PDA

View Full Version : A veteran on a much needed break needs help!!!

jstuart5487
08-09-2011, 22:49
My name is Joshua, and this is my first post in the forum. I am in the United States Army, and have completed 6 tours in Afghanistan. I am currently gearing up for my 7th tour and have been graciously awarded some much needed time off. I have decided that I need to get away from all of the noise of everyday military life. I have decided to go on a backpacking trip down the AT from Fontana Dam to Springer, and have no experience as a conventional backpacker. Before you balk at this, or decide to discourage me, i need to tell you a little more about myself. I am a very experienced special operations soldier and have 6 years of experience living out of a ruck-sack. I am in top physical condition and am accustomed to covering 15-20 miles under very heavy loads. My navigation skills are good, if not great, and I am completely self-reliant.
I am here because I have no idea where to begin as far as planning this trip, and I am willing to take advantage of any information that your experience has to offer. I would ask specific questions, but I am not entirely sure what to ask. While I am sure that I could push my way through this without help, I want to make this as enjoyable and as relaxing as possible. Any information that you guys can offer as far as gear selection, re-supplies, camp-sites, and realistic distances per day ( also, i love to fish, so some prime fishing holes would make me happy). I would like to thank you for your help in advance, and I hope to make some friends for future adventures. :)

Very Respectfully,

SSG Stuart, Joshua R.

Ladytrekker
08-09-2011, 22:55
Let me be the first to say Welcome and thank you for your service. This section is so doable for you and as far as gear goes do a search for gear there are alot of threads and you are in the right place you will gets lots of feedback.

A very grateful American.

vamelungeon
08-09-2011, 22:58
Go to a good outfitter and get lighter stuff than the military issues. Military hardware is designed for one-size-fits-all and to take abuse year after year, so it's heavy and doesn't always fit everyone all that well. Don't take MRE's, use dehydrated/freeze dried food. Get some good trail runners instead of boots.

jstuart5487
08-09-2011, 23:01
Thanks for your reply. I am not as worried about the gear selection as I am about the unknown variables of where to start and resupply. I always like to go out the door with a detailed plan, because that's how I've always made it home safely. I am very happy that i discovered this forum, because everyone seems so knowledgeable and friendly. And the wealth of information is almost overwhelming. I have no doubt that this site will be a valuable tool in my future endeavors.

jstuart5487
08-09-2011, 23:04
Dehydrated food... will definitely look into it. I'm definitely burnt out on MRE's. I have a pair of Merell's that are broken in and comfortable, so I think that I am going to try those. They worked well in the Hindu Kush. I am also considering bringing my vibram five fingers, but I don't know yet.

Sierra Echo
08-09-2011, 23:07
You should get a copy of the 2011 Northbound A.T guide.

jstuart5487
08-09-2011, 23:12
I will pick one up tomorrow. Thank you.

ScottP
08-09-2011, 23:43
I have decided to go on a backpacking trip down the AT from Fontana Dam to Springer, and have no experience as a conventional backpacker.

That's a great section. Backpacking as a hobby seems to be much easier than carrying all the stuff you need in the army. You should do fine.

I am in top physical condition and am accustomed to covering 15-20 miles under very heavy loads. My navigation skills are good, if not great, and I am completely self-reliant.

There's nearly zero navigation on the AT. I think the average distance between a blaze (white square the size of a chalk eraser marking the AT) is around 6 or 7 feet.

15-20 miles a day with heavy gear is a lot. Don't feel the need to carry heavy stuff on the AT. Also, there will probably be more up/down than other hiking you've experienced, as the AT is designed to go from gaps to peaks

I am here because I have no idea where to begin as far as planning this trip, and I am willing to take advantage of any information that your experience has to offer.
I would ask specific questions, but I am not entirely sure what to ask. While I am sure that I could push my way through this without help, I want to make this as enjoyable and as relaxing as possible. Any information that you guys can offer as far as gear selection, re-supplies, camp-sites, and realistic distances per day ( also, i love to fish, so some prime fishing holes would make me happy). I would like to thank you for your help in advance, and I hope to make some friends for future adventures. :)

Gear--Less is better. 'Base weight' is the weight of the gear that is normally in your pack. Food, water, and what you would wear in warm/dry conditions don't count. Base weights between 5 and 15 pounds are reasonable for non-winter hiking.

