PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide between hammock or tent!

lkaluzi
08-10-2011, 09:20
I'm planning a thru-hike for 2012 and I can't decide if I want to take a tent or a hammock. I've slept in a hammock before and was very comfortable, but there are other things to consider. I know the pros and cons of a tent, but not so much for the hammock.
Pros of Tent: Shelter and Privacy- place to change and organize your pack while its raining
Warmer because of ground insulation
Cons of Tent: Not as comfortable as hammock
Not as easy to set up

What are the Pros and cons of hammocking? Which one is cheaper for the whole setup? Which one is lighter for the whole setup? How do hammocks hold up in bad weather?

Thanks,
Lynn

nathan2
08-10-2011, 10:10
I did half the AT in 2006. I started with a tent and slept fine, however... I got a hammock in Hot Springs and from then on looked forward to going to bed because it was so darn comfortable! On the AT you can hammock just about anywhere. Tents on the other hand require a flat level spot that are not always available when you want them. I remember one time I got tired and right then and there slung up my hammock and was taking a much needed nap in no time.

Bags4266
08-10-2011, 11:04
Do both, I use one or the other according to where I am hiking.

Pros- comfy and thats the biggest. 2nd would be a chair to sit in while at camp.
3rd you could hike till dawn and always find two tree's to hang from instead of searching for a level tent spot
Cons- you need to buy extra gear, under and over quilts. (yea you could go cheap and use a pad)
I could get lower in weight w/ a tent setup not much though.

stars in her eyes
08-10-2011, 11:26
Pros of Tent: Shelter and Privacy- place to change and organize your pack while its raining
Not as easy to set up

What are the Pros and cons of hammocking? Which one is cheaper for the whole setup? Which one is lighter for the whole setup? How do hammocks hold up in bad weather?

Thanks,
Lynn

I've backpacked with both tents and hammocks. I currently use a hammock system that I've spent quite a bit of time customizing to my needs. Either setup can be lighter or cheaper depending on what you buy, so those aren't really great deciding points on either account. Also, a tent is not necessarily warmer; remember that with a hammock, you generally use a pad or underquilt as a bottom insulation and that can keep you nice and warm. As far as weather is concerned - hammocks hold up excellently in bad weather -- as long as you pitch your tarp accordingly. There are many different tarp pitches you should learn so you can maximize the adaptability of a hammock.

Here are a few additions to your pros and cons for both options.

Tent- Pros:
Privacy, hardly any learning curve, less accessories to carry, ease of setup

Tent- Cons:
tents that require poles - if a pole or section breaks, you're SOL, condensation is a major issue with single-walled tents, tents can flood in bad weather, lots of pressure points when laying on the ground - even on a pad - makes for a less restful sleep (more tossing and turning), needs a level area to pitch, very few options in the way of customizing
-----------
Hammock- Pros:
very comfortable, well-ventilated, can set up just about anywhere there are two sturdy tie-off points (not necessarily trees) with no overhead dangers (think widowmakers), easily customized, acts as a bed and a camp chair

Hammock- Cons:
steeper learning curve - many people almost give up or give up entirely after their first night in a hammock (there are many mistakes you can make), more accessories to carry (tarp, suspension, top- and under-quilts, sometimes an extra CCF pad), generally takes longer to set up

Plenty of people thru-hike the AT with a tent and are happy with it. Other people thru-hike the AT with a hammock and are happy with it. Some people, like Naathan, do both! :) If you're interested in hammocking, then get out there and try it out, but really give it a good try - not just a single night in the backyard (but by all means get comfortable with the system before taking off into the wild). I switched to a hammock setup a few years ago and I may never go back to a tent. It's so comfortable that I sometimes set it up in my yard on my days off - rain or shine - and just hang out in it. Like I stated earlier, I've been able to modify and customize my setup to fit my every need.

There are plenty of cheap hammocks out there you can try. ENO makes a cheap one, a Speer hammock is $100 but very comfortable. Warbonnet Outdoors makes an lightweight, net-less hammock for $65 with suspension.

a better forum for hammocks is hammockforums.net -- the information contained there can be overwhelming at first simply because it's ALL there.

