me and my son together to even begin to understand our bond. He would be cool as long as he's with me. He is more likely to have an emergency at home where my attention is divided among him and a million other things, than if I were by his side 24/7 with nothing to take my attention from him. I appreciate everyone who gives me enough credit to understand my own son's condition. I am well versed in all of his problems. The few times he's been in the hospital, I educate the nurses. I have a handle on his daily needs, and I would never leave for a trip like this if I thought I was putting him in direct danger. Yes, things can go wrong out there, but I still stand by the fact that the most imminent threat is him choking on vomit and that is no more likely one place than any other.

To those who have offered assistance if I am able to pull this thing together, thank you so much. It's people like you that will be most instrumental in my son and I completing the trail if this happens. I will make note of your offers and definitely keep you posted, but this is definitely more than a little over the horizon. If I'm going to attempt this, I won't leave until I feel more comfortable saying "do it" rather than "attempt it".

Thanks everyone! (even the naysayers....just fanning the fire)

fiddlehead
08-10-2011, 22:46
I definitely think a few 50 mile (practice) hikes are in order here.
See how long they take you.
1st by yourself, and then with the child.
See how he likes it.
See how you like it.
Then see if you still want to do this extraordinary endeavor.
Good luck.

adamkee11
08-10-2011, 22:51
Thanks, fiddlehead. I will definitely be doing that.

Stats 2012
08-10-2011, 22:57
It seems to me that you aren't looking for our validation of your project, but rather advice on how to successfully complete it. I am a father, myself, but couldn't imagine what I would do in your situation. It sounds like you have already thought out some of the logistics of such a task. The thing I've learned about this forum-- wonderful as it is -- is to read each post with a grain of salt and take to heart only that advice that resonates with you. If I listened to every (well-intentioned) piece of advice given here I'd turn I'd second-guess every hiking decision I've ever made.

Absolutely the best advice given is to start small and try a few over nighters. You can rent equipment at an outfitter, and I know folks here have offered to give you thier child carrier.

It seems that you plan to do this as a section hike over a few years. If so, you could avoid the hottest and coldest months and hike when it was more conducive to your son's condition. Also, traveling with a support crew seems prudent. Your story is gripping, moving, and controversial. I would imagine you could piece together funding and a support crew in no time. You may enjoy reading "A Walk for Sunshine" by Jeff Alt. He hiked the AT to raise money for the Sunshine Home, a support facility caring for his brother with cerebral palsy. I'd bet Jeff would be willing to give you advice if you wrote to him. (http://jeffalt.com/awalkforsunshine3.asp)

I am also curious as to the kind of physical shape you are in. Or more to the point, what kind of shape you'll be in when you start? Are you athletic? Have you ever tested your stamina, strength, and will power in other arenas, which could serve as a source of inspiration and confidence? Whether or not you have ever done something of a physical nature, I reiteriate the good advice of overnight trips or a big climb with 40 pounds on your back.

Best of luck to you both!

adamkee11
08-10-2011, 23:13
Thanks, Stats! I've played sports my whole life and, while I'm not in my peak condition at the moment, I have already gotten back in the gym and will be at my best before every leaving for this trip. As far as how I plan to do it...I understand how difficult a traditional thru-hike would be on us both, so I'm definitely open to section hiking it, I just need to keep his weight in mind and be realistic about how much longer I will be able to carry him. I'm confident I could handle him on my back with no problem. I walked the local March of Dimes with him recently with no real issues. Granted, the terrain is nowhere near the same, but I did go almost 5 hours in the summer sun and I was carrying him in my arms the whole time. That is so much harder than a backpack. But we shall see. You're right about not really requesting approval. I'm intelligent and I know our limits. I will not do anything to endanger my son beyond the minimal threats of the trail. Also, thanks so much for that man's information. I will definitely be getting in contact with him. And that kind person will be sending me their child carrier :) to help me get started with some day hikes and maybe an overnighter. Thanks again! I'll keep you posted!

Destiny2012
08-10-2011, 23:49
I have already given my opinion because you asked for opinions from people, and I will not chime in further on this except to say this.

If you do this thru-hike, knowing what I know of the trail, your child will die on the trail - unless you have across the board support all of the time. Meaning another adult with you who has hiked the AT all the way. Meaning a Nurse, or better, a Doctor, coming with you the entire way. Another adult who is a mule to carry medical supplies. Van support at every crossing. Having your trip planned out to a point where a regular thru-hike plan looks like a cobbled together mess. You will also need money. Lots of money. If you think you can do a complete thru-hike without money you are very wrong.

I will conclude with saying that your 'fanning the flames' comment was unfortunate on your part.. You came here and asked for our ideas, suggestions, and opinion on the matter. Then you decide to attack those that do not fit in with your incredibly risky plan to thru-hike with a special needs child. Calling them 'naysayers'. Well sir, what you call 'nay saying' is in reality grave concern for your son. I truly feel that it will not end well if you go along with this, with all of my heart. I prayed for you last night and I had to say I had bad feelings as if God himself was telling me to do everything in my power to try to explain to you how punishing the trail is.

Whatever is done, all I ask is that you always take what is best for your SON first. If he dies on the trail because of your desire to thru-hike the trail which I feel is clouding your judgement right now you will never forgive yourself - even when you feel the burden of his illness lifted from your soul.

- Mike

Trailweaver
08-11-2011, 00:45
They make backpacks for carrying babies/toddlers. They are designed to carry the load of a small child as well as all your gear. Depending on the size of your child, this would be the best design as it would offer protection for him and balance your load. You don't want him in the front because most falls tend to be forward (I should think, based on what I've seen and experienced myself, tripping over roots and rocks) and if he's in the front he could get hurt.

