PDA

View Full Version : Coleman gets into FD Meals....

Wise Old Owl
08-10-2011, 22:10
Coleman without question is an old company that really doesn't cater to backpackers. They have been for years - marketing to the back of car group.... but here they are, Freeze Dried Pro Packs

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=64666

Wombat Farm
08-10-2011, 22:13
certainly looks yummy in the photos...thing is though it's easy enough to make your own - cheaper too!

:cool:

Cuffs
08-10-2011, 22:15
Coleman without question is an old company that really doesn't cater to backpackers. They have been for years - marketing to the back of car group.... but here they are, Freeze Dried Pro Packs

That's been around for over two years now. And its not Coleman, it's a contractual agreement with Enertia Trail Foods labeled for Coleman.

One-8T
08-10-2011, 22:17

I had the Chili last week on a 3 day section and it was quite good. Better than the Mountain House Rice and Beans I must say. Not quite as large a portion, but very tasty.

WingedMonkey
08-10-2011, 22:34
Unless I missed some, I think they are dehydraded, not freeeze dried. Made by Enertia Trail Foods

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?74529-Coleman-Does-Dehydrated-Meals

XCskiNYC
08-10-2011, 22:37
A "max patch mac n cheese." They're targeting the AT demographic

Hooch
08-10-2011, 22:49
A "max patch mac n cheese." They're targeting the AT demographicEnertia had the Max Patch Mac n Cheese long before it was labeled for Coleman. On the plus side, I don't have to order online for it anymore because it's available at Wally World. :banana

Wise Old Owl
08-10-2011, 23:17
That's been around for over two years now. And its not Coleman, it's a contractual agreement with Enertia Trail Foods labeled for Coleman.

Yea Ok - but they only hit the Kmart shelf this spring. They were not on the Coleman website last year because I dug though the Coleman site and it wasn't posted... I did not say it was new, just a heads up.

paistes5
08-11-2011, 20:51
I've tried a couple of the Coleman meals and they're nit bad at all. Same price as Mountain House at my local Wally World. I prefer the Mountain Houses though.

aaronthebugbuffet
08-11-2011, 22:39
Most of the pics look really gross.

Sierra Echo
08-11-2011, 22:41
Enertia had the Max Patch Mac n Cheese long before it was labeled for Coleman. On the plus side, I don't have to order online for it anymore because it's available at Wally World. :banana

Its true. I started at it today. I wonder if the alfredo noodles are any good.

Sierra Echo
08-11-2011, 22:43
Its true. I started at it today. I wonder if the alfredo noodles are any good.

Actually I just stared at it! LMAO im getting sleepy!

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2011, 23:33
Confirmed they are at Walmart.

CaptainNemo
08-12-2011, 00:20
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake! Nom nom nom

Mongoose2
08-12-2011, 20:01
Owl, I have several Coleman (exponent) products (stove, backpack, and hiking poles) and IMHO they do quite well in the backpack department. They really should focus more on the demographic.......but food?? I just don't know.......

Double Wide
08-12-2011, 20:34
I have a kick-ass Coleman backpacking stove--I like it much better than the pocket rocket, so I'm pretty sure they dabble in the backpacker demographic.

I found these same meals at Walmart awhile back and tried a few. The chili is actually pretty damn good, and the lemon/blueberry cheesecake is a favorite with my circle of shelter-mates. I bought a few others, but haven't tried them yet.

lemon b
08-13-2011, 19:05
Like anything use less water then labeled. LOL I'll eat anything on the trail.

Country Roads
08-13-2011, 19:20
I have tried the Cilantro lime rice and beans. I really did not like it. It was not all that hot, but hot was the only "flavor". I was glad to have an extra Cliff Bar.
I tried the Mac and cheese; it was pretty decent.
Since other folks have given the chili a decent nod, I might give it a try. I do like putting my own stuff together though; that way I can cater to my own tastes.

Tuckahoe
08-13-2011, 22:03
A few months back my local Target had Coleman branded foods on sale for $2.50 a pop. Bought a few to try and just wasnt that impressed. And the chili?? Well its not really chili, its a bean soup. Chili is chilies, tomatoes and beef. Anything else is just filler.

Spokes
08-13-2011, 22:19
A "max patch mac n cheese." They're targeting the AT demographic

Never understood why anyone would buy the outrageously priced "freeze dried" mac 'n cheese when you can make it up yourself with a box of good ol' Kraft..........

birchy
08-13-2011, 23:04
Never understood why anyone would buy the outrageously priced "freeze dried" mac 'n cheese when you can make it up yourself with a box of good ol' Kraft..........

YEAH, just add water and GARLIC to dog food

Spokes
08-13-2011, 23:41
YEAH, just add water and GARLIC to dog food

Is that you Jamie Oliver?

Creek Dancer
12-20-2011, 16:55
My boyfriend and I tried a couple of the Coleman dinners. We both thought they were horrible.

daddytwosticks
12-21-2011, 08:32
Just goes to show you...everybody's tastes are different. I tried the Coleman dinner that was tomato sause based. Spiral noodles with sause, spices, etc. I really liked it and it has become one of my favorites. Every time I go to the local Wal-mart to buy these dinners, this flavor always seems to be sold out. :)