DLANOIE
08-10-2011, 11:52
I'm planning a thru-hike for 2012 and I can't decide if I want to take a tent or a hammock. I've slept in a hammock before and was very comfortable, but there are other things to consider. I know the pros and cons of a tent, but not so much for the hammock.
Not as easy to set up

Thanks,
Lynn

Im not sure if this will help you or not, but...

I used a HH for my thru in 2006. I used it maybe a dozen times and slept in shelters the rest of the time. Along with JRB nest over quilt and an JRB underquilt and an OES maccat deluxe tarp, it was a sweet setup. I liked being able to camp ANYWHERE and my hammock NEVER saw a drop of water even during the worst rainstorms.

However, and this is just my experience, I never got a good nights sleep! Always tossed and turned and just could not get comfy. I had and used this setup for 4-5 years before I finally gave up. I am back to ground dwelling now and will not look back any time soon.

Hammock camping has come a long way over recent years. And alot of people swear by them. It just was not for me. YMMV.

Rain Man
08-10-2011, 18:19
What are the Pros and cons of hammocking?

I used to tent, now I hammock. One "con" of hammocking is that stock hammocks give you no place to put things. Think car without a cup holder. But that is a con that you can pretty easily overcome if you sew or buy some pockets to attach with Velcro or hang over the ridge line.

A "pro" of hammocking is that the rain fly can be set up as a simple tarp by itself. Not so much with tent rain flies and all their curves and weird shapes. (though sometimes you can use the tent poles ... it depends)

Rain:sunMan

chiefduffy
08-10-2011, 22:14
At age 20 I slept like a baby in tents. Not possible for me anymore. Now I sleep like a baby in my hammock. YMMV

Shooting Star
08-10-2011, 22:31
Do people who toss and turn alot in their sleep or like to sleep on their stomachs adjust well to hammock sleeping?
Or do hammocks work better for people who sleep pretty sound on their backs and don't shift about much?

DLANOIE
08-10-2011, 23:10
Do people who toss and turn alot in their sleep or like to sleep on their stomachs adjust well to hammock sleeping?
Or do hammocks work better for people who sleep pretty sound on their backs and don't shift about much?

Opinions will vary greatly. I am a stomach and side sleeper and had a hard time after a few hours in a hammock. I toss and turn and occasionally sleepwalk! After 5 years of really giving it a go, I gave up hammocking. YMMV.

stars in her eyes
08-10-2011, 23:34

Like DLANOIE said, YMMV, but I am a side/stomach sleeper and I do just fine in my Warbonnet Blackbird. I'm also a lot smaller than most people who use the Blackbird (I'm 5'2"), so who knows if that is a factor.

Destiny2012
08-10-2011, 23:52
I used a tent on my first thru hike, and then I tried to use a hammock on my second one. A few weeks into the thru I ditched the hammock and picked up a tent.

I just could not get used to the downsides of a hammock. :eek:

daddytwosticks
08-11-2011, 07:22
The only way you'll know for sure is if you TRY hammocking. I did this by buying the top of the line model and giving it a try. It didn't work for ME and I sold my hammock for a good price. :)

Desert Reprobate
08-11-2011, 07:48
Hang out at Hammock Forums for a bit. Try to attend a hang or two. There will be all the different setups available to view and plenty of other hangers to provide interesting points of view. I switched to a hammock a couple of years ago and sleep like a baby. I need a CPAP to sleep at home but in the hammock I never miss it. It may not be for everyone but nothing is.

Desert Reprobate
08-11-2011, 07:51
Hang out at Hammock Forums for a bit. Try to attend a hang or two. There will be all the different setups available to view and plenty of other hangers to provide interesting points of view. I switched to a hammock a couple of years ago and sleep like a baby. I need a CPAP to sleep at home but in the hammock I never miss it. It may not be for everyone but nothing is.