Realistic distances can vary--it depends not only on how good of shape you're in, but what you're in shape for and the experience you want out of your hike. A 'normal day' distance between 10 and 30 is reasonable. You'll do significantly less mileage on days where you need to resupply or plan some form of rest.

Resupply is very easy--every 3-5 days is a comfortable timeframe.

As far as info, you'll want some sort of trail guide. I recommend the ALDHA companion--you get a free electronic copy for spending $10 to join ALDHA. Then you can print off sections as you need from home, public libraries, etc. Maps are nice, but are far less useful and essential than you would think. The guides let you know where there is obviously good camping, water, roads, resupplies, etc.

3-4L of water-carrying capacity comfortable. There aren't many dry stretches, and that will give you enough water to 'dry camp' if you so choose.

As far as food, you'll want healthy dried stuff that cooks easily: instant oatmeal, minute rice, quinoa, instant grits, dried fruit, powdered milk, nuts, etc. It's perfectly fine to carry some fresh fruit/veggies if you want.

Bagels/pita/tortillas +cheese, peanut butter, jam, nutella, etc. are good snacks/meals, as are things like crackers, breakfast cereal, granola bars, etc.

Thanks for serving

Hermes

Feral Nature
08-09-2011, 23:45
Thank you for your service. :)

jstuart5487
08-10-2011, 00:21
ScottP: I am hoping to cover 15 miles a day. Its supposed to be more relaxing, instead of a workout. Although I may run, if the urge strikes me. I will keep your advice in mind and attempt to pack as light as possible. However, I am running into conflicting information in the topic of essential vs. non-essential gear. I will look into the ALDHA. I am beginning to get the feeling that a map and compass, while highly recommended, aren't absolutely necessary, because this leg seems to be fairly straightforward and well marked as far as I can tell. I will definitely have a comprehensive trail guide before i depart, however. The fact that potable water is plentiful is comforting. Dehydration isn't fun. As far as food goes, I think that i might lean upon jerky, dried fruit and nuts as staples because they are offer the most healthy calories. I don't eat grains, but that is a discussion best left for another thread. Thank you again for the advise.

I appreciate your grattitude, but I am not quite sure how to respond. I just answered the call like so many have before me, and so many will long after I am gone. I did it out of a sense of duty and a love for the people of this country, so when someone thanks me or wants to shake my hand, I don't really know how to respond. Ask any veteran who joined for the right reasons, and you will get the same reaction. We aren't good at accepting gratitude because we are used to being thanked for something that we know in our hearts is right.

Once again, thank you all for your invaluable advice.

Lone Wolf
08-10-2011, 00:24
www.hikinghq.net
talk to sgt. rock

Hooch
08-10-2011, 08:14
www.hikinghq.net (http://www.hikinghq.net)
talk to sgt. rockAgreed. It's not just a catchy name, Rock is a retired Army 1SG. Best of luck on your hike, soldier. If you've ever been to Ranger School, which I'm almost positive you have, you'll have no problems in the WNC/NGA mountains. It'll almost feel like home. :D

Two Tents
08-10-2011, 08:25
Thank you for your service. It sounds like you'll do fine. You have made it through some heavy crap being a special forces operator. Forget the 2 is 1,1 is none thing when backpacking. More like 2 is too many and 1 is probably too heavy, Ha Ha! Just go with what you will need to be comfortable. Even if you aren't all that well equipped you can get by with your history of making do in bad situations. Have fun and try not to over think every little detail. It is after all just walking.

bigcranky
08-10-2011, 09:20
You'll be fine. Seriously. That's a great section, with good climbs and some rewarding views.

Don't worry about your gear. Take a tarp or a light tent, a warm-weather sleeping bag, and some light weight hiking clothes. Your PT clothing would probably work; I hike in nylon shorts, a synthetic short sleeve shirt and trail runners. Bring a light fleece for cooler temps at night. A headlamp or small flashlight is useful, and you'll want some sort of water treatment. Everything will fit into a 50 liter ruck. Bring several water bottles, as you'll want plenty on the trail in this heat.

