PDA

View Full Version : Ham radio on the AT

colonel r
08-11-2011, 12:43
Just received my license last week. During my class the instructor said there was a specific frequency monitored for thru hikers on the AT.
I have never considered using a radio on the trail. Is it worth it? Are there any advantages? What type radio would use and would it be worth the weight?

Rick

trippclark
08-11-2011, 13:22
Just received my license last week. During my class the instructor said there was a specific frequency monitored for thru hikers on the AT.
I have never considered using a radio on the trail. Is it worth it? Are there any advantages? What type radio would use and would it be worth the weight?

Rick

I am currently reading the book "Three Hundred Zeros" by Dennis Blanchard. He built and carried a radio with him and writes about it often in the book. You might want to read the book and/or contact Dennis Blanchard.

Printed book:
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Hundred-Zeroes-Lessons-Appalachian/dp/1450557465/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313083216&sr=8-1

Kindle version:
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Hundred-Zeroes-ebook/dp/B003NX6YOW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313083216&sr=8-2

Funkmeister
08-11-2011, 14:20
Congratulations on your license.

I used to carry my 2 meter handheld rig, but quit after not using it for several trips. Carry one, and find out for yourself if it's worth the effort. I mostly tuned in NOAA broadcasts for weather reports in the morning.

Not sure there is a frequency that is monitored specifically for AT users; I'd use 146.52mhz--the usual simplex freq. I also suggest that you might carry a j-pole made from 300 ohm twinlead. It weighs a few grams and gets you out much better than the usual antenna.

I also carried a radio that used AA batteries, figuring that replacements were available in towns if necessary. I used lithium cells.

In the end, it was not worth it to me.

Mick, N1NFG

colonel r
08-11-2011, 15:02
He has two YouTube videos I just found. Haven't watched all of them yet.

Rick

colonel r
08-11-2011, 15:06
I grew up just a few miles NE of you in Dillon. Looks from your age I had already left before you were born. There were too many mosquitoes and yellow flies.

vamelungeon
08-11-2011, 17:52
I'm not aware of any specific frequency for the AT either. As 2m radios get smaller and lighter they are an option but small homebrew or kit QRP rigs would likely be the best choice in terms of weight. I have talked to AT hikers from my QTH on 2m. The altitudes at some of the peaks give some exceptional line-of-sight oppurtunities. I've not thru hiked yet, and I no longer carry any sort of transceiver on hikes. That might change if I were to purchase a newer and lighter HT. I've never been satisfied with my code abilities enough to want to carrry a QRP rig. BTW my call is N4AUD.