PDA

View Full Version : Work for Stay

hikerjohnd
02-12-2005, 08:43
I am by no means opposed to working at a hostel (or anywhere) in exchange for a place to sleep/eat. I am curious about what kind of work they have you do. With so many hikers, how many jobs can their be? So, what is a typical (or is there a typical) work for stay job like?:confused:

Lone Wolf
02-12-2005, 09:19
A lot of hostels don't offer work for stay anymore. Too many bums on the trail just going town to town raiding hiker boxes. If you can't afford the few bucks for a stay then one should stay in the woods. It's funny how a lot of hikers want to do work for stay but they always have cash for beer and cigarettes.

The Old Fhart
02-12-2005, 09:46
Good point, Wolf. I did only one work for stay and that was at Lakes of the Clouds. I had got trail magic from the RAT patrol at Brown's Gap but gave them a donation to help support their fine work. I gave the full suggested donation at Graymoor, etc. I believe it is the right thing to do for the folks that help support hikers.

flyfisher
02-12-2005, 10:19
I am by no means opposed to working at a hostel (or anywhere) in exchange for a place to sleep/eat. I am curious about what kind of work they have you do. With so many hikers, how many jobs can their be? So, what is a typical (or is there a typical) work for stay job like?:confused:

I'd gladly do work for stay at the AMC's huts in the Whites. $70 a night is a lot for a hostel. For $15 a night hostels, I'd rather encourage them by paying and then do some work around the place.

I plan on about $75-$100 a month (5 nights) in hostels, the cost seems much less than the convenience.

BTW, some of the best trail stories come out of hostels.

Footslogger
02-12-2005, 10:55
I got work for stay at 2 of the huts in White's during my 2003 thru-hike.

The actual work ended up being general cleanup of the hut, washing dishes/pots and pans. In one case (at Zealand Hut) the crew asked if I would pull down everything off the shelves in the kitchen area and wipe up all the spills of food that had accumulated over the season. None of the projects took over an hour or so and to me at least, that was worth a shower, a bunk and a warm meal. Another thing I got at Zealand Hut was a face on encounter with a huge ...no massive bull moose early in the morning. That alone was worth having worked to stay at the hut.

'Slogger
AT 2003

wacocelt
02-12-2005, 11:01
It's funny how a lot of hikers want to do work for stay but they always have cash for beer and cigarettes.

Preach that gospel Wolf!

I did work for stay at The Pie Lady's house in 00', I mowed her front and backyard then split wood for 4 hours. She had called me in after 2 hours, but she had mentioned before I started that the last few people that had WFS'ed wouldn't chop wood so I figured it needed done.

That evening she cooked me enough food to choke a donkey and drove to God knows where and bought me 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Breakfast was damned amazing as well.

If you're going to do work for stay then be sure to do a little more than asked. Most of these folks run thier hostels with alot of kindness and very little profit.

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2005, 12:59
John:

Different places have different jobs. In the AMC cabins (called "Huts"), you'l usually be sweeping up, cleaning bathrooms, folding blankets, making beds. In some places they might have you help with dishes; in others, you might split wood, clean windows, police up the grounds, etc. They'll generally keep you busy for one to two hours.

In other places, such as hiker hostels, you'll be doing similar things, or maybe helping with laundry or yard work. On occasion, there might be a "special" job that requires certain skills, such as light carpentry, painting, etc.

A few quick comments: A lot of places don't offer work-for-stays much anymore as they got totally screwed over and taken advantage of by lazy-ass hikers. So if you're lucky enough to get a work for stay, make sure you actually do the work, i.e. don't stand around smoking or talking with other hikers. Actually do the job, and do it well. And be prepared to work for two hours. Some hikers seem to think that sweeping one floor and folding one dryer load of towewls entitles them to an overnight stay that is worth seventeen bucks. WRONG! And also, just cuz the trail guide says something like "Work stays available" don't take it for granted that this is always the case.....maybe when you get there, there's no work that needs doing. Or maybe they've given out work to two or three folks already. Or maybe the last three hikers before you screwed outta doing the work so they've stopped giving out work stays for awhile. So never take for granted that you're going to get a work-for-stay, because there won't always be one available. If there is, great: Do the job, and save yourself a few bucks. But like Lone Wolf says, if you elect to stay at a place that charges money, then be prepared to pay it. (And speaking of which, "Donations Accepted" hostels are NOT free, it means just what is says: They accept donations, so everyone should make one. If you're able to, give extra, to make up for the cheap bastards that don't give anything. Quite a few places with donation boxes are thinking of closing their doors because so many hikers shaft them, so this is kind of important).

And lastly, this is important, too: If you accept a "specialized" work project, make sure you know what the hell you're doing BEFORE starting work: Don't pretend you're a carpenter or stonemason. Last year, a well-meaning hiker totally screwed up Miss Janet's bathroom because he wasn't the plumber he thought he was; likewise, don't volunteer to use tools you're not trained on: I've seen some very scary stuff involving hikers and chain saws. Likewise, be safe: Keep your mind on your work. A fall off a ladder or roof can end your trip, so don't let your desire to save a few dollars lead you to do anything foolish or dangerous.