Ender
08-11-2011, 09:45
One "con" of hammocking is that stock hammocks give you no place to put things. Think car without a cup holder. But that is a con that you can pretty easily overcome if you sew or buy some pockets to attach with Velcro or hang over the ridge line..

I've been hammocking for years now, and this still bugs me about it. I like to keep a bunch of stuff with me, and in a hammock that just isn't easy. I've actually been leaning back towards tenting recently. The NeoAir sleeping pads are comfortable enough that going back to ground hasn't really been that hard at all for me. It's not quite as comfortable as the hammock, but it's much more comfortable than my old CCF or Thermarest pads I used to use. I get the added space inside the tent to have my stuff with me, plus it's a lot easier to change in a tent than in a hammock.

JaxHiker
08-11-2011, 09:56
As for stowing stuff, my Hennessy didn't have anyplace but my Light Hiker has two pockets. With the Hennessy I could always add a gear pocket to the ridgeline.

I like the flexibility of the hammock. If it's raining I can put the tarp up first and have a dry place to setup the hammock. With a tent your tent is usually getting wet/soaked because you have to put it up before you can put the rain fly on. You don't have to worry about finding the "perfect" campsite or clear rocks/debris like you do for a tent. Again with the rain you don't have to worry about it soaking the bottom of your tent or running inside.

There can certainly be a fiddle factor but with practice comes experience and you can eyeball tree distances, suspension angles, etc. You can also use/make systems that are quickly and easily adjustable (eg slide your tarp over a little more because you find it's not covering the hammock as much as you'd like). I can have my hammock setup in a matter of minutes to make a comfy chair when taking a longer break.

There are just a lot more pros for me in a hammock than a tent. And I've never slept well on the ground. I always toss and turn.

Tom Murphy
08-11-2011, 12:08
One "con" of hammocking is that stock hammocks give you no place to put things.

I use a JRB bridge hammock which is at the heavy end of the spectrum due to spreader poles, BUT it comes with a set of velcro pockets that I use for little things like a night light.

Tents and hammocks each have their advantages & disadvantages. In forest with heavy ground cover, a hammock really shines.

Ewker
08-11-2011, 12:29

Opinions will vary greatly. I am a stomach and side sleeper and had a hard time after a few hours in a hammock. I toss and turn and occasionally sleepwalk! After 5 years of really giving it a go, I gave up hammocking. YMMV.

my gf uses the Jack-R-Better Bridge hammock. She sleeps great whether she is on her side, back or stomach. She would highly recommend it to anyone.

It is heavier than most hammocks since it does use the spreader bars.

Old Hiker
08-11-2011, 12:30
I've used a Clark Jungle hammock for years now and like it. I still tent at the FL state parks, since you can't hang from any trees in the parks, but on the last 30 mile section hike, my hammock was great. Clark has integral pockets on the outside, one of which I use to store my crocs for late night tree watering. I have to replace a stretch cord that broke and I was careless sitting down, so my mosquito netting tore a bit, but I'm still planning on using it on my thru attempt next year. I've hung on slopes that were pretty severe, knee height downhill and waist high or higher uphill.

The only time that sucks is when you put your gear down and see it merrily rolling down the hill! :eek:

GA Red
08-11-2011, 12:40
I live in the South, so, I accept the fact that I am naturally slow. What does YMMV mean?

Do you hangers use a ground cloth for standing on before climbing in? I just got an entry level ENO and have been hanging around the back yard a bit. I like the chair factor!

daddytwosticks
08-11-2011, 15:30
YMMV...your mileage may vary? :)

Spokes
08-11-2011, 16:21
Check out Shug's 11 part video series covering most everything you need to know about hammocks. It'll either make you a believer or make you cuss 'em. WOOHOO BUDDY!

