PDA

View Full Version : Caledonia St Park to Harpers Ferry

mushroom
08-11-2011, 10:40
Hi all! I am looking to do my second section of the AT. I would like to start at Caledonia St Park and go sobo to Harpers Ferry. Just a few questions: Do I need to get a permit to hike that section? How is the water? Finally can it be done in 4 nights/5 days? Thanks in advance!

tdoczi
08-11-2011, 12:37
at the risk of having 25 people tell me i don't smell the roses or some other nonsense i'll say i did harpers ferry nobo to caledonia in 3 days. frankly i'd be bored trying to stretch it to 5 but your question is can it be done and the answer is yes. easily. and no, no permits, though camping in MD is restricted to only designated areas.

WingedMonkey
08-11-2011, 13:06
How was your last section hike in terms of miles per day? Did you do the Fontana to Clingman you had planned? The section you are looking at now is less rugged, bit rocky on the stretch in Maryland but nothing to slow you.

harryfred
08-11-2011, 17:00
Very doable. Water should not be a problem there are three spigots in that section and several strong springs as well as a few streams. I have done Caledonia to Penn Marr as an ovenighter with short days. I usually do Penn Marr to Harpers Ferry in four days three nights short days for the first and last. Last time I did it in three days two nights.

KingKrawler
08-11-2011, 20:08
I just completed the same section in June in 4 days - the first trip I've done since my thru last year. Five days is plenty. Water was not a problem, climbs are short and the trail condition was great. There are several sections that you can really move out.

Its a great section - enjoy yourself!

mushroom
08-12-2011, 07:27
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Is there a better starting point than the park? Also we did complete Clingmans to Fontana. Short day the first day then 8 to 10 miles the rest of the way. Where is Penn Marr? Thanks again!

birchy
08-12-2011, 08:23
A hiker known as (NO NAME) from here at WB parked at my hostel and I drove him to Boiling Springs on Tuesday. He hiked SOBO and will be in Harper's Ferry on Monday morning, so that is 5 nights / 6 days. Calidonia to HV is very doable in the apparent time frame. If you want to stretch that out a bit you can park here at my Hostel, 10 miles further North of Calidonia, and I will pick you up in Harper's Ferry and return you to your car here. If you are interested call me at 717 352 4686 or my cell# at 717 357 4142 ask for Keith or BIRCHY....

OldFeet
08-12-2011, 08:51
I did this NOBO a few years ago in late July. You can easily cover this in the 4 night/5 day time frame without any problem. Don't have any recent info on the water situtation though. The year I hiked in July the only shelter that had a dry spring was Deer Lick but if you're SOBO you can stay at Antietam and there's a spigot just before the shelter.

mushroom
08-14-2011, 20:10
Birchy thanks for the info. Once we get the details worked out I will give you a call!

Jefe
08-14-2011, 20:48
Hey Birchy,

Is your Hostel the one off of Shippensburg Rd? I am planning a Section myself at the end of Sept and right now my plan is to park in HF and hike north for a few days then turn around. What I would like to do is maybe keep going north to your Hostel and get a ride back to HF. Is that something you could do? And if so, what is the cost?
Thanks,
Jefe

birchy
08-15-2011, 05:51
JEFE, check your PM's