Resupply: You can get some food (and a nice meal) at Nantahala Outdoor Center. When you cross US 64 you can hitch east 10 miles into Franklin, NC, where you'll find a nice selection of supermarkets. Easy hitch, too. Then plan to hitch at Dick's Creek Gap into Hiawassee for resupply, and then get your final resupply at Neels Gap at the outfitter (or get a ride to Walmart just down the mountain.)

A Databook or one of the guidebooks will be a HUGE help on this hike. It'll tell you where the next water is (which is very important in late summer,) as well as the location of road crossings and towns for food and a shower.

I hope you have a good hike. Civilian backpacking is way different from the military, but mostly in a good way. Set an easy pace, and enjoy the freedom to walk without worrying about stuff.

Snowleopard
08-10-2011, 09:34
Joshua, go to the White Blaze home page and on the left side you'll see a list of articles, http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php
One set of articles is about resupply. On most of the day you only have to carry 3 or 4 days food. You'll be regularly passing close to towns where you can resupply. Link to first resupply article, a little dated but still good: http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1

Gear will depend on what time of year you're doing it and what part. For Fontana to Springer in summer, you could get by pretty light weight. The less weight the more comfortable you'll be. Some of the very lightest gear is expensive, but it costs nothing to leave out stuff extraneous to your hike. SGT Rock's article is a good starting point: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?15329-Cheap-Gear-%96-How-to-Dirt-Bag-and-Deal-Shop-Like-a-Professional&p=206678#post206678

Sailor (The other one)
08-10-2011, 09:34
Thank you for your service. And come home safe.
Go here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php , the home page of this site. Go half way down the page and look to the left. You'll see the articles section. Has just about everything you need to know, in detail.
One other thing. I'm a very cynical, untrusting pessimist. But on my five section hikes on the AT, I've met an incredible number of helpful people. I had lots of problems as I learned,, but someone always stepped up - or appeared magically - to help. You'll find good people on the trail.

Rain Man
08-10-2011, 11:00
I will pick one up tomorrow. Thank you.

You should get a copy of the 2011 Northbound A.T guide.

I'm guess she meant to say Southbound, as you will be heading south. Not that it matters a whole lot, but does make it a bit easier to read in the right order.

Thanks for your service! (And don't fret about how to respond, just stay safe.)

I'd guess 15 miles a day for you would be just about ideal. And you have some regular resupply possibilities. Don't be shy if someone offers you trail magic, offers to meet you with supplies.

Did you say when you are headed out? If soon, will want to check on water supplies for August. Some can dry up, but I don't think water will be a real problem. That section of trail has two trail maintaining clubs. You might want to contact them, too. They are "the horse's mouth" for up-to-date trail issues and advice too. In Georgia, it's the Georgia AT Club at http://www.georgia-atclub.org/. In that part of North Carolina, it's the Nantahala Hiking Club at http://www.nantahalahikingclub.org/.

www.hikinghq.net
talk to sgt. rock

Lone Wolf is correct!

Rain:sunMan

-SEEKER-
08-10-2011, 11:32
Joshua,
You have been given some very good leads here for planning your hike.
I am one of those who makes it a point to thank others for their service and if possible shake their hand. Nothing is expected in return. If you are not sure how to respond, just try a simple "you're welcome" or even just a nod of the head. We certainly don't wish to make you uncomfortable.
Thank you for your service and I hope you have a wonderful hike that brings you a great deal of peace and relaxation.

DLANOIE
08-10-2011, 11:39
Hey man, thank you so much for putting your life out there for me and mine! Best of luck on your hike.

Liv2Ride
08-10-2011, 11:54
Joshua. The water on the trail is not potable. It's not coming from a faucet. You will need to either filter it or treat it with chemicals. There are a few that drink straight from the water source and don't treat or filter their water but most folks will agree that it is wise to always use one method or the other. There are a bunch of ways to treat or filter water and depending on who you talk to the preferred way will vary.