With a special needs child, I would think you would have to have a support system (someone with a van, as mentioned) for the feeding formula, tubes, diapers (?), and medical supplies that he needs that you are unlikely to find in the small towns along the AT. The weight of this child, your tent, sleeping bags, and gear is likely to be heavier than you can take on those climbs. . . you have to do some trial runs on some shorter trails.

I have a friend who hiked with his toddler using a pack designed for children. It's almost a super-human trial. He's a thru hiker, and very experienced. . . his pack with the child weighed around 65 lbs. After hiking with that weight 10-15 miles per day, could you have the energy to do what would be necessary to take care of your son?

Lyle
08-11-2011, 01:51
Trailweaver, My intent isn't to argue, you make some very valid points. The exception I take with your post above, is that you make hiking with 65 lbs sound near impossible. It used to be quite common. I myself have crossed the Continental Divide on the CDT and through the Weminuche Wilderness - not exactly flat land - with about 65 lbs. Comfortable? No. Would I do it today? Probably not, unless I had a real good reason. Carrying 65 lbs, especially for a motivated, in-shape, twenty something is not all that out of the question.

Bronk
08-11-2011, 02:33
I agree with those who suggested you try a canoe trip...after hiking 850 miles on the AT I loved the freedom I discovered in canoe camping...you can take anything with you without worrying about having to carry it all...my 19ft canoe will carry well over 1000 lbs. You can bring the kitchen sink! I've read a few journals of people who have canoed the entire length of the Mississippi. It also can take you several months.

http://www.mississippiriverresource.com (http://www.mississippiriverresource.com/River/FAQ.php)

adamkee11
08-11-2011, 07:36
Thanks, Bronk. That is definitely an option I will consider.

About me referencing the "nay sayers" and "fanning the flames" and all that...I truly appreciate people's honesty about the reality of the trail. I do want opinions and suggestions, but I want opinions and suggestions about how to best plan and key aspects to consider, which people are giving. I don't, however, need anyone telling me I'm crazy or negligent to my child in some way. I knew when this idea first came to me that it sounded absurd. And since I haven't gotten anything off the ground yet, it still does. But it can be done and I appreciate those who give real, constructive advice, rather than sitting in my dad chair and telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my son.

Also, I forgot to address the comments a user made about my job. If you ask my former employer, it was not a good fit. But in all actuality, besides being late to work (and staying late at work to make up for it), their main issue was with performance. But, as I have told them, I don't feel they gave me the tools necessary to succeed. Do you have any idea what it is like at a CPA firm during tax season. I was hired in the middle of tax season, too late for the group training, given a quick crash course, and then left to my own knowledge. I did well, very well. I was just apparently not fast enough. But the point of my story is that it was 65+ hours a week, by myself. That few months was brutal. That's all I will say about my career. But I got both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees while caring for him as he was born while I was a sophomore in college. So please don't question my ability to cope with my problems and succeed in life. I've already done that and I prove it further each day. You're welcome to come try to do what I do daily if you want. You wouldn't make it.

4eyedbuzzard
08-11-2011, 09:15
Adam,
Please feel free to be angry at me if it helps push you in the right direction. I don't mind. You are 24 years old, with no job, no career, no plan for how you are going to provide for your family, and a child who will require your support financially, physically, and mentally, for the rest of his life. And your current focus is on . . . thru-hiking the AT. Sorry, but your priorities are simply not in order man.

adamkee11
08-11-2011, 14:08
I'm not angry. If you knew me, you'd understand. My son has medicaid, always will as far as I know. I have a Master's degree, a job can be found at any time depending on what I'm willing to settle with. But I'm not one to settle. I have been considering law school in the future. I'd like to start a non-profit. Who knows? But I think you're assuming a bit too much if you think my entire focus and drive in life right now is hiking the AT. It is one of many options on the table for my son and I. If it sounds crazy...good. If you never have a crazy dream or ambition then I feel sorry for you. You are apparently not thinking big enough. You're either getting better or you're getting worse, you're never staying the same. I don't need any pity, my friend. So good luck to you, sir.

Destiny2012
08-11-2011, 15:52
I have to strongly agree with 4eyedbuzzard in this respect. I tried to be less 'in your face', but buzzard is saying exactly how I feel about this ludicrous suggestion to thru-hike with the child.

Destiny2012
08-11-2011, 15:57
I suggest instead of trying to thru-hike the trail with the special needs child, when you have no money at all, that you put your effort into finding a full time job. With you resources, you want everyone to give you the money to hike the trail as a 'donation', and you want people to help you all the way, giving their time and effort. With a masters I am sure you can find a job that provides health insurance to you and your child so you can get him off Medicaid. I do not like having to subsidize people who are medicaid when they do risky, foolish things.

I hope you intend to pay those people back that I talked about if you actually go through with this idea and get your book deal, and money from that deal.

Destiny2012
08-11-2011, 16:01
Finally, I would like to simply say to the people encouraging this gentleman to do a thru-hike with his special needs child and giving him help and advice are being irresponsible at best, and if they give active help on the trail if this insane plan actually takes place, will have in fact some responsibility when the child is suffering or in fact passes away. :mad:

Thank you for your time all. God bless.

Feral Bill
08-11-2011, 16:54
Having read this thread, I suspect that attempting this plan will result in a prosecution for child endangerment. If your son dies in the effort, I'd expect worse. If you try the preliminaries some have suggested, I'll bet you change your mind fast. I'm genuinely not trying to be negative, just realistic. Since no one has suggested it yet, I'll suggest you get support and counseling to help you meet your son's and your own needs.

