PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers H2O -- current conditions?

sloetoe
08-11-2011, 11:38
Hey all!
Thinking about heading out to Mt. Rogers in a week or so, and having never been there this time of year, AND Indiana's having had a bit of a drought July after a wet June -- leaves me wondering what water will be like on Mt. Rogers -- and maybe in particular, Thomas Knob Sh.
so: "FLowing" "Dripping" or "Gone"

Any help?

'toe

The Snowman
08-12-2011, 13:14
it was wet a couple of weeks ago

Papa D
08-13-2011, 19:14
I was at Thomas Knob Shelter a few weeks ago - plenty of water - cool, rainy, pony tried to get into the shelter - not sure how the water will be right below the shelter but it was fine then. - I guess you might consider getting some on the way up - you NOBO? - Papa D

topshelf
08-14-2011, 12:24
good deal of rain lately, should be great, should pour again today too

SawnieRobertson
08-14-2011, 13:16
When will you be here, Sloetoe? Last night we had a terrific storm--lots of rain, branches on the ground, electricity off. I think you will be able to locate water.--Kinnickinic

sloetoe
08-16-2011, 11:33
When will you be here, Sloetoe? Last night we had a terrific storm--lots of rain, branches on the ground, electricity off. I think you will be able to locate water.--Kinnickinic

Thank you all for the informative answers.

There is a question, Kinnickinic, as to whether we will actually hit Mt. Rogers now or not. The Party Of Two will be yours truly, and a rank neophyte -- and I wouldn't relish the idea of putting *myself* into 3-4 days of rain, let alone someone at the very formative stages of what I HOPE will be a lifetime of foot travel. So, we're looking at the Smokys (looks like the same THurs-Sunday weather -- not out of that system yet), and now, the north shore of Lake Superior (farther by 40% -- yuk.).......

Questions questions questions.

Actually, I could think of worse things than, say, bopping into Davenport Gap shelter, throwing an Ace bandage on an ankle and saying, "Whoops! Guess we're stuck here!"......

Or maybe Thomas Knob!
Hmmmmm.