Someone here suggested carrying 3-4 liters of water. In my opinion that is too much to haul all of the time. Definately have the means to hold 3 or more liters such as for camp use or for hot or dry stretches but don't bother carrying that much unless you know for sure that you need to. Check out your guide for known water sources and gage your decision on how much you need to carry based on whether it's a known year round source, a seasonal source, and what others are saying that have recently hike the stretch. Each liter of water weighs a tad over 2 pounds. That's roughly 6.5 pounds for 3 liters. 2 liters and max 3 liters should be more than enough to get you between most stretches. There are those that think 1 liter is enough between water sources but without knowing what your needs are and without knowing exactly where the next water source is I would carry more than 1 liter but no more than 3 liters. The camelbak bladder that you were issued is good to go unless you prefer to use gatoraid bottles, aquafina bottles, platypus bottles, etc., etc.

It may sound silly but I recommend that you pick up a set of hiking poles. The wal-mart variety will do in a pinch. After this adventure you can always decide if you want to invest in a more expensive gear.

Trail guides are invaluable but my Army mentality insists that I still carry a topo map and lightweight compass for the area that I am backpacking. Possibly a overkill for the AT but because I typically backpack in wilderness areas versus the AT it gives me a sense of comfort knowing that I have the ability to "see" more of my surroundings thereby giving me more options.

Gear is a personal choice and what works for one may not work at all for you. There are a number of gear lists that are out there that people have posted but review them with a clear head because what works for an experienced super ultralighter may make for a miserable or dangerous experience for someone without experience or someone that wants a few more creature comforts. That said, I totally agree that the lighter you can get your pack the easier the hike will be. Just don't leave out the components that you believe that you need to feel in control, to be safe and to be comfortable. Multi tasking individual items is one way to carry less.

If you are planning to drive and leave your vehicle at a trailhead, park it at the location where you intend to end your hike and get a shuttle to where you intend to begin your hike.

Good luck and enjoy the peace before heading back down range.

Hooah!

Sly
08-10-2011, 12:13
Joshua, PM me your email and I send you a complimentary copy of the Thru-Hikers Companion in PDF. You'll be able to print out the necessary pages for your hike.

Sly
08-10-2011, 12:37
Joshua, PM me your email and I send you a complimentary copy of the Thru-Hikers Companion in PDF. You'll be able to print out the necessary pages for your hike.

Never mind, found it on your profile. PDF sent.

Have a great hike.

Hooch
08-10-2011, 15:56
Never mind, found it on your profile. PDF sent.

Have a great hike.U da man, Sly! :banana

When ya coming down south again, old man? :D

OnlyJohn
08-10-2011, 15:59
First of all, Thank you for your service.
Second, When are you planning this trip? I live very close to Springer and if you want a ride to Fontana I can probably provide that. Just PM me and I can give you my number so that we can coordinate schedules. It would be the least I could do for someone who protects my safety and the safety of my family.
John Walls

Fog Horn
08-10-2011, 16:45
I can't offer any advice that hasn't been covered yet, but I will say that although it might not be necessary to bring a map and compass, the weight is sort of negligible, and you might be more comfortable/amused carrying it with the military training. Most people switch to gps on the trail if anything, but I think I'm still going to be packing my compass along. I won't be using any other military gear though. Yours is much better than mine, I'm sure, but as stated already, its heavy, cumbersome, and meant for an entirely different purpose than hiking for enjoyment.

MDMP teaches you how to plan for every outcome, but I'd urge you to plan less and experience more. Know where your next source of water is and food resupply, but leave it open if you will hike ten miles or twenty miles that day depending on how you feel. Be flexible.

Good luck, and I hope you find it as relaxing as possible! You've earned it! Thank you for your service. (also remember that near the bottom of the trail there is occasionally some ranger training, so don't go Rambo on them ;)

Fog Horn
08-10-2011, 16:51
Joshua,
You have been given some very good leads here for planning your hike.
I am one of those who makes it a point to thank others for their service and if possible shake their hand. Nothing is expected in return. If you are not sure how to respond, just try a simple "you're welcome" or even just a nod of the head. We certainly don't wish to make you uncomfortable.
Thank you for your service and I hope you have a wonderful hike that brings you a great deal of peace and relaxation.

I usually have a hard time with "you're welcome" because it implies that I did something worth thanking for (which is the topic for debate, since its just doing my job). I have found that replying with "thank you for your support" has worked the best.