Lyle
08-11-2011, 17:08
Destiny2012,

Excuse me if I give more credence to what Dad believes is possible, than what you think. Special needs does not mean they need to hibernate in some sterile environment to keep them "safe". Safe for what? Allow them to live, if Dad is willing and thinks he can manage. I will surely help in any way I can.

You have 11 total posts, and 6 of them are here telling others what is and isn't possible. You have no authority to judge or to make proclamations about what will or won't happen, or to attempt to dictate other people's decisions. Express your concerns - fine. Lay blame - not so fine. Hopefully you will never be faced with making a difficult, potentially dangerous decision. I sense you would always play it safe. Very boring and unfulfilling way to go through life.

swamprat
08-11-2011, 17:21
OK !! I have been following this thread and do not speak up very often. I am the one that suggested checking into some of the Grant a Wish programs for your child. This is something very positive and your child would not be at risk. I am not judging when I say you guys should not attempt this. With the right support and Professional assistance anything is possible. I agree with most on this site that after all research you will change your mind. Now, having said that, I have to refer back to your comments about getting away from the hustle and bustle of life and the ,,,I think you referenced Government B.S. I have to respond with this... your childs medicaid is from Government, how dare you consider that bull**** !! Good luck and please consider other wonderful promising activities for your child. God Bless and good luck.

Slo-go'en
08-11-2011, 17:29
Destiny2012,

Excuse me if I give more credence to what Dad believes is possible, than what you think. Special needs does not mean they need to hibernate in some sterile environment to keep them "safe". Safe for what? Allow them to live, if Dad is willing and thinks he can manage. I will surely help in any way I can.

There are varrying degrees of "special needs". Some special needs kids can grow up to be self sufficent. Brodie is an extrem case of special needs. The only reason Dad thinks this is something he can do is because he apparently has never hiked on the AT. He has absolutely no clue what he would be getting into. Several of us have tried to tell him, but it hasn't sunk in. Without direct, personal experiance, I suppose its hard to belive that the AT can be so harsh, as many a wanta-be thru-hikers have discovered.

Lyle
08-11-2011, 17:35
Dad has stated that he is in the early stages of considering this and is open to other possibilities. He has also stated that he will do some "practice hikes", and that he is pretty much resigned to doing section hikes if he does it at all. I'm sure that as he does more research and actually attempts some hikes reality may well set in. But to say he has no business even trying, sorry, don't buy it.

kanga
08-11-2011, 17:41
Dad has stated that he is in the early stages of considering this and is open to other possibilities. He has also stated that he will do some "practice hikes", and that he is pretty much resigned to doing section hikes if he does it at all. I'm sure that as he does more research and actually attempts some hikes reality may well set in. But to say he has no business even trying, sorry, don't buy it.

that's because you don't already know everything about how everybody should live their lives, like they do.

ShakeyLeggs
08-13-2011, 10:30
Ok going to chime in here.

My thought is GO FOR IT!!!!

You are in the best position to know what is possible and what is not possible. None of us are in that position.

One think I would like you to do. Remove the word CAN'T from your vocabulary. Reason being CAN'T means WON'T!!

Take every prudent precaution and just go for it. If you fail at least you tried and the both of you will be better for the attempt. But I am sure you BOTH will succeed.

adamkee11
08-13-2011, 12:46
I appreciate all the support from everyone!

My biggest issue with the negativity isn't that concerning the difficulties of what I'm considering, that kind of feedback is welcome to a degree. I take offense to some of the personal attacks on my character, though. I have had private insurance for myself through my past employers, but never on my son. I depend on Medicaid, and likely will for a good long time until I have a fairly high level of income. My son's condition requires a good deal of medical attention obviously, which would result in the max out of pocket on any insurance I would get....every single year. Thousands upon thousands. I would live in poverty just to pay his medical costs. So, yes, I need that Medicaid, and just because I say "government BS" doesn't mean I don't appreciate those benefits. I appreciate every citizen paying taxes that allows for those benefits, truly I do. If you needed those benefits, you'd understand what I mean when I say the government BS. It's the bureaucracy that I hate, not the fact that we live in a country blessed enough to allow for such assistance to its people. I think we can all agree that the government is at best inefficient, and unfortunately to receive benefits I must do their dance. But please believe me when I tell you, I genuinely appreciate what we receive. In fact, sometimes I feel guilty when a doctor orders more for my son because I know I could never begin to repay the taxes it took to provide everything. And that's just medically, not to mention therapy, his food, and other things. I'm no deadbeat. I never wanted to use public assistance in any way. But I've worked hard, and I'll apologize to nobody for anything. I only apologize to my son for not being able to give him EVERYTHING he deserves. Yes, I'm asking for donations, from people or organizations. If you don't wish to contribute, I will not be upset. So why are you so enraged that I ask. Some people are very generous and would love to help. It's your decision, but either way it's not really fair to judge me.

With that said, Brodie and I camped in the backyard the other night and stayed out there the following day so I could get a feel for how it will be to do his meds and feedings without modern conveniences, and it went pretty well! Some fine tuning will make that no harder than it is in the house each day. Also, waiting on a child carrier that someone on here has generously mailed to me and I will be doing a day hike with Brodie as soon as that gets here!

We shall see what the future hold.
God bless you all!

"There is a man who thinks he can, and a man who thinks he can't. They are both right."

