PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag in VA

smokedog
02-12-2005, 09:53
I will be hiking from Pearisburg to Harpers Ferry in May. I know everyone has different cold tolerence, but generally speaking do you think a 45 degree bag with liner will be sufficent?

Footslogger
02-12-2005, 11:09
I will be hiking from Pearisburg to Harpers Ferry in May. I know everyone has different cold tolerence, but generally speaking do you think a 45 degree bag with liner will be sufficent?=============================
For what my experience is worth ...I think you'll be fine. I cut over to my warmer weather gear/clothing in Pearsiburg (June) during my thru-hike in 2003. My sleeping bag at that point was the "Travel Sack" from REI, which they rate at 50 degrees. Now, every year is different but with the exception of a few nights I was fine. I do tend to be a relatively warm sleeper.

'Slogger
AT 2003

chris
02-12-2005, 20:15
If it is an honest 40 or 45 degrees, then yes. However, the Kelty and Marmot bags are not honest and I saw plenty of hikers shivering in them this previous May. I was warm in my Western Mountaineering Highlight, which is an honest 40 degrees.

If you already have the bag, keep it. Bring a set of thermals and plan to sleep in them some nights. You should be fine.

neo
02-12-2005, 20:54
i hiked from delaware water gap to dalton mass,late may 2004 50 degree
bag and a very light liner,i was fine.coldest night was 42 degrees at shanondoha tent site,i would say you will be ok :sun neo

Frosty
02-12-2005, 22:00
If it is an honest 40 or 45 degrees, then yes. However, the Kelty and Marmot bags are not honest and I saw plenty of hikers shivering in them this previous May. I was warm in my Western Mountaineering Highlight, which is an honest 40 degrees.

If you already have the bag, keep it. Bring a set of thermals and plan to sleep in them some nights. You should be fine.i can validate the kelty part, as i spent a horribly cold 45 degree night in a 45 degree kelty last april.

is there any way to determine 'honest' ratings

chris
02-12-2005, 22:11
is there any way to determine 'honest' ratings

Nope. The best way I know of is to assume that the rating is wrong unless there is a large consensus that it is right. I only know of two companies that everyone (or, rather, most people) seem to think have good ratings: Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends. If anything, these companies are conservative in their ratings.

If you don't want to spend the money for a bag from WM or FF (and they are expensive), assume that the company's rating of, say, 30 degrees means that with thermals and a hat you will sleep comfortably down to 30 dergees.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-13-2005, 09:40
Where are you planning on sleeping? Tent, Tarp, Hammock, Shelter (ugh)? The wx can be very changeable all through VA in May. 3 -4 yrs ago in SNP in June the high for a 4 day period was 55 with lots of fog, that didn't burn off till 10-11 am. The fog seemed to just suck the warmth out of my rotten-no good $#%%^^^EMS PLL 20 bag. We were using a borrowed Walrus Trekker Tarp and mesh insert, and it was foggy inside too. The whole trip turned out to be a "Character Builder".

Moose2001
02-13-2005, 09:59
Chris - I REALLY have to disagree with your ratings of both Marmot and Kelty bags. For my 2003 hike I used a Marmot Sawtooth 20 degree and a Kelty Lightyear 45 degree (down) bag. I don't know which bags you are referring to but in my opinion, both of my bags are very accurately rated. I'm a cold sleeper by nature. The Marmot always kept me warm at temps in the 20 degree range. In fact, I'd say Marmot's rating is too conservative on the bag. The Kelty also perfomed well at temps in the 40's and 50's. I highly recommend both bags.

chris
02-13-2005, 14:20
Chris - I REALLY have to disagree with your ratings of both Marmot and Kelty bags. For my 2003 hike I used a Marmot Sawtooth 20 degree and a Kelty Lightyear 45 degree (down) bag... I highly recommend both bags.

I'm refering to the Arroyo, a 30 degree bag that is more like a 40, and the Marmot $99 bag that was popular along the AT last year. I don't know the model. Similarly with the Kelty (saw it in use, didn't bother with the name). The Arroyo, additionally, lost its down over the process of about 30 nights use. They did restuff it for free and added so much more down that it did become a 30 degree bag. It also weighed 3 lbs at that point. I bought a WM Ultralight and never looked back.

This is an illustration of my point. Temp. ratings are very subjective. However, the only company's that seem to be free of subjective ratings, that I've come across, are WM and FF.

smokedog
02-13-2005, 15:15
My 45 degree bag is a Sierra Designs summer weight. There is no hood and no insulation on the bottom. I use a Big Agnes uninsulated air mattress. I will also carry a ThermaLite bag liner that is suppose to add 15 degrees of warmth. I usually sleep in shelters. Think I'll take the advise of Chris and carry a set of silk long underwear.