Sierra Echo
08-10-2011, 19:20
I'm guess she meant to say Southbound, as you will be heading south. Not that it matters a whole lot, but does make it a bit easier to read in the right order.

That works too! I'm reading mine backwards! LOL But works for the goose doesn't always work for the gander~!

Sly
08-10-2011, 19:41
U da man, Sly! :banana

When ya coming down south again, old man? :D

Thanks, least I could do. I'll be moseying down after the Gathering.

Sierra Echo
08-10-2011, 19:43
Thanks, least I could do. I'll be moseying down after the Gathering.

Sly wants to go deliver mail with me!

jstuart5487
08-10-2011, 20:30
Let me start off by saying that the amount of people that have been so eager to help me is amazing. You guys are awesome. The process of planning this seemed a bit overwhelming at first, but you guys have pretty much planned the trip for me. :) I have a pretty solid idea of where to go, and what to bring, now all that is left is the experience itself. Wish I could bring all of you guys along. I will bring my camera, and be sure to document the trip so you guys can see for yourselves! I don't think that I have ever been more excited to try experience something new. Thanks for everything. Oh, and keep the advice coming, because I will never know enough!

Thank you for your support!

jstuart5487
08-10-2011, 20:31
I can't offer any advice that hasn't been covered yet, but I will say that although it might not be necessary to bring a map and compass, the weight is sort of negligible, and you might be more comfortable/amused carrying it with the military training. Most people switch to gps on the trail if anything, but I think I'm still going to be packing my compass along. I won't be using any other military gear though. Yours is much better than mine, I'm sure, but as stated already, its heavy, cumbersome, and meant for an entirely different purpose than hiking for enjoyment.

MDMP teaches you how to plan for every outcome, but I'd urge you to plan less and experience more. Know where your next source of water is and food resupply, but leave it open if you will hike ten miles or twenty miles that day depending on how you feel. Be flexible.

Good luck, and I hope you find it as relaxing as possible! You've earned it! Thank you for your service. (also remember that near the bottom of the trail there is occasionally some ranger training, so don't go Rambo on them ;)

I don't plan on messing with any Rangers anytime soon, have you seen those guys? ;-)

Six-Six
08-10-2011, 20:45
I can't add anything new as far as advice - I'll just emphasize again to don't overplan - relax and enjoy the trip...you've earned it. Thank you.

jstuart5487
08-10-2011, 20:45
Where is the best place to park my car if I plan on shuttling up to Fontana and ending in Springer?

Pringles
08-10-2011, 20:58
Thank you for serving, be safe, and have a wonderful trip! Pringles

Sly
08-10-2011, 22:03
Where is the best place to park my car if I plan on shuttling up to Fontana and ending in Springer?

You could leave it at FS road 42, but I don't know how safe it would be. You're best option is to leave it at Amicalola Falls State Park, where it will be safe, and hike the Approach Trail after. It's only another 8.8, all downhill. It costs like $3 to get in the park, but there's no problem leaving your car right at the end to the Approach Trail.

If you need to find a shuttle here's the ATC list.

Sierra Echo
08-10-2011, 22:10
It costs like $3 to get in the park, but there's no problem leaving your car right at the end to the Approach Trail.

$5 and it has to be cash.

Wombat Farm
08-10-2011, 22:15
Balk and discourage...hell no! If you can do multiple tours in Afganistan (I've got a brother there right now) you can do anything Joshua!!!!!! Enjoy your solitude and stay posative. Life doesn't get any better than putting one foot in front of the other all day scanning the beautiful surroundings. :banana

jstuart5487
08-10-2011, 22:48
I can't wait to get there and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I mean, don't get me wrong the Hindu Kush is beautiful, but the RPG's and AK's tend to ruin the experience. Hopefully no one will shoot at me on the AT!!! How is the approach trail if I am coming in from the north? I want to start in Fontana, and want my car to be there at the end. Would Amicoloa be a good place to end instead of the small springer access road?

jstuart5487
08-10-2011, 22:49
I can't wait to get there and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I mean, don't get me wrong the Hindu Kush is beautiful, but the RPG's and AK's tend to ruin the experience. Hopefully no one will shoot at me on the AT!!! How is the approach trail if I am coming in from the north? I want to start in Fontana, and want my car to be there at the end. Would Amicoloa be a good place to end instead of the small springer access road?<br>

Hooch
08-10-2011, 22:54
You've got to go past the access road to get to the Springer summit anyway. Like Sly said, it's another 8.8 miles to the parking area at Amicalola and almost all downhill. Your car will definitely be much safer there than it would be at the FS42 parking lot.

