PDA

View Full Version : Little tent broom?

Feral Nature
08-10-2011, 15:58
I have not seen a little tent broom on any of these equipment lists. What do people use on an extended hike to sweep out their tents?

Lyle
08-10-2011, 16:03
The tent stuff sack

Feral Nature
08-10-2011, 16:20
duh I figured it would be an obvious answer, but I am learning here. When camping, I take a broom, but now I will be backpacking and don't want extra stuff.

Hooch
08-10-2011, 16:23
Turn it over and shake it out.

garlic08
08-10-2011, 18:40
I strike the tent every day when I'm hiking so I just shake it out in the morning. I generally just get in once to go to sleep, and I make a habit of removing my shoes before getting in, so it doesn't get that dirty in one night.

Franco
08-10-2011, 18:58
I have a kitchen cloth handy inside my tent. (1/2 oz ?)
That is used to "swipe" the floor as well as to wipe down the walls both inside and outside if required , to speed up drying in the morning.
Sweeping with that cloth is one of the reasons why I "dot" my floors rather than striping them (to minimise mat slippage) .
Easier to clean around the dots than over the stripes.
Franco

Feral Nature
08-10-2011, 19:00
Well, I don't know what dotting and striping means but I guess I better find out!

4eyedbuzzard
08-10-2011, 19:17
Well, I don't know what dotting and striping means but I guess I better find out!

Some hikers apply dots or stripes of RTV silcone sealant to the tent floor to prevent sleeping pads from sliding around.

Franco
08-10-2011, 19:19
If your floor is slippery (typically a silnylon floor) adding some silicone stripes or dots helps in grabbing the mat .
Works better if you "stripe" the mat.
That means painting stripes of silicone on the bottom of the mat .
Like this :
http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhee#p/u/8/WPYPN3CeQCI
Franco

Feral Nature
08-10-2011, 19:23
Well, yall know all kinds of good stuff. Thanks!

Trailbender
08-11-2011, 00:56
I use a tarptent with a separate groundcloth, the tarptent itself doesn't have a floor.

Trailweaver
08-11-2011, 01:03
I turn the tent inside out every two or three days and shake out the dirt, then turn it back, zip the zippers up and pack it in the stuff sack. If the floor gets dirty, take a bandana or pak towel or something and mop it if you want to. I don't like a dirty floor either - grit gets in your sleeping bag. It also helps if you don't bring your boots inside the tent, or if you do, put them just inside the tent door in the same place every time. That way you only have a little corner to clean up.

Ktaadn
08-11-2011, 08:47
I just pick up the tent when it is setup and shake it out. That seems like the easiest thing to me.

Pedaling Fool
08-11-2011, 09:20
I have not seen a little tent broom on any of these equipment lists. What do people use on an extended hike to sweep out their tents?
What tent do you have?

I have a kelty teton 2 and find it easier to just pick it up and shake out (while it is set up with the poles). If I were to sweep I'd need a dustpan of sorts, because the "bathtub" is so high. The other two options would be to take a damp bandana and wipe up the floor or turn the tent inside out and shake, of course I'd have to remove the poles.

Two Speed
08-11-2011, 09:44

Turn it over and shake it out.Too simple. It'll never work. :cool:

leaftye
08-11-2011, 10:58
Tents for extended hiking trips are small enough that they're easy to shake out. I have a broom for my big 4 person tent...and a fly swatter...and cot.

flyingturtle
08-11-2011, 11:05
Turn it inside out...shake it out...then I use a bandanna for those hard to reach corners.

theinfamousj
08-16-2011, 02:43
I turn the tent inside out every two or three days and shake out the dirt, then turn it back, zip the zippers up and pack it in the stuff sack. If the floor gets dirty, take a bandana or pak towel or something and mop it if you want to. I don't like a dirty floor either - grit gets in your sleeping bag. It also helps if you don't bring your boots inside the tent, or if you do, put them just inside the tent door in the same place every time. That way you only have a little corner to clean up.

I do this ^^. I was surprised at how far down the list I had to go until I saw someone say "inside out". I haven't found any method, including a little broom, as effective at removing *everything* from the tent as an inside out flipping. However, unlike Trailweaver, I do it every. single. time. I pack up my tent.

stumpknocker
08-16-2011, 08:29
I carry a small vacuum cleaner with a looooong extension cord. :-)

Nah, just kiddin'....I turn mine inside out when I can't see the floor anymore.

Fiddleback
08-16-2011, 09:07
Small brushes can be found in auto stores and automotive departments of the big box stores. A miracle cloth does a good job too.

FB

wornoutboots
08-16-2011, 09:32
I just pick up the tent when it is setup and shake it out. That seems like the easiest thing to me.

+1 by far the easiest

4eyedbuzzard
08-16-2011, 09:36
+2 on shaking it out. If you really trash the tent somehow, use your shamwow ($1 in the "as seen on TV" section of the store and the best hiking towel and when cut into strips the best sweat bandana ever) and a bit of water to wipe it clean when you get a chance.

birchy
08-16-2011, 09:38
If it is a free standing tent just pick it up, hold it upside down and shake it out

Spokes
08-16-2011, 12:20
Turn it over and shake it out.

Yes! Gravity is my tent broom!

carpediemkath
09-02-2011, 04:19
I actually bring a small bit of Tyvek (usually an 8x10 mailing envelope that I've opened up to double the size) and use it as a door mat. I know it sounds crazy but it really works! It keeps the inside of the tent much cleaner, epecially when you're camping in the mud all the time. It weighs one ounce. It gives me something to kneel on when I'm about to climb into or out of the tent. Also gives a place to stand up in your socks without putting your boots on, if need be (keep it dry in the vestuble). I also use it to sit on when there is nothing but mud, or set items on that I want to keep clean. The tyvek wipes clean and lasts a very long time. It's not for people who count grams but it is a comfort item that I bring every time. Also I do shake my tent out every so often, and wash it thoroughly once I get home. Town stops are a great time to give the tent a thorough clean and dry. Leave the tent brush for the car campers :-)

Rocket Jones
09-02-2011, 05:59
I actually bring a small bit of Tyvek (usually an 8x10 mailing envelope that I've opened up to double the size) and use it as a door mat. I know it sounds crazy but it really works!

I do the same but mine is a small square of plastic sheet. I like the idea of the tyvek envelope, it's easier to see.

Hoop
09-02-2011, 21:11
I have not seen a little tent broom on any of these equipment lists.

Broom not needed for a little tent.