Sassafras Lass
08-13-2011, 13:04
Adam,

You sound like a brave man. Only you know what your son is capable of. You obviously have a heart big enough for the both of you, and so the only thing that's left is financing, logistics, and test runs to make sure - before you're in the wilderness with no way out - that this is indeed as doable as you so desire.

I quite frankly agree with just about everything that's been said - sure, call me capricious. But we're not you, and you have your own destiny, as well as your son's to deal with.

“Then Jesus said to his disciples: ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?’” (Luke 12:22-26, NIV)

Pray, pray, and pray some more, and take some time to listen.

I truly wish you and your blessed son the best of luck!

adamkee11
08-13-2011, 14:30
Thank you for that, F-Stop. That quote sums up everything my son has taught me. Every minute is a gift. Everything you need will be provided. If you don't get it, then you didn't need it. "Success" is relative, and it's all about the attitude you apply to your life. I appreciate you input. This whole thing will be slow going, but I'll post updates if you're curious to see how it progresses. Take care!

dlittle
08-14-2011, 16:22
Slo-go...tell the blind, the deaf, the severly injured vets, the 88 year old guy.Is this a monumental goal, damn right. Adam wants an opportunity to spend what he feels is quality time.Adam....if there something I can help you with, ask. I live near Gatlinburg and Newfound gap. I would be honored to Merton you and your son!Doug
WHAT ARE YOU FRIGGEN NUTS OR WHAT!!!Carrying your son with serious medical problems on a 2200 mile thru-hike might sound like a nice romantic thing to do, but the reality is a nightmare which could easially kill the kid. Do you have any experiance at all with a long distance backpacking? I suspect not, because if you had, you would know that this idea is not plausable.

Blissful
08-14-2011, 17:54
That child deserves a record.

Just saw this thread. This statement caught my eye. "He deserves a record."

I have completed the AT twice, north and south. I may be one of the few women in my age group to have done this. But I don't ever think of it as a record. I view it in terms of what the journey itself has done to me and what I can then share with others so they also have a life changing journey, no matter how great or small.

But really this will never be your son's record. It's your record. It will only mean something to you as he will have little if any memory of it. You may get TV spots for it maybe, if its succeeds (and having done the AT twice, you truly have a HUGE uphill battle of monumental proportions to hike the whole trail. There are outright dangerous places on the AT I could never conceive carrying a child). Maybe a book perhaps.

But glory in this life is fleeting. At the end of the pomp and flair, what is left? I guess if the child was older - knew what the AT is about, loved the outdoors, being out there, the trail, always wanted to do, like a "Make a Wish" - then I could see a parent doing everything they can to make it work for that child, even if he suffers for it. But this child has no such comprehension. It is not his dream of glory, so to speak. It's yours.

I can say truthfully you don't need to obtain an AT record with him to make you or him feel worthy. What you are doing with him every single moment is a record in and of itself. And I believe in greater records to be had. I believe in greater things than this life here. And that is what I strive to achieve, no matter where I am or in what situation I am placed in, to look for that eternal reward, so to speak, and one that will never fade away as this life and all its records surely will.

But by all means take him on day hikes with you. Let him see the beauty. And give him a hug for me. :)

Greyson2
08-15-2011, 14:24
New to the forum, but wanted to throw my .02 cents into your comment blissful. Im sure hes not doing this for a record, but a record would be something worth shooting for and thinking about each and evryday hes out on the trail. Something to strive for, and motivation to keep pushing on. But believe me, if this man and boy complete this trail with some kind of record, the boy WILL have his record. And he will remember it everyday he is alive. He will hold his head up high knowing he completed the A.T. while on his dads back. This things a 4 year old will remember forever.

Brewerbob
08-18-2011, 09:55
Wow, some thread.

I'm sure the Sir Edmund Hillary he was nuts for wanting to climb a mountain too. After 4 pages of posts, it sounds as tho Adam has a fairly level head. I'm completely inexperienced in even section hikes so my biggest concern with a thru hike for myself would be rain. We were lucky in that it only rained a little and only at night while in the tent. I did 4 days in Monongahela with my able bodied 16 yr old son. He was tired of it that quickly. I was planning 7 days but only did 4 since he was missing the PS3. At least Adam doesn't that to worry about.

Adam,
I don't think my advice is worht even 2 cents but I'd suggest doing one of your weekend hike when the forecast is calling for some nasty rain. Or, as you've already done, just the backyard itself. It doesn't sound like you have any goals in doing the tradiational thru-hike nonstop kinda thing. If it rains on the trail, stay put. No point in slipping and sliding in the mud.

Just curious about the tubes. How much trouble are they going to be to keep clean? Is simple boiling good enough? Knock on wood, I don't know beans about all the stuff you have to deal with. Maybe you should list all of your child's special needs. Some random stupid question from someone else might lead to a better/easier way to do something. Or raise a potential road block that you wouldn't otherwise think of. The whole out-of-the-box thinking and another set of eyes kind of thing. Be it the canoe or a thru-hike, it's going to be pretty out-of-the-box anyway!! :)

Brewerbob
08-18-2011, 09:57
I'm sure the Sir Edmund Hillary he was nuts for wanting to climb a mountain too. I'm sure THAT Sir Edmund Hillary WAS TOLD he was nuts....

RITBlake
08-18-2011, 16:39
This is a very sweet, very touching post.

But also sounds like a terrible idea.

Destiny2012
09-07-2011, 13:34
You nailed it, Blissful. This guy is only out for records and probably a book deal after he hikes the trail.
I find it amazing that he is wanting to thru-hike the AT when he has no job, his son is on government benefits and is getting free health care from the taxpayers like myself, when he should be out trying to find a JOB that will support himself and his child. So he can be a man and take care of his family FIRST.

