PDA

View Full Version : To friends of Dragonslayer!!!

dwindham
02-12-2005, 13:56
This is difficult to begin, but here goes. On Thursday Feb. 10th Dragonslayer was caught in a terrible car accident on her move to Augusta, GA. The Dr.s are now confident that she is going to pull through but there were times of question. She is currently in ICU and is scheduled for surgery on Mon. If there is anyone who knows her from her 2004 thru hike and would like to send they're regards to her family just drop me some mail.

Earth Artist '02

Toolshed
02-12-2005, 15:53
I think I met Dragonslayer this summer in PA - I was section hiking and NOBO heading through those wonderful fields just south of Boiling Springs on an incredible sunny day. I was sweaing and getting tired as I looked up the hill and blinked twice -
I saw a beautiful Blond woman with a bikina top on, wearing shorts and carrying nothing but a nalgene bottle. I gulped a couple of time and blinked again - Surely my eyes play tricks on me. She kept walking towards me - I felt like I was seeing an angel - as we passed I said something like ""You must be a mirage" - She smiled and said "hi" as we passed.

A moment later - her hiking friend came over the hill, We stopped for a second and I said "Wow, nothing like passing a beautiful woman on a beautiful day." Turned out, I think it was his girlfriend, anyway they were slackpacking and taking a SOBO day.

If this Is the same Dragonslayer, I doubt she will remember passing me, but please relay my prayers to her.
Thanks
Toolshed.

The Old Fhart
02-12-2005, 16:41
I met Dragonslayer south of Waynesboro. At a shelter, where a bunch of us had stopped to eat, I asked her how she got her trail name. She told me it was from fighting with her stove, a Dragonfly. As we discussed this, she was borrowing another hiker's soda can stove because her stove had clogged. I commented that it looked like the dragon was winning which amused her. I wish her well.

LWOP
02-12-2005, 19:15
Yes that pretty blonde you passed on the trail was probably Dragon Slayer. I met her my second or third day out of Springer and we met many times along the way to Katahdin. She could brighten a gloomy day with that smile of hers. And nobody - man or woman - can hit a soda can further then her. Up for a little one on one basketball - you may want to play an NBA player before taking her on. I couldn't keep up with her on the trail.
My prayers are with her and her family.
Lwop

wacocelt
02-12-2005, 20:15
Dragon Slayer.... such an unusual name for such a pretty girl! She stayed with me for a little while on her thruhike last year with a great group of hikers. Please tell her we will all be pulling for her! Please keep us informed if you will. Email me privately if you want to at

themissjanet @ Earthlink.net

wacocelt
02-12-2005, 20:17
There I go posting on someone elses account again!! That last post was from Miss Janet in Erwin.

Longshot
02-25-2005, 19:07
I hiked with Dragon Slayer and her friend Wicked Lobster. She is a wonderful girl. I am very saddened to hear of her accident and pray that she comes out of it quickly. Please E-mail me at [email protected] and keep me informed of her recovery.

Smile
02-25-2005, 23:49
Spent the night last year at Greylock (Bascom lodge) with Wicked Lobstah and Dragonslayer, a cold wet rainy night, but a nice one to hang out around the fire. I wish her well and hope she heals quickly, she's a great gal!

-MYST-
02-26-2005, 07:41
Please wish her well for me too. I met her last year at Hiker's Hostel in Glencliff, N.H. Lots of spirit in that girl.

"Myst"
the Adventure Continues.....

Trail Dog
03-03-2005, 19:20
so whats the latest with dragon slayer? my girlfriend and hi met her down in georgia and the smokies. Hope she is doing fine.

Dharma
03-03-2005, 19:42
This info is from the 27th or 28th and is best as I can remember.

DS is starting to move around and beginning physical therapy. Her mom says she is still weak and needs to focus her energies on her recovery. Her appetite is improving though she is still underweight.

Initially there did not seem to be any kind of brain injury, but now the neurologist says she has suffered some reduction in higher brain function and processing ability. It is unknown if this is temporary or permanent.
[I believe "higher brain function" is refering to the "Executive brain"]

Sarah's parents were meeting with a special rehab center on 3/1 to see if they could get her in.