Destiny2012
08-10-2011, 23:57
Holy hell.. 6 tours going on 7?

These wars need to end.

Anyway, I wish you the best of times on your hike!!

jstuart5487
08-11-2011, 00:15
Holy hell.. 6 tours going on 7?

These wars need to end.

Anyway, I wish you the best of times on your hike!!

Who are you telling? haha.... Yeah, it will end in good time. Lord knows that we can't afford it any more... Thank you for the well wishing, i will let you know how it turns out...

Wolf - 23000
08-11-2011, 02:57
SSG Stuart,

First let me say from one Army soldier to another, great job over there!!! In our line of work it involves many, many long hours, stress and low pay for what we do. For me, backpacking is a great way to unwind. It gets you away from all that. It is a chance to hike as far and as long as you want with a chance to relax your mind and on top of that it give you a chance to meet some really great people.

Here is my suggestion. First don't take any Army equipment if you can afford it. I've hiked the Appalachian Trail several times and never take any of my Army Equipment. It is unnecessary heavy and uncomfortable. It is also a chance to get that break you need. A chance to clear you mind.
There is a number of good stores such as REI which is a great place to get your equipment. I would get a small light weight sleeping bag. It may cost a few extra bucks but it will be worth it. The smaller your sleeping bag means you can get a smaller backpack saving both weight on your back for the same amount of money. I don't fish on the trail but it sounds like something you enjoy. I would suggest taking a little bit larger pack to have those extra things that you would like to have.
Clothing does not have to be heavy. The heavy something is, general will take longer to dry off.

I like to use a tarp which helps me feel like I still sleeping in nature while still having cover from Rain but it is up to you. I just wanted to point out there are more options than the normal sleeping in a tent.

This is your vacation, enjoy it! It is not a road march. If you feel like hiking 20 miles a day then do it. If you feel like only doing 5 then do it. Have FUN!!!

V/R

Wolf
AT * 5

Fog Horn
08-11-2011, 11:05
I don't plan on messing with any Rangers anytime soon, have you seen those guys? ;-)

LOL I'm at Bragg. Seems like every guy who hits on me is a Ranger, Delta, or Special Forces :p

BigFoot2002
08-11-2011, 12:28
Sorry Fog Horn, but I just gotta ask. You are a girl.....right?

CrumbSnatcher
08-11-2011, 13:45
joshua, thankyou so much for all you have done for all of us to enjoy are freedoms.
if you need any gear or anything please ask. thanks

Fog Horn
08-11-2011, 13:58
Sorry Fog Horn, but I just gotta ask. You are a girl.....right?

I sure hope so, or I've been using the wrong bathroom for the last 29 years :p haha.

BigFoot2002
08-11-2011, 15:07
That's a relief Fog Horn. lol

SGT I would thank you for your service, as I often do when I see a vet, but I have noticed it often makes vets uncomfortable when I do so. So I won't say thanks, I am privileged to hike the AT because of your service and sacrifice. But I often reflect while I am out there, that I am privileged to hike this beautiful country because of the service and sacrifice of a whole lot of people like you.

Also, I noticed on another thread that you are a hammock hanger. In my opinion that is a great option for this section this time of year. Get with SGT Rock for more hammock advice on the trail and at work.

Have a great hike, and another when you get back safe.

-SEEKER-
08-11-2011, 15:07
I usually have a hard time with "you're welcome" because it implies that I did something worth thanking for (which is the topic for debate, since its just doing my job). I have found that replying with "thank you for your support" has worked the best.
First of all you did do something worth thanking for even though you may feel you are "just doing your job". The "thank you for your support" is a very nice reply. BTW thank you all here on WB for your service. That being said, I will stand down and let the topic return to Joshua's original question.