Hiking the AT for this guy is irresponsible at best.

adamkee11
09-12-2011, 10:31
Ummm, not sure there's anything more for me to add at this point. But I'll say a few things real quick.

1. I can find a job by the end of the week...no problem. My education and resume speak for themselves. It's not finding a job that's the problem...it's keeping that job. Have you ever had to tell your boss you would have to miss work 5-10 times in a single month for doctor appointments? I put over 1000 miles on my car in the past two weeks for my son's medical appointments. I live in Martinsburg, WV. One week he had two appointments in DC on Monday, one in Morgantown, WV on Wednesday, and two more in DC on Friday. And yet another in DC that next Monday. Try to work that out with your employer. I'm not working on finding a job at this very moment, instead I'm working on hashing out a solid plan for his care so that I can get a job and feel comfortable knowing I won't lose it.

2. Even when I have a job with my own private insurance, to think that I can afford child care and insurance for him on a single salary is crazy. 1/3 of my salary would go just to insurance and child care. I have a bachelor's and master's in accounting, and let me tell you that those expenses are simply unsustainable on a single income. I truly appreciate him receiving Medicaid. Every disabled person should get it, absolutely. There are so many issues to deal with when someone is disabled, and those people should not be burdened further by having to worry about the financial impact of their condition. If I didn't have a disabled child I would say the same thing. I hope if anyone who has been bashing me about this ever finds themselves in that position, that they get every benefit available to help them cope with that difficult situation.

3. A book deal? Really? Never considered it, but hey, if I was approached....sure. And if you think that's greedy, so be it. I don't seek approval from man. My God knows that if I were blessed with such an opportunity, I would use it to help others. I've always wanted to start a non-profit to help other children with disabilities to get out of the living room and enjoy the world they live in. If you have a problem with that, let me know. If it ever happens, I'll send you some royalties. I'm not a greedy man. I'm wearing most of the same clothes I had in high school so that I can afford to put clean diapers on my son's butt. I live simply, not because I have to, but because all those things don't make me happy. "Live simply, that others may simply live." Mohandas Gandhi

4. God bless all of you, especially those who seem disillusioned with the possibilities your life holds. If you are so quick to step on my dreams, I would venture to guess that you give your own the same consideration. I will pray for you.

Slo-go'en
09-12-2011, 12:10
Not beat a dead horse any farther, but the reasons you can't keep a job as stated in #1 also preclude doing a thru-hike with the kid for the same reasons. And if you can barely afford to buy diapers, how the heck are you going to aford a thru-hike?

We are not trying to crush your dreams, we're just trying to point out they are very unrealistic dreams. A thru-hike with your child simply isn't going to happen. Be more realistic. Car camping and carring him for an afternoon day hike is about the best you can do, so be happy you can do that much.

kanga
09-12-2011, 14:36
Not beat a dead horse any farther, but the reasons you can't keep a job as stated in #1 also preclude doing a thru-hike with the kid for the same reasons. And if you can barely afford to buy diapers, how the heck are you going to aford a thru-hike?

We are not trying to crush your dreams, we're just trying to point out they are very unrealistic dreams. A thru-hike with your child simply isn't going to happen. Be more realistic. Car camping and carring him for an afternoon day hike is about the best you can do, so be happy you can do that much.
that may be about the best YOU can do, slo. who are you to tell another what is or isn't possible. that's more than just a little arrogant. you are nowhere near god. just another nay-sayer in a world full of so many already. your response, and others, is so automatically negative that i feel very sorry for you. your life must be so limited.

4eyedbuzzard
09-12-2011, 15:16
Serious question for the OP and those who like to confuse/equate realism with "naysaying": How does the child's medical care fit within the context of a thru-hike or any long distance hiking, especially given a limited budget for transportation to and from the trail for medical appointments/care?
...5-10 times in a single month for doctor appointments? I put over 1000 miles on my car in the past two weeks for my son's medical appointments. I live in Martinsburg, WV. One week he had two appointments in DC on Monday, one in Morgantown, WV on Wednesday, and two more in DC on Friday. And yet another in DC that next Monday.

Doctari
09-12-2011, 15:47
I'm not going to say yes or no, you have enough here to tell you you can't do it, or you can. The whole thing is up to you. I'm sure that even up to the moment he touched the sign on Kathadin Bill Erwin had people say He can't do that!

My concerns:
#1) Weight of him And Both of your gear. MY solution: a 1 wheeled cart, Can't remember the name of the one "Mule" on HF used, but contact him, his may be for sale. If I remember correctly, It will carry about 60 Lbs, maybe more. Gear on it, Son on your back?
#2) Feeding tube "Stuff" is liquid, so HEAVY. Solution? A few years ago I saw it in powdered form, "Mix with water" but haven't seen it in years. That may be an option if you can find it. #2 B) keeping the feeding tube site clean. Solution? Handy wipes, the big adult sized ones.
#3) As mentioned above, access to emergency services. Solution? carry a GPS with an emergency button. Granted, recently people have been getting charged for rescues, but it's an option.
#4) What do you do with him while you are getting water? I don't have a solution for this, just hoping my question lets you come up with a solution. I do know that many water sources are far from the shelters / campsites, & some are quite a struggle to get to. Can you leave him alone for, lets say 45 minutes or more? Unladen, my 12th day out, it took me over 1.5 hrs to get 2 Ltrs water at Vandeventer shelter due to the steepness of the hill to & from water, & the sluggishness of the water source. Would he be OK then?