Her parents said they thank everyone for the cards and well wishes and asks everyone to continue to pray for Sarah.

Dharma
03-11-2005, 18:48
I received this from Wildcat today:

(I removed the email addys so they wont get spammed.)

From Slayer's brother:
As you might know, Sarah was in a serious car accident a month ago
(Feb. 10). She's been through 5 or 6 operations since and is still in
a hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. With a laceration that extends from
the middle of her forehead to behind her left ear and numerous skull
fractures, we're very happy to see her mind is perfectly intact. Most
of her discomfort now comes from the atrophy of her muscles (after
laying in bed for 3 weeks) and a large amount of metal work in her
face and mouth. This Monday she was moved to a rehabilitation
hospital called "Shepherd" to help jump start her return to normal
life. It's going to be a long haul back to a full recovery, but
luckily she's got a strong body and an even stronger will. Feel free
to contact me with any questions, and I'll do my best to keep you
updated.

I included the latest email from my Dad to get you up to speed on her
latest progress.

later,
Josh

From her father, Tom:

Sarah is doing much better. She is so tired and ready to come home. We
hope to bring her home by Monday/Tuesday of next week (3/14).

Sarah has a runny nose and has sneezed 3~4 times. We hope this is
reaction to allergies. This frightens us – due to her recent spinal
fluid leaks. Standard simple tests have not confirmed spinal fluid
leakage.

Shepherd has been a tough experience. She needs rest but they want her
active. Her stomach is rebelling from 4 weeks of medicine. Most of
their effort is being spent determining her existing status – not
working on the obvious – so it is difficult for us to see much
benefit. I think she would have recovered as much (or more) by coming
home. Hopefully by the time she leaves Shepherd, we will feel like the
stay at Shepherd was more worth it.

We are fortunate that her mind and body are very good. She has some
muscles and nerves in her face that haven't fully recovered.

We have a meeting at Shepherd on Monday and we are trying to get her
home as soon as possible.

I am trying to get our home (bed and shower) ready for her return and
to get working again. Darlene is still at Shepherd while I am home
for about 24 hours.

Please continue to pray for Sarah and our family.

Love,
Tom

Jack Tarlin
03-12-2005, 10:04
Dharma--

Thans for posting this; if you can, please write them back and get a current E-Mail or real address in case anyone wants to send a note or card. Thanx!

Dharma
03-12-2005, 14:33
I just got off the phone with her dad. Slayer is now recuperating at home. He said she is still having problems with the pain meds upsetting her stomach, which effects her eating. Also, she hasn't been able to sleep much at all during her recovery. She is getting her strength back, albeit slowly. Dad also said her mental faculties are back... sharp as a tack. Good news!!

address is:
Sarah Keister
1101 Ridgefield Dr.
Bishop, Ga. 30621

Her email: [email protected]

Slayer's parents are Darlene and Tom Keister.

Slider_at98
04-04-2005, 14:32
Thanks for the update. My daughter and I spent some time with Dragon Slayer while working at the RPH Shelter in NY. We were sorry to hear about her accident and wish her well in her recovery.My daughter who is 4 was able to do her first Trail magic with Dragon Slayer. I have some great pictures of the two of them I'll email and send to her. Hopefully it will bring a smile to her face. Thanks again for the update.

Slider

I just got off the phone with her dad. Slayer is now recuperating at home. He said she is still having problems with the pain meds upsetting her stomach, which effects her eating. Also, she hasn't been able to sleep much at all during her recovery. She is getting her strength back, albeit slowly. Dad also said her mental faculties are back... sharp as a tack. Good news!!

address is:
Sarah Keister
1101 Ridgefield Dr.
Bishop, Ga. 30621

Her email: [email protected]

Slayer's parents are Darlene and Tom Keister.

Trail Dog
04-05-2005, 22:58
glad to hear she is doing well. I was wondering how she was

weezer
04-29-2005, 17:50
I think me and my mom met Dragon slayer at trail days last year? Does anybody know how she is doing?

Dharma
04-30-2005, 15:39
Just talked with her today. She is doing great and recovering much faster than anyone expected. (I think 'recovering ' is not the word. When I called she was out shopping with her friends and planning to be out late tonight. So, she's doing real good.) She said she'll be at trail days.