PDA

View Full Version : Sad article out of Maine from the Bangor Daily News

longroad853
08-12-2011, 22:38
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/08/12/news/portland/hiker-dies-after-falling-hitting-head-on-appalachian-trail-wardens-say/

4thandgoal
08-12-2011, 23:06
That sucks. Must be hard on the folks that found him too.

Double Wide
08-13-2011, 09:11
Wow. I've heard of lots of people falling and hurting themselves pretty badly on the trail, but never actually getting killed. That's awful. It might be comforting to his loved ones to know that at least he died doing something he loved.

DLANOIE
08-13-2011, 09:20
Thats too bad. Sorry for his families loss.:(

chiefdaddy
08-13-2011, 10:05
It's the MOI(Mechanism of injury). a fall from standing position with the head hitting a rock can and has killed people in the past. A long fall is for sure not good.

earlyriser26
08-13-2011, 10:07
Very sad to hear this news. That is one of the easier parts of Maine, but if you fall wrong walking down a sidewalk you can hit your head too.

4eyedbuzzard
08-13-2011, 11:24
Sad. Just out enjoying himself and . . .

Not saying it is the cause here, as this accident appears to have happened in the morning and there is no additional info, but . . .

Most falls I've seen, heard about, or taken myself, seem to happen on the downhills and/or when hikers are hurrying and/or tired and perhaps trying to hike too fast for the given terrain. The variables are always out there with water lubricating everything, roots, rocks, mud, scree, etc. But as the day goes on, and as you get more tired, you also don't lift your feet and legs the same way (the old toe stub trip) as when you are fresh, and your legs / feet don't compensate as well when you first begin to slip. And, of course, it's always easier to fall downhill due to the forces and angles involved.

Maybe it's advancing age, but I notice that I am A LOT more aware of the terrain and much more particular / cautious about foot placement than I was when I was 20 something. Leads to somewhat slower hiking, but I like getting there in one piece.

bobqzzi
08-13-2011, 12:00
RIP. Very sad, and scary. I can't help but wonder if the fall is the real cause of death. I wouldn't be surprised if it was found to be a heart attack.

BigHodag
08-14-2011, 10:41
There was another incident in that same stretch of trail earlier this month.

Douglas Doane, 52, of Atlantic Beach, Fla., suffered a possible broken shoulder on the Appalachian Trail, roughly 1 mile south of Avery Peak in the Bigelow Range in Dead River Township...
http://www.sunjournal.com/franklin/story/1068342
(http://www.sunjournal.com/franklin/story/1068342)
I initially thought the two incidents might have been the same hiker, but it doesn't seem the case. I've heard Maine is tough.

Sly
08-14-2011, 11:33
It's the MOI(Mechanism of injury). a fall from standing position with the head hitting a rock can and has killed people in the past. A long fall is for sure not good.

One day I remember tripping on a root and stumbling uncontrollably forward almost at trot head first towards an immovable boulder. Fortunately, I was able to veer off right before I would have hit.

It can be over in a blink.

burger
08-14-2011, 15:49
This just shows what a terribly constructed piece of **** the AT is in New England. The ups and downs are ridiculously steep and especially unsafe given how wet the area is. On top of that, those steep trails create a lot of erosion and encourage hikers to widen the trail in order to find good footholds or vegetation to grab onto while going up or down.

I'm not saying that the entire AT should be paved or gently switchbacks, but there are many stretches that could be improved with steps, rebar, etc. without having to reroute the trail.

hikerboy57
08-14-2011, 15:58
This just shows what a terribly constructed piece of **** the AT is in New England. The ups and downs are ridiculously steep and especially unsafe given how wet the area is. On top of that, those steep trails create a lot of erosion and encourage hikers to widen the trail in order to find good footholds or vegetation to grab onto while going up or down.

I'm not saying that the entire AT should be paved or gently switchbacks, but there are many stretches that could be improved with steps, rebar, etc. without having to reroute the trail.
So when are you starting construction?
Ive hiked the whites for years, and frankly enjoy the difficulty. did the mahoosucs last year and loved it. and I think the AMC does a terrific job of maintaining the trails.
But seriously, who would pay for your project, and who would do the work? should the AT be wheelchair accessible as well?

burger
08-14-2011, 16:13
So when are you starting construction?
Ive hiked the whites for years, and frankly enjoy the difficulty. did the mahoosucs last year and loved it. and I think the AMC does a terrific job of maintaining the trails.
But seriously, who would pay for your project, and who would do the work? should the AT be wheelchair accessible as well?
If the ATC announced tomorrow a program to refurbish poorly constructed, eroded, and dangerous stretches in Maine, I would donate $$ in the 4 figures tomorrow (and that's a LOT of money for me). I live too far away to do trail work and I don't own a car, but I'd help financially wherever I can.