So, there it is. I wish you well in your endeavor, it will likely be quite the adventure for you & Brodie! Take it slow, do side trips, there are quite a few waterfalls along the way, quite the visual stimulus for Brodie. And, my favorite side trip, the Settlers museum in VA, just trail S of Atkins.

Slo-go'en
09-12-2011, 18:10
Well, when I saw Adam made a new post, I expected to read something different. Like all the postive steps he's taken in the last few months to make his dream a reality. Like all the hikes he's done with his son since getting the child carrier pack someone promised to send him (was it sent?). Or having done overnight hikes to test the concept. Or all the gear manufactures he's contacted for sponsership. Or the fund rising efforts he's made to finance the trip.

If he has done none of this, and he's still dreaming this will somehow happen by magic, then I rest my case. And Adam, if you have done any of the above, let us know and how it went. I'd love to be proven wrong.

J5man
09-12-2011, 18:51
Just brainstorming........you will obviously need a support team as you go.........mainly for medical needs.......let the hospitals and healthcare workers know of your dream. It will be amazing what that planted seed will harvest. Maybe someone can organize sections of the hike where local healthcare people who are outdoor enthusiasts would want to hike along a few days when you are in their area. I used to work in the pharmaceutical industry and they all give to good causes that have a humun interest element to them. I dont have enough hiking experience to say one way or the other if it is possible............but I do know the power of the human spirit and that is the most important of all. God bless your son on his life of adventures!

dmax
09-12-2011, 23:18
:He's not heavy, He's my brother: .. Father Flanagan

4eyedbuzzard
09-12-2011, 23:45
#3) As mentioned above, access to emergency services. Solution? carry a GPS with an emergency button. Granted, recently people have been getting charged for rescues, but it's an option.The first time he uses it (emergency button) the hike will be over.[/quote]

#4) What do you do with him while you are getting water? I don't have a solution for this, just hoping my question lets you come up with a solution. I do know that many water sources are far from the shelters / campsites, & some are quite a struggle to get to. Can you leave him alone for, lets say 45 minutes or more? Unladen, my 12th day out, it took me over 1.5 hrs to get 2 Ltrs water at Vandeventer shelter due to the steepness of the hill to & from water, & the sluggishness of the water source. Would he be OK then?Leave the child (ANY child) alone for 45 minutes? A 4 year old? A four year old with CP? I must assume you do not have children, because every parent here both cringed and laughed simultaneously upon reading that. Children that age simply do not get left alone, especially in the woods.

Wobegon
09-14-2011, 14:58
Wow. This is a beyond horrible idea.

paistes5
09-14-2011, 20:45
Wow. This is a beyond horrible idea.

Most sensible quote from this thread.

DavidNH
09-14-2011, 20:52
adamkee11,

Fog Horn makes some very good points. A supported hike would be worth considering. One question I would have, at three years old.. would your son be able to retain the memories? That fabulous mountain sunset shared with Dad? Is there any reason you couldn't delay this a year or two? Perhaps Brodie would by then be stronger? and remember more?

MuddyWaters
09-14-2011, 22:46
A child in that condition could be endangered by that undertaking. Unfortunately, I think that there are people out there that WILL stop you from doing this, even if it means taking the child away from you.

It aint a stroll in the park. Its hard, and it can be pure misery. Truly, I think the child would SUFFER the whole time. I dont think you would make it very far either without sizeable support.

However, I do think the child would enjoy getting out. And short day hikes would be great. If that works well, maybe you can work up to some overnighters. Keeping it short would keep it fun. Keeping it close to help, keeps it safe for him. You are correct, there is existing, and there is living. There is also foolishness.

Destiny2012
09-15-2011, 02:05
1: With all of those appointments all over the place, those 1000 miles in the car, how do you plan to go to those appointments when you are thru-hiking the trail? All of those appointments in just 2 weeks? Are you trying to find a volunteer that can airlift you and your son from the trail when he needs to go to another appointment? Because that is what it will take. Just the fact that your son needs constant appointments should tell you that your idea is totally insane. And I am sure your resume is impressive, but I question your education. People like me are trying to warn you of the very real dangers - yet you ignore us. People who have done the trail for years. With real world experience. That shows a lack of common sense.

2: So what if 1/3rd of your salary will go to insurance and child care?? At least you would be the person providing for your own son, not other people. Coping with the situation in a temporary basis is one thing, but relying on the benefits for the rest of your life is another. They were not designed to do that. I am sure with your degrees that you can figure out how to live cheaply. You will still have 2/3rd of your salary for yourself. I also find your defeatist attitude troublesome in terms of your future. You make it sound hopeless that you, even with your degrees, can provide for your son. With that attitude, you never will.

3: You can talk about God all you want and I respect that, but when the **** hits the fan on the trail, I assure you God will not swoop in and save you. More like Search and Rescue will, and then hit you with a big bill, but they might let it slide if you play the sympathy card on them. I mentioned a book deal for the fact that from your first post, it strongly sounds to me by carefully reading between the lines that you are doing this for others reasons than to just have your son experience the AT. Your son does not know the difference between the AT and the local park. He is 3 years old. He does not have an 'old soul'. He is THREE with a massive disability. He suffers enough I am sure when he is protected inside and is warm. Taking him on the AT is borderline child abuse.