Destiny2012
08-11-2011, 15:51
Nothing wrong with gay people in the military, don't ask don't tell is gone.

BigFoot2002
08-11-2011, 16:49
Absolutely not. Go Navy.

bigcranky
08-11-2011, 17:37
The parking area is in Amicalola Falls State Park, and it's a fitting end to a long section. The Approach Trail is easy southbound, and you'll walk down the falls and through the arch to the park HQ. Very pleasant. You can spend your last night on top of Springer, then hike out the next morning and be in town for lunch.

The first couple of times I hiked, I felt kinda naked without my M16. I'd occasionally wake up in a panic thinking I'd lost it. (I didn't have any outdoor experience before the Army.) That was many years ago, and I have to say, the adjustment turned out to be easy. Civilian hiking is great, and no one shoots at you.

Have a GREAT trip.

lemon b
08-11-2011, 18:03
Thanks for holding down the fort. The trail is a place to relax. Use Geo survey maps for pace elevation counts. The route is marked. On the wisperlight watch carban buildup on the jet with unleaded gas. The sticks are for us old troopers knees. Enjoy!!

jstuart5487
08-11-2011, 20:29
LOL I'm at Bragg. Seems like every guy who hits on me is a Ranger, Delta, or Special Forces :p

You have caught the attention of some of the best men in America. You must be doing something right!

jstuart5487
08-11-2011, 20:33
The parking area is in Amicalola Falls State Park, and it's a fitting end to a long section. The Approach Trail is easy southbound, and you'll walk down the falls and through the arch to the park HQ. Very pleasant. You can spend your last night on top of Springer, then hike out the next morning and be in town for lunch.

The first couple of times I hiked, I felt kinda naked without my M16. I'd occasionally wake up in a panic thinking I'd lost it. (I didn't have any outdoor experience before the Army.) That was many years ago, and I have to say, the adjustment turned out to be easy. Civilian hiking is great, and no one shoots at you.

Have a GREAT trip.

Sir, I wake up in my apartment some nights looking for my m-4, I know the feeling... Thanks for the well wishes!

jstuart5487
08-11-2011, 20:34
Is there anywhere that I can order 1/50,000 topo maps for this leg of the trail?

Skidsteer
08-11-2011, 21:16
Nothing wrong with gay people in the military, don't ask don't tell is gone.

I thought I had read every page of this thread but perhaps I missed a post.

***?

ScottP
08-11-2011, 21:17
http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/quickstart.pdf

i (http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/quickstart.pdf)f you want to print them off at home or a print shop, they're free to download.

bigcranky
08-11-2011, 21:27
Is there anywhere that I can order 1/50,000 topo maps for this leg of the trail?

You can buy the ATC official maps. There are two of them that cover the trail from Springer to the Smokies. They'll be available in any decent hiking outfitter, or online at the ATC web site. Or you can stop by the outfitter at Neels Gap on your way to Springer, and buy them there. The maps are very good.

bigcranky
08-11-2011, 21:28
Sorry, here's the link for the ATC store online:

http://www.atctrailstore.org/

Liv2Ride
08-12-2011, 09:55
If you decide to not carry a "real" map, which is basically fine for the AT you can buy a couple of pocket maps that will give you pretty good information for the parts that you will walk. They are around 18"x4", 2 sided and are easy to carry and use. You're not going to get the detail that you get from a normal topo map but it does give decent data such as milage, elevation, water, shelter, roads, etc. Again, they are not intended to replace a good topo map but they will work in a pinch for the AT. Here's the link: http://pocketprofilemaps.com/appalachian-trail.html

If you buy the individual ones you will need AT-1 and AT-2. They are $3.95 each or you can buy the whole southern set for $19.75. It's too bad that you're not near an REI because they carry them. Otherwise you will need to order them or pick them up at Amicalola, Fontana or a number of other places before you hit the trail.

Driver8
08-12-2011, 10:25
Thank you for serving us all, Joshua! A couple things for you:

1. Just a thought, but if you start at Clingman's Dome, just a bit north of Fontana Dam, you'll be hitting the highest elevation on the whole A.T. Might be worth it for the views alone, time permitting. I'm betting you'll be able to motor and will likely find, soon if not right away, that 15 miles is a short day for you. Unless you fish a lot. Which brings me to ...

