PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

JREDWINE
02-12-2005, 01:39
I am somewhat new to hiking and camping. Me and three friends are looking to take a "beginners" trip for a weekend excursion. I have just a few questions that you experts may be able to help me with.

1. We will be looking to hike in the Smokies, probably arriving in the Gatlinburg area. We are looking for a section that we could do in 2.5 days time. Here are some other requirements we are looking for:

A. Must be able to camp each night, have a campfire, sleep in tents or cowboying.
B. Would like to include some of the more scenic sites this part of the Smokies has to offer.
C. Never mind C, I think that's it!

We will be taking this trip in late may/early june.

Is there some resource or "Map" that might lay one of these weekend type trips out? We do not, however, want to do a guided trip, as the purpose of this trip is to be by ourselves. (No were not gay!:D )

Any help is appreciated. I just don't want this to turn into "Without a Paddle"!:D

SGT Rock
02-12-2005, 07:59
Well, with all this time you should go ahead and write or call the Park Service and get their trail map sent to you because it has all the campsites and their regs listed on it. Some of the most scenic areas are in places that the camping requires you stay in shelters, so what you might plan is a Zig-Zag sort of pattern that allows you to walk on the AT and other cool places while camping off on the side trails where camping in a tent is allowed. It will probably mean more ups and downs.

hikerjohnd
02-12-2005, 08:34
There is a book out called The Best Of the Appalachian Trail: Overnight Hikes by Frank & Victoria Logue. It may have some info for you - your local library should be able to secure a copy through inter-library loan if they do not have one on hand - or check out ABE Books (http://www.abebooks.com) - they have great prices from many used book stores!

Lone Wolf
02-12-2005, 08:38
The best hiking in the Smokys ain't on the AT. Go to Sugarlands Welcome Center for all the info you'll need.

SGT Rock
02-12-2005, 08:40
If you want to mention books for planning, here is my favorite: http://www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/4,5.html

Comes with the park trail map in the back. Use it to plan where you want to go, then just use the map.

9 Mules
02-12-2005, 09:12
1. Big Creek Campground - Walnut Bottoms campsite, then up to the AT and Mt. Cammerer lookout then back to parking lot. The lookout is 1 of 3 east of the Mississippi River.
2. Cosby Campground - Lower Mt. Cammerer trail, up to Mt Cammerer lookout, then AT to Low Gap and back to Cosby.
3. Old Settlers trail - need a shuttle or have 2 cars, most historical trail in the Park.
One car, you'll have to loop or backtrack.
Big Creek is good, you can get back in the woods by yourself.
South end of Park and areas around G-burg will start to get crowded by then.

JREDWINE
02-12-2005, 16:15
Thanks guys! Looks like you all have come thrgough and posted some great resources. I am looking forward to this trip and will post some pics when I am finished!

Thanks again!

chris
02-12-2005, 20:14
9Mules pretty much nailed it, taking three of my favorite, shorter loops in the northern half of the park. Remember that many trails in the Smokys involve a lot of elevation gain and loss. This is especially true if you head E-W, which is going against the grain of the land. AT thruhikers rarely see this, because once on the main ridgeline the trail tends to stay up (with a few minor bounces). So, take the gain into account when planning your hikes. Old Settlers is harder than you might think, but pretty and has a lot of ruins.

In terms of books, the little brown book that the Smokys association puts out is really good, but doesn't give you much in the way of pre-set trips. Rather, it describes each individual trail. I think it is called Hiking Trails of the Great Smoky Mountains, or something like that. For a map, get the National Geographic one.

One trip you might think about that 9Mules didn't mention is:

Start at Big Creek (about an hour from Gburg). Hike up the Baxter Creek trail. This is steep with a lot of gain. Spend the night at camp 38 (make a reservation). The Mount Sterling fire tower is there and it is a great viewpoint. The next day, cut over on Swallow Fork trail and then go up Low Gap to the AT. Make a left and stay at Cosby Shelter, which is one of my favorites. The last day, retrace your steps on the AT and head northbound on it to the Mount Cammerer Fire tower, which is a mustsee. Continue on down the AT and cut over on the Chestnut bottom trail to get back to Big Creek. This isn't a super long trail, but takes in two of my favorite places in the park. You'll need reservations for both sites. You can make them 30 days in advance and they are free. I would call 30 days in advance for sure.

Stuart
02-12-2005, 22:02
If you haven't been out in the GSMNP be aware that you will have to get a permit through which you must designate where you will be camping each night.

Here is a link to an online version of the park's trail map:

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/grsm/ppMaps/ACFA66B%2Epdf

The map takes a few minutes to come down over dialup. The key is in the bottom right hand corner. Note that campsites withi pink numbers are rationed and should be reserved in advance. Campsites with green numbers are not rationed, so no reservation is required (still need backcountry permit). You are required by park regulations to camp only at designated backcountry campsites.

Coming from KY, as I do, it might be more convenient timewise for you to hit the Sugarland area. I'd check in at the Sugarlands Visitor Center to get the permit. You might want to take a look at the Elkmont area which is 7 miles east of there, a quick drive.... Elkmont itself is a very interesting place, worth a read on the parks website.

If you are wanting to hike the AT you'll have to accept the shelters, there just aren't too may tent sites too close to the AT in the area you are looking at.

Stuart
02-12-2005, 22:14
Is there some resource or "Map" that might lay one of these weekend type trips out? We do not, however, want to do a guided trip, as the purpose of this trip is to be by ourselves. (No were not gay!:D )

Who would you be other than yourself? :D :D I know what you're saying, BUT if you haven't been out you could learn a lot from people who have.

The one thing I wanted to add in this extra post is that in early June the flowers along Sugarland Mountain trail are very impressive, like walking in a tunnel of Mtn Laurel and Rhodies.

bigcat2
02-13-2005, 00:02
Though not long hikes by themselves, a couple of spots I love in the park are Mt. LeConte and Mt. Camerer. They are definitly worth the time taken to get to them if you have a chance to swing by them. Mt. LeConte does have a shelter at the top if you do decide to spend the night. When I was there in July of 2004, we woke to 3 deer about 100 ft. from the shelter. It was truely amazing. As I'm sure anyone who has spent a lot of time in GSMNP, anyplace is worth seeing, w/ the obvious exception of the tourist parking lots. :)

wacocelt
02-13-2005, 03:44
No were not gay!

Are you making fun of me? Or are you saying that you weren't gay but are now? Either way, you're going to get it in the end!