As for your wheelchair comment, read my original post.

Kermitt
08-14-2011, 16:18
Not all trails are maintain has well. I hiked Eliza brook shelter to Kingsmaon Notch Rt.112, this trail need some magor work done on many parts of it.

hikerboy57
08-14-2011, 16:23
If the ATC announced tomorrow a program to refurbish poorly constructed, eroded, and dangerous stretches in Maine, I would donate $$ in the 4 figures tomorrow (and that's a LOT of money for me). I live too far away to do trail work and I don't own a car, but I'd help financially wherever I can.

As for your wheelchair comment, read my original post.
Im sorry, burger, I just get excited when someone waits for someone else to take action.But I do enjoy the difficulty.
I agree, there are plenty of spots that are dangerous when dry, and worse when wet.I just accept the risk, and I like to challenge myself.whoever thought of routing the trail through Mahoosuc notch and up the Arm has to be related to Marquis de sade, so some of this difficulty is I beleive intentional.
But you could qwrite the MATC and get their views on proposed changes and modifications.

WalkinHome
08-14-2011, 17:36

How sensitive of you to hijack this thread.

bobqzzi
08-14-2011, 18:45

Are you joking?

Lone Wolf
08-14-2011, 20:06

I'm not saying that the entire AT should be paved or gently switchbacks, but there are many stretches that could be improved with steps, rebar, etc. without having to reroute the trail.dude. this guy coula had a heart attack and died standing up or an aneurism and then fallen and hit his head. nobody knows yet. you're an ass

weary
08-15-2011, 17:06

Rebuilding a trail is expensive. MATC spends thousands of dollars of donated money every year building steps, adding rebar, etc. We'll welcome your check. Make it big. It takes a lot of bucks to just install just one rock step.

4eyedbuzzard
08-15-2011, 17:45

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.

The trail in VT and NH is routed over trails that were in existence long before the AT was ever even thought of, and are still maintained by the many hiking and outing clubs in New England. If people don't like our trails or find them too dangerous, too steep, etc, perhaps they should choose to hike in less rugged terrain. Oh, and do you know why?

Because there's no crying in hiking. THERE'S NO CRYING IN HIKING! No crying! :D

Feral Nature
08-15-2011, 18:23
Because there's no crying in hiking. THERE'S NO CRYING IN HIKING! No crying! :D

Too funny!

WingedMonkey
08-15-2011, 18:35
AUGUSTA, Maine — State police say an autopsy has failed to determine how a hiker from Long Island, N.Y., died on the Appalachian Trail in Maine.

State police said Monday they're investigating the case of 51-year-old Michael Guerette of Cherry Grove, N.Y., as an unexplained death for the time being. The medical examiner's office will conduct additional studies before reaching a determination on the cause of death.
Maine Public Safety Department spokesman Steve McCausland says Guerette had been hiking alone for two weeks on a portion of the Appalachian Trail in Maine.
Wardens initially said it appeared that Guerette fell and hit his head. His body was found Friday in Carrying Place Township in Somerset County.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP6e65c31affa0446384ce882f9e130a6c.html

weary
08-15-2011, 19:21
The preliminary autopsy results suggest that falling had nothing to do with the death. Studies are continuing, according to Maine public radio at 5:30 pm today.

bobqzzi
08-15-2011, 20:32
The preliminary autopsy results suggest that falling had nothing to do with the death. Studies are continuing, according to Maine public radio at 5:30 pm today.

That's reassuring; thanks for the update

zombiegrad
08-15-2011, 21:23
Anybody know his trail name?

Nutbrown
08-22-2011, 09:31
That is so sad. But if it is a natural death, that is how I want to go.

Six-Six
08-22-2011, 09:55
OSHA wouldn't allow the trail to be built today. Life is dangerous - live while you can.

weary
08-22-2011, 13:54
OSHA wouldn't allow the trail to be built today. Life is dangerous - live while you can.
OSHA regulations improve the safety of workers, not the results of that work. Nor was the trail construction a one-time event. It's been continuing now for around 80 years or more. Dozens of people work on the trail every year under rules set by OSHA.

Finally it's still unclear whether the safety of the trail has anything to do with the death. It is clear that OSHA doesn't regulate what's built, only the work conditions of those employed in the building.

restless
08-22-2011, 17:55
OSHA does allow the trail to be built, and it guides the personal safety equipment that trail maintainers should use. Different tasks have different risks-chainsaw use has a much higher degree of risk than trimming back vegetation. People performing trail work DO get injured, however safety conscious they are. Recently, we had an member of a trail crew here break a wrist while working with rock. People get cuts, crushed and broken fingers and other extremities. In 15 years of trail work, though, I have not had one serious injury with any crew member. Everyone performing trail work MUST keep safety first and foremost in mind. It is each persons responsibility to be safe, not some government organizations job to make it safe.