2. I've not read this thead super-closely, but I didn't see where anyone addressed your fishing question. The eastern parts of Fontana Lake, a few miles from the A.T., I hear, has good fishing. I've only heard there here on W.B. and know nothing of it from personal experience. Some others can, I hope, share more about this and other fishing holes on your route.

3. The A.T. is famously well-blazed throughout, and a highly used and so well-worn path, but I think a map, if not also a compass, is an absolute necessity. Probably preaching to the choir, but I only go without a map on trail I know really well from past hikes. I almost never consult a compass - blessed with a good sense of direction and good nav skills - but am never w/o a map on new trail.

lemon b
08-12-2011, 18:29
Might want to bring your poncho liner. Quite frankly I did that section back in 78 and forgot alot but it did get chilly late. Carried C's for the first 100 clicks (4 days) Back when I was with the 508th the rucks had a frame. Did we ever go to internal frames for humping 11 Bushs?

jstuart5487
08-13-2011, 02:06
Might want to bring your poncho liner. Quite frankly I did that section back in 78 and forgot alot but it did get chilly late. Carried C's for the first 100 clicks (4 days) Back when I was with the 508th the rucks had a frame. Did we ever go to internal frames for humping 11 Bushs?

Sir, I go no where without my poncho liner... And I wish that we still had the old C rations, the new MRE's don't even come close. We are still using external framed 100L rucksacks... The frame is no longer metal, however, but a contoured plastic that fits quite nicely on your back. But its way to be to be justify taking it without 6 months worth of gear in it...

As far as fishing is concerned... I have promised myself that I am going to devote one day (at least) to eating nothing that I cannot procure naturally, and trout freshly caught is incredibly tasty!

Once again, thank you all for your advice. God bless! ( 7 days and I'm on the Trail!!!!!)

Ironbelly
08-13-2011, 08:20
Only the Marines have an 'issued' internal frame pack now. They call it the ILBE, it is an Arc'teryx Bora 90 reinforced to carry 120lbs and in multicam vice standard civilian colors. This pack is night and day comfortable to any other military pack ever issued, including the current army MOLLE packs or whatever they are called.

jstuart5487
08-13-2011, 09:54
Only the Marines have an 'issued' internal frame pack now. They call it the ILBE, it is an Arc'teryx Bora 90 reinforced to carry 120lbs and in multicam vice standard civilian colors. This pack is night and day comfortable to any other military pack ever issued, including the current army MOLLE packs or whatever they are called.

I have seen those, and I have to say that I am quite jealous...

lemon b
08-13-2011, 15:40
Josh I work for a living. Understand the sir thing as my Dad was a ranger from the south, never took **** off nobodys mouth. Give him any lip ya better run for your life. Carried a gun and a knife. Germans ran for thier life. On the belt a hand gernade between the toes razer blades.. Name is Lemon on the trail. Dwight at home. Thia time of year might think of hiking up North.

lemon b
08-13-2011, 15:41
Trail Name in 78 was Tunnel Rat the kids changed it.

Mother Nature
08-13-2011, 19:31
My son is currently in Afghanistan. I thank you both for your sacrifice. As a parent of a soldier having served 4 loooong tours I know the need to get out and relax. That section of AT will be fun.

Just a word, I am a GATC maintainer and I have been hearing that water is getting to be an issue on the trail in GA. Pirate posted today that water between Springer and Neel Gap is limited. Just a heads up on the situation. The springs at a lot of the shelters get very iffy this time of year. Still plenty of sources available. Best of carry 1 more liter than you think you need.

OnlyJohn
08-15-2011, 07:30
I was on the trail between Woody Gap and Blood Mountain on Saturday. There is still water in Lance Creek, but most of the smaller streams have little to none in them. It did rain there late Saturday so that will probably help some, at least for the first part of the week.

jstuart5487
08-18-2011, 09:00
The adventure begins today!!! Thank you everyone for all of your advice! I will let you all know how it goes and I will upload some pictures soon!

BigFoot2002
08-18-2011, 16:15
Enjoy your month off. You sure earned it. Have a great hike.