4: You came here to ask for help, to see if your idea is viable. We gave you what you wanted, but you have chosen to not just ignore the combined advice of over a dozen thru-hikers with tons of real world experience, but outright attack us, claiming that we are "disillusioned with the possibilities your (our) life ( lives )hold(s)". It is clear that you have only wanted to listen to those who are crazy enough or lack the education enough to actually encourage you to partake in this foolishness. We are not disillusioned - we are trying to TELL you that your idea is very DANGEROUS - to strongly warn you not to do it. You do not care about our experience, and seem to want go do this no matter the danger to your own son. The fact that the danger is not registering in your brain is highly disturbing. I am sorry if you feel I am rude, but I dislike people who act like idiots both on the trail and off, who ignore proven advice and forge ahead, hurting themselves.

Also, I find it very curious that you end your post saying " If you are so quick to step on MY dreams ". I thought you were doing this for your son..

Maddog
09-15-2011, 02:46
1: With all of those appointments all over the place, those 1000 miles in the car, how do you plan to go to those appointments when you are thru-hiking the trail? All of those appointments in just 2 weeks? Are you trying to find a volunteer that can airlift you and your son from the trail when he needs to go to another appointment? Because that is what it will take. Just the fact that your son needs constant appointments should tell you that your idea is totally insane. And I am sure your resume is impressive, but I question your education. People like me are trying to warn you of the very real dangers - yet you ignore us. People who have done the trail for years. With real world experience. That shows a lack of common sense.

2: So what if 1/3rd of your salary will go to insurance and child care?? At least you would be the person providing for your own son, not other people. Coping with the situation in a temporary basis is one thing, but relying on the benefits for the rest of your life is another. They were not designed to do that. I am sure with your degrees that you can figure out how to live cheaply. You will still have 2/3rd of your salary for yourself. I also find your defeatist attitude troublesome in terms of your future. You make it sound hopeless that you, even with your degrees, can provide for your son. With that attitude, you never will.

3: You can talk about God all you want and I respect that, but when the **** hits the fan on the trail, I assure you God will not swoop in and save you. More like Search and Rescue will, and then hit you with a big bill, but they might let it slide if you play the sympathy card on them. I mentioned a book deal for the fact that from your first post, it strongly sounds to me by carefully reading between the lines that you are doing this for others reasons than to just have your son experience the AT. Your son does not know the difference between the AT and the local park. He is 3 years old. He does not have an 'old soul'. He is THREE with a massive disability. He suffers enough I am sure when he is protected inside and is warm. Taking him on the AT is borderline child abuse.

4: You came here to ask for help, to see if your idea is viable. We gave you what you wanted, but you have chosen to not just ignore the combined advice of over a dozen thru-hikers with tons of real world experience, but outright attack us, claiming that we are "disillusioned with the possibilities your (our) life ( lives )hold(s)". It is clear that you have only wanted to listen to those who are crazy enough or lack the education enough to actually encourage you to partake in this foolishness. We are not disillusioned - we are trying to TELL you that your idea is very DANGEROUS - to strongly warn you not to do it. You do not care about our experience, and seem to want go do this no matter the danger to your own son. The fact that the danger is not registering in your brain is highly disturbing. I am sorry if you feel I am rude, but I dislike people who act like idiots both on the trail and off, who ignore proven advice and forge ahead, hurting themselves.

Also, I find it very curious that you end your post saying " If you are so quick to step on MY dreams ". I thought you were doing this for your son..Very well said...I completely agree. This is a dangerously bad idea.

glaux
09-15-2011, 06:58
I don't think he would be the youngest to have been out on the trail. Didn't the Family from the North have a baby? (Some years back, but I'm reading the Barefoot Sisters' books now.) There was a lot of controversy on here about their choices, too.

You know better than us the physical needs of your child, and the risks of being days away from medical care.

Since it sounds like having water is important, maybe ask around on here to find out how much water you should carry at a time-- based on the rate you both use it, and the time you might expect to go between water sources. Use that in determining the weight you need to carry on the day hikes you should be doing for practice?

Destiny2012
09-15-2011, 12:18
Water will be a moot point due to the fact he has to carry not only his pack with the usual stuff for himself and his child, then carry the child on his back somehow along with the pack. Add in all of the special items for his child in terms of medical needs and supplies. Unless he is planning to rely on a human mule to carry things, the idea of thru-hiking it solo with the child is beyond asinine .

adamkee11
09-15-2011, 14:43
Honestly, I'm about finished responding to comments for a while. I'm far too busy working toward my goals (only one of which is the AT) to address every concern raised. But to clarify, I'm not angry with anyone for anything that's been said. I know I'm doing the best thing for my son each and every day, so I have no guilt about considering this possibility. I have common sense, and I recognize the distinct possibility that this may not be possible despite my best efforts. It's either part of the plan God has for mine and my son's lives, or it's not. But obviously he intended for me to contemplate the idea, and that's what I'm going to do. I appreciate all the input from everyone, both for and against my idea (although I question the tone and intensity some have used). Either way, I will post updates. Thanks.

btw....Brodie's disability is fairly severe, but he's not severely ill. I think that's an important distinction to make.

MyName1sMud
09-15-2011, 16:51
Honestly, I'm about finished responding to comments for a while. I'm far too busy working toward my goals (only one of which is the AT) to address every concern raised. But to clarify, I'm not angry with anyone for anything that's been said. I know I'm doing the best thing for my son each and every day, so I have no guilt about considering this possibility. I have common sense, and I recognize the distinct possibility that this may not be possible despite my best efforts. It's either part of the plan God has for mine and my son's lives, or it's not. But obviously he intended for me to contemplate the idea, and that's what I'm going to do. I appreciate all the input from everyone, both for and against my idea (although I question the tone and intensity some have used). Either way, I will post updates. Thanks.

btw....Brodie's disability is fairly severe, but he's not severely ill. I think that's an important distinction to make.

