PDA

View Full Version : grayson highlands weekend hike

vic_doom69
08-10-2011, 16:16
I am trying to plan a weekend ( 3day, 2 night ) hike in the Grayson highlands area. can't find many maps online so I have a companion and Accuterra maps to go on right now. was thinking of parking at the overnight parking lot and hiking up near Thomas knob shelter area. I remember lots of campsites through here during my thru-hike. then hitting what looks like mount Rodgers trail. then Lewis fork to old orchard shelter area. then back out southbound on a.t. the next day. just looking for advice on someone who knows te area better and may recommend a better trip. looking to do about 25 miles total.

Serial 07
08-10-2011, 16:33
alright, here's what i'd do:

massie gap to AT, to mount rogers spur trail, back to AT, to mount rogers trail, to lewis fork spur trail, to lewis fork trail, to AT (near old orchard shelter), to scales, to first peak trail, to kabel trail, to big wilson creek trail, to upchurch road trail, to wilson trail, to seed orchard road trail, to AT (near wise shelter) and then back towards massie gap...

if my nat geo computer program is somewhat right, that'll be 24 miles...you'll see most of the highlands and the first peak trail will provide you as much seclusion as you'll find out there...plenty of camping and water along this route...plus you'll pass by all three shelters...

Serial 07
08-10-2011, 16:34
two trails i would make sure you get to see are the first peak trail and the wilson trail...the wilson trail has 5 or 6 nice waterfalls and swimming spots...

vic_doom69
08-11-2011, 13:22
thanks for the help serial 07. i was going to order the ntl geo map for the mount rodgers nra. can i assume that map would cover this entire area?

Big Dawg
08-12-2011, 03:21
thanks for the help serial 07. i was going to order the ntl geo map for the mount rodgers nra. can i assume that map would cover this entire area?

yes........

lush242000
08-12-2011, 07:46
I'm jealous. That is a great area to be in.