PDA

View Full Version : Chris in Smokies hiking north to Roanoke, Va spotted on Saturday at Pecks Corner

MedicineWoman2012
08-10-2011, 15:28
if there are any other reports or sightings of Chris (Big Guy with dark beard or goatie and dry pack really over loaded in 30's carrying 12 days of supplies) setting himself up for a possible 30 day journey..pls post about his well being or any information allowing family and friends to know he is making it! Thanks!! We hope to hear good knews soon!!!!

Chris from Bmore
08-11-2011, 11:48
I made it to Standing Bear and the folks here are great. I am alive and fine.....well no worse for wear. I've got my pack down to about 50lbs just as I was getting use to the 80lbs I was hauling. I have checked in with the fam and everything is going fine. As soon as I am rested I'm moving on. I think the most difficult part is over, now I am just excited. Thank you so much Angelwing not just for your advice but for the encouragement you and Dman gave me. It has made all the difference in the world. You two are really good folks I am as grateful for meeting you as I am you two met each other, again. Tell Dman "thank for the smokes" I had smoked them all by the time I hit the bunk that night. I am not one to ration my vices. Well, I will keep you updated. I'll get at you soon

Love you guys,
Chris

Ladytrekker
08-11-2011, 12:03
Wow Chris from Baltimore glad everything is so great but wow you should spend some time on WB and get that pack weight down. I personally would not consider a pack over 30 and I think that is too heavy thats with a weeks worth of food; and water is plentiful enough you do not need to carry much at a time. On the up side your on the AT.

MedicineWoman2012
08-15-2011, 22:24
Chris ...keep on climbing and take it one blaze at a time!!!! We just climbed outta Fontana Dam Fri and onto Gregorys Bald then onto Mollies to see Mama Bear and three cubs and lots of doe. We asked each other over and over again how will we ever know if Chris makes it? Dman will be stoked to hear the smokes got ya thru...ha ha!!!! We will be Big Meadows on Sunday 21st..happy trails to ya :o)

MedicineWoman2012
08-15-2011, 22:56
Ladytrekker...ChrisB is very tall guy with a solid extra large framed body.. and first time out for a section hike on AT. I was thrilled to hear that he made the 30lb reduction. Guessing he will get it to 20% of body weight before heading out if it isnt already at that pack weight. I am willing to bet he has reduced his body weight significantly with the miles he has put in thus far along with the drastic lifestyle change that has occured!

Dman ate an entire XL pizza after 37 miles outta fontana dam...ha ha!! Ciggs is such an issue for him if they are not prepared and stored in dry bag way in advance..its almost like water for him but he has reduced those to half since climbing Shuckstack.

Chris from Bmore
08-16-2011, 15:04
Yea I made it to Hot Springs. I had my first hot shower in two weeks. That's funny about Dman eating a whole pizza. He said the hiking was causing him to gain weight, now I see how. Then again you two cover alot of ground. It is great that you have something fun to share. I usually buy smokes when I'm in town and leave them there. If I brought them on the trail I would just huff and puff up hills stopping every 100ft for a smoke. I don't even think about them after the first days and that's only after I get to camp and have supper. Over all I think I'm getting the hang of this. My pack is getting lighter it seams. The only issue now is food. The thought of the freeze dried food is starting to repulse me. I think I'm going to diversify my diet and start exchanging the weight of extra gear with better food. I am also having fun meeting new people and I am getting some good advice from them. I am having the time of my life. I'll get back at you when I get to Erwin, TN.

Happy Trails, Chris from bmore

MedicineWoman2012
08-16-2011, 21:56
Now your talking!!! Trading in heavy crap for better food :o)

Wombat Farm
08-16-2011, 22:24
Great job Chris...sounds like you're gonna leave the trail a healthier and happier man! Excellent! :banana

Ladytrekker
08-16-2011, 22:37
Thats great it sounds like Chris is really enjoying the hike really jealous just sittin here reading and not doing.

MedicineWoman2012
08-16-2011, 22:42
Chris...Dman finally figured out the hypoxia wasnt his imagination...after chain smoking while climbing..and getting the symptoms that were very well pronounced he agreed to smoke only in the valleys or trail towns. I quit policing the ciggs and started giving him feed back on progress he was making when he wasnt smoking. I spent way too much time in a DUKE's hyper and hypobaric chamber testing AMS and DCS therories ..ha ha. Seriously..those experiences in a controlled setting helped me to understand how important it is to maintain hydration and nutrients (glucose) levels while at altitude. We are alot less likely to suffer from AMS or DCS while maintaining hydration and O2 levels (belly breathing with deep breaths..not smoking...etc) also effects how clearly we think or make decisions our lives can depend on at depth or altitude. WOW..I really did learn something while completely being submerged in DAN's diving medic program. I spent way too many days examining mistakes make at depth and at 20k. After losing two very important people in my life one to DCS and another AMS..I am very greatful to be apart of healthy decisions for fellow climbers and student divers :-?