Man I give you props for wanting to do such a thing but I also think this is a severely BAD IDEA. You say he's not severely ill now... but that can change in the blink of an eye on the trail.

Take walks in the park.

If it's that big of a deal to hike a long trail... hike the Mountains to Sea trail.

adamkee11
09-15-2011, 17:39
I thought I was done writing for a while, but I had to share this. Forget everything discussed within this entire thread, it's irrelevant right now. I feel like I have to shed some light on a much more important issue. After a few back and forth private messages with another member who has been more aggressive with their opinions, they sent me this (I've censored their name because they should already be embarrassed by their words):

Honestly the best thing for both you and the child is for him to die. His suffering will end, as will yours. You can always try for another child that hopefully might not have a disability.

Let me say, disabled or not, suffering is a part of life. And my son copes with life's difficulties better than you, or I, or anyone else could possibly hope to. Believe me when I tell you, people with developmental disabilities have more fulfilling lives than most could ever dream to have. People think they're simple, brain-damaged vegetables or something. You have no idea what goes on in their heads, and no CT scan or MRI could ever shed light on it. They are endowed at the most fundamental level with a love of life. They have so much to offer to those who know them. Forget that Brodie is my son, he is BY FAR the most inspirational, sweetest, incredible person I have ever known. I struggle often with his care, but that is a bargain burden to bear when you consider how he has changed my life for the better. God bless him and every other special person who approaches every single day with the biggest smile they've got.

Wobegon
09-15-2011, 18:16
^Completely irrelevant to yiour original post.

You don't have the money to gather enough personnel to make this hike a reality. The AT is just one footpath in the USA. Your son won't care where he is. HE IS 3! And now you're just rambling about God and special people. You've made no plans, to our knowledge done no research, and taken zero steps to make this feasible since your original post. You came on this forum to ask a group of knowledgeable people their opinions about your plan, and the responses have been overwhelmingly negative. Your response is to be completely defensive. Don't ask people their opinions and then complain that they don't agree with you. If you attempt this, someone WILL stop you.

Doctari
09-15-2011, 18:42
The first time he uses it (emergency button) the hike will be over.
Leave the child (ANY child) alone for 45 minutes? A 4 year old? A four year old with CP? I must assume you do not have children, because every parent here both cringed and laughed simultaneously upon reading that. Children that age simply do not get left alone, especially in the woods.[/QUOTE]

I did NOT say it was OK, I asked. Yea, I got kids, have a grand kid his son's age. I would not leave my grandson, I'm not Adam. AS I posted, my posting is to make him think.

As you were rude to me, and could not be bothered to fully read MY post, I feel free to make the following observation: Get a life.

I still don't know why I keep coming back to this site. Bunch of a**es here. Didn't used to be. Someone asked a legitimate question, asking for help / suggestions, all he has gotten (well almost all) was negativity. Years ago, yes, he would have gotten "are you sure you want to do that? If so, here are some things to think about &/or Here is what I would do in your shoes to achieve that dream." Now,,,,,,,,,,

Yea, I've gotten all I can get & taken all I am willing to tolerate. Whiteblaze has been deleted from my "Favorites". See, I too can be an A**

halfdeaf
09-15-2011, 19:35
quote : "I'm no deadbeat. I never wanted to use public assistance in any way. But I've worked hard"

Ok just doing the math 4 years BS and 2 years masters (full time). 18 + 6 = 24 and you are now 25 ?

starting my job at 5AM tomorrow for the 30th year. Please tell me you are talking about the care of your blessed son and not you long stint as a CPA.

Good luck and GOD bless in the endeavors you decide.

4eyedbuzzard
09-15-2011, 19:48
I did NOT say it was OK, I asked. Yea, I got kids, have a grand kid his son's age. I would not leave my grandson, I'm not Adam. AS I posted, my posting is to make him think.

As you were rude to me, and could not be bothered to fully read MY post, I feel free to make the following observation: Get a life.

I still don't know why I keep coming back to this site. Bunch of a**es here. Didn't used to be. Someone asked a legitimate question, asking for help / suggestions, all he has gotten (well almost all) was negativity. Years ago, yes, he would have gotten "are you sure you want to do that? If so, here are some things to think about &/or Here is what I would do in your shoes to achieve that dream." Now,,,,,,,,,,

Yea, I've gotten all I can get & taken all I am willing to tolerate. Whiteblaze has been deleted from my "Favorites". See, I too can be an A**I wasn't rude to you. You are simply being over-sensitive. I don't know if you have kids, grandkids, or if you're 15 or 50. I read you entire post. You asked, with no indication of your question(s) being rhetorical, if he could leave the child unattended to get water. I doubt that I'm the only person that read it and said ***? Perhaps you should learn to compose your thoughts better.

Mizirlou
09-16-2011, 13:48
My name is Adam and I have a 3 yea old son Named Brodie...Most recently, he was diagnosed with the early stages of lung disease...in the back of my mind, I've been aware of the severity of his condition and what it may mean for quite some time, this was the first time I was hit in the face with his mortality in real terms.
As Brodie approaches his 4th birthday in November, his parents inevitably wonder, “How many more?” How achingly suckifull.

Gorgeous kid
http://culogin.journal-news.net/page/content.detail/id/529278.html?nav=5007

Not that anyone will read this; Adam himself migrated to Trailplace.com.

Slo-go'en
09-16-2011, 17:41
Not that anyone will read this; Adam himself migrated to Trailplace.com.

Good night and good luck. I just hope he wakes up from his dream before it turns into a nightmare.