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjL4ric6JZc&feature=relmfu)

Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOT7NkI-gU&feature=relmfu)

Part 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neyeahj2Rhk&feature=relmfu)

Part 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz4H0ewbevI&feature=relmfu)

Part 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQFuhtlaAE&feature=relmfu)

Part 7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac3pbM7o0xg&feature=relmfu)

Part 8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSbL95V3erY&feature=relmfu)

Part 9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unO1K_OBCfA&feature=relmfu)

Part 10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vjP47X-WP8&feature=relmfu)

Part 11 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufApQG6BpVs&feature=relmfu)

Cheers!

trippclark
08-11-2011, 16:44
One "con" of hammocking is that stock hammocks give you no place to put things. Think car without a cup holder. But that is a con that you can pretty easily overcome if you sew or buy some pockets to attach with Velcro or hang over the ridge line.

Rain:sunMan

The biggest exception to this issue is the Blackbird hammock by Warbonnet Outdoors. The Blackbird has a sizable gear shelf that is quite handy. On my last few trips, none of my gear has been on the ground. It has either been in the bear bag (food and smellables), in the hammock stowed on the shelf, or directly above the hammock and under the tarp in a pack cover/gear hammock from JRB attached to a "clothesline" with prusik's. This combination has really worked well. Everything is above ground, dry, and away from rodents.

Nutbrown
08-11-2011, 16:52
My back always hurts when I tent, so on to the hammock for me. It takes a while to figure out your sweet spot. If you are at all handy, buy a few yards of ripstop, sew the edges, tie the ends and poof, you have a hammock to try for about $20.

EastCoastFeastCoast
08-11-2011, 17:34
Are you staying in shelters most of the time or are you using tent/hammock the whole way? If you aren't planning on staying in shelters, I would try them out before you go, figure out which works best for you. If you do plan to stay in shelters, just stick with the tent, it will be easier. If you choose a hammock and plan on doing a thru hike, you probably want to invest in a good tarp, TQ, UQ, and ridge line system. The quilts can get pricey, but no more than a new down bag really. Just something to consider. You can get a quality ridge line setup and tarp under 200 bucks easily. If you want to try it out, I suggest getting a Dutch Flyz and Hook. They make setting up a tarp ridge line a snap in just a minute and weigh almost nothing. Make sure the hammock you get is good and be sure you are setting it up right. Shug's videos are super legit and answer most any question you can think of when starting out. Here's some links to some quality gear to look at-

Dutch Flyz and Hook (he has a little video that shows them in action)

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/dutchware/

Warbonnet (Amazing hammocks and some quality tarps as well)
http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/

Hammockgear (the best quilts out there imo, and at amazing prices. also they do custom work, just give em a shout)
http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index

OES (quality tarps at affordable prices. Look at the MacCat tarps especially. Also do custom / CF work)
http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

Zpacks (you probably already know these guys! they do CF hammock tarps, too!!!!)
http://www.zpacks.com/

Whoopies (they have some cool stuff, as well as hammock/tarp suspension systems)
http://shop.whoopieslings.com/

JRB (they've got some cool gear as well)
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/
(http://www.jacksrbetter.com/)
All of these fellas will do custom work have excellent craftsmanship. If you have any more questions feel free to join the dark side over at hammockforums (we have cookies).

Happy Hangin'
Ben

chiefduffy
08-11-2011, 22:32

I toss and turn and sleep on my stomach except when I'm in my hammock. For some reason, I sleep very well on my back and slightly on my side in my Blackbird. I always wake up refreshed in my hammock. I would sleep in it at home, but my wife won't fit in there.

Old Hiker
08-12-2011, 08:57
I live in the South, so, I accept the fact that I am naturally slow. What does YMMV mean?

Do you hangers use a ground cloth for standing on before climbing in? I just got an entry level ENO and have been hanging around the back yard a bit. I like the chair factor!

Your Mileage May Vary.

I used to use my closed-cell pad inside my hammock (see previous post), but this last section hike was so hot, I just laid it on the ground under my hammock. I store my crocs in the outside pockets, so when I get up or get inside, I sit down, take them off or put them on and go from there. It's great, since I'm old enough to REMEMBER my toes, I just can't reach them while sitting on the ground. The hammock helps me get my crocs or boots on/off with ease.