PDA

View Full Version : Washing TYVEK

Frosty
02-12-2005, 13:09
I've heard that you can wash TYVEK. Mine is a little grungy but am not sure how to wash it.

Just plain water? Or detergent? Any clothes detergent or something special? Washing machine or by hand?

I'd really like to hear from someone who actually washed TYVEK and what their results were.

Thanks

prozac
02-12-2005, 13:19
I just threw mine in the washer when it was new so I didn't use soap but I don't see how laundry detergent could hurt it. I drip dried it and wouldn't reccomend using a dryer as high heat may shrink it. After washing I found it to still be waterproof but had softened up alot. Go for it.

willyhort0w2
02-12-2005, 13:21
I just throw my tyvek groundcloth in the washer with a little bleach and never had a problem. I also wash new pieces of tyvek prior to use and it gets rid of the stiffness but maintains it's waterproofness.

willyhort0w2
02-12-2005, 13:22
I also agree with prozak with not putting it in the dryer

Frosty
02-12-2005, 13:44
Thanks all

Footslogger
02-12-2005, 13:51
I've heard that you can wash TYVEK. Mine is a little grungy but am not sure how to wash it.
Just plain water? Or detergent? Any clothes detergent or something special? Washing machine or by hand?
I'd really like to hear from someone who actually washed TYVEK and what their results were.
Thanks======================================
I washed mine before leaving on my thru-hike in 2003. Used warm water on short cycle and no detergent. I let it air dry. The Tyvek was new and clean at that point but my purpose was to soften the fabric which cuts down on the crinkling type noise it makes when handled. Worked like a charm and did not appear to have lost any of it's waterproof characteristics. Tyvek was soft and folded easily.

Never did wash it again during my hike and afterwards I discarded that piece. Figured I had gotten my use out of it after 2000+ miles.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Frosty
02-12-2005, 15:46
It worked.

Warm water, not detergent. delicate cycle.

TYVEK came out clean, but only part was fairly soft. About half still crinkled.

Ran it throukgh another rinse with faster agitation (slow rather than delicate)

This time it came out much softer.

It's air drying now.

I'm doing a shakedown hike tomorrow and will set up my Squall tarptent for the first time. The piece of TYVEK I have is larger than I need, so I'll cut it down to size with the tent up.

neo
02-13-2005, 01:32
i always wash new tyvek before use,warm water no detergent,its more pliable
after washing it a couple times:sun neo

hikerjohnd
02-13-2005, 22:31
.... have wisdom beyond your ears! Just pulled my tyvek out of the washer, shook it in the yard and it is hanging in the shower to dry! Infinitely more quiet, I know I could fold it more easily! Who whould have thunk it! :banana:banana

mattydt20
08-18-2005, 19:24
Does it matter if you wash the tyvek in a front loader or a top loader?

Footslogger
08-18-2005, 20:23
Not sure ...but I doubt it. I washed mine in a top loader.

Since then though I managed to score some of the Tyvek material used to make kites. Half the weight of Tyvek homewrap and already cottony soft !!

'Slogger

HikerHobo
08-18-2005, 21:31
all about tyvek !

http://www.tyvek.com/

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-18-2005, 22:07
Information about "Soft Structure Tyvek (http://www.materialconcepts.com/cgi-bin/dbsql/db.cgi?db=Products&do=search_results&detail=yes&ProductNumber=00002&ProductNumber-opt==)"

Moon Monster
08-20-2005, 02:14
You can buy the softer kite-grade Tyvek here:
http://www.intothewind.org/shop/Repair_and_Kitemaking/Fabric/Tyvek

I bought from this company and used my piece on my thru-hike. It was always softer than others' pieces that were the constuction grade. Realize, though, that it will not lay as flat and will wrinkle more than the construction grade. So, buy a big piece and cut it a bit bigger than you wish it's eventual footprint to be.

The wrinkling, which is to say effectual shrinking, can also happen when you wash the construction grade Tyvek. I currently use a piece from a home construction site. I washed it and lost an inch or more of usable surface area from each side. So, cut it larger than you want.

Washing helps to make the stuff quieter, too, when you unroll it. I also washed mine without detergent and on the delicate cycle.

Footslogger
08-20-2005, 10:12
[QUOTE=Moon Monster]You can buy the softer kite-grade Tyvek here:
http://www.intothewind.org/shop/Repair_and_Kitemaking/Fabric/Tyvek

==========================================
Same place I got mine. Fast delivery. Haven't had any significant problems with shrinkage or wrinkles (any more than with the "house wrap" version).

'Slogger