PDA

View Full Version : Relo north of Pearisburg

Road runner
08-13-2011, 20:14
Does anyone know when the relo north of Pearisburg, Va will be completed?

Rain Man
08-13-2011, 22:56
Yes, the trail club responsible for that section. I think it's the Virginia Tech Hiking Club. They could tell you.

Rain:sunMan

Wuff
08-15-2011, 11:47
Good to here their re-doing that section, it was probably my least favorite of my hike from Springer to Harpers.

Big Dawg
08-17-2011, 23:39
Yes, the trail club responsible for that section. I think it's the Virginia Tech Hiking Club. They could tell you.

No info on their website on how to get in touch w/ them (that I could find). I'll s/w ATC 2moro to see if they have any info about this relo, or will obtain VT's contact info thru ATC,, I'm sure they have it.

Good to here their re-doing that section, it was probably my least favorite of my hike from Springer to Harpers.

I'm hiking from Pearisburg to Daleville this fall. Wondering if the relo will be done b4 I hike, but if not, curious why it was your least favorite?

dzierzak
08-18-2011, 08:55
Actually the "Outdoor Club of Virginia Tech" as listed on the ATC Maintaining Clubs page.

http://www.outdoor.org.vt.edu/ (http://www.outdoor.org.vt.edu/)

From the "About" page:

Trail Supervisor: Nimal Lobo (ocvt-trailmaint at vt dot edu)
A Rambo fan.

Also I believe a post-Gathering work party did some work on the relo last year.

Rain Man
08-18-2011, 09:35
Actually the "Outdoor Club of Virginia Tech" as listed on the ATC Maintaining Clubs page.
http://www.outdoor.org.vt.edu/ (http://www.outdoor.org.vt.edu/)

No info on their website on how to get in touch w/ them (that I could find).

Thanks for the correction, dzierzak. Looks like they changed their web site since last year. I found the contact info on their site before planning a group section hike there last year. I had no problem with that section of trail, as far as it being my own least favorite. Maybe whoever said that can elucidate Road Runner some. The view of Pearisburg from the privy behind the first shelter on the mountain north of Pearisburg was pretty amazing at night and early in the morning too.

I don't know far you plan to hike, but The Captain's Place is up there near the end of OCTV's stretch. I'd sure recommend a stop or finish a hike there at his place.

Have a great hike!

Big Dawg
08-18-2011, 23:32
I spoke w/ Alice at the ATC regional office for central/sw VA,, and she said the relo north of Pearisburg will probably not be completed for another 5 years, due to land acquisition issues. She said the current section of trail runs by a smelly processing plant.

wcgornto
08-18-2011, 23:39
I spoke w/ Alice at the ATC regional office for central/sw VA,, and she said the relo north of Pearisburg will probably not be completed for another 5 years, due to land acquisition issues. She said the current section of trail runs by a smelly processing plant.

I don't know how you could get away from the processing plant, as it is necessary to cross the river and the bridge is next to the plant.

Big Dawg
08-19-2011, 01:41
I don't know how you could get away from the processing plant, as it is necessary to cross the river and the bridge is next to the plant.

don't know,,,, Alice didn't give me that detail.

Wuff
08-22-2011, 11:31
I'm hiking from Pearisburg to Daleville this fall. Wondering if the relo will be done b4 I hike, but if not, curious why it was your least favorite?

The hike runs over a river along an expressway, all the time being very smelly from the "processing plant". After the expressway you end up following or at least crossing (can't remember exactly) a private dirt road that leads to a landfill. My friend and I ended up taking a wrong turn as well.

HOWEVER - this didn't last too long, it was just a tough day for me personally. Once away from the processing plant and town the climb got tough but much more scenic. It's really just the first part that was bad.

-Frizzle

Firefighter503
08-22-2011, 12:05
I finished my NOBO attempt this year at The Captain's Place, just north of Pearisburg. That section past Pearisburg seemed to take forever for me, and was not very enjoyable. I also had a lot going on back home and therefore a lot on my mind, so take that with a grain of salt. Since being home, I have thought about getting back on the trail every day where I left off.

Wuff
08-26-2011, 11:06
I finished my NOBO attempt this year at The Captain's Place, just north of Pearisburg. That section past Pearisburg seemed to take forever for me, and was not very enjoyable. I also had a lot going on back home and therefore a lot on my mind, so take that with a grain of salt. Since being home, I have thought about getting back on the trail every day where I left off.

I got off at Harpers - have the same thoughts. Can't wait to get back out there. What is your trail name?

Jeff
08-26-2011, 11:32
Many towns the AT get near has noise, lights, air pollution, traffic, dogs, etc.

Yes, the Celense plant in Pearisburg does smell, but I cannot imagine changing my hiking plans because of it.

Rain Man
08-26-2011, 21:18
Yes, the Celense plant in Pearisburg does smell, but I cannot imagine changing my hiking plans because of it.

I hiked by it last year. Didn't smell a thing and I have a good sense of smell. Wind must have shifted.

Rain Man

dperry
08-30-2011, 19:27
The hike runs over a river along an expressway, all the time being very smelly from the "processing plant". After the expressway you end up following or at least crossing (can't remember exactly) a private dirt road that leads to a landfill. My friend and I ended up taking a wrong turn as well.

HOWEVER - this didn't last too long, it was just a tough day for me personally. Once away from the processing plant and town the climb got tough but much more scenic. It's really just the first part that was bad.

-Frizzle

We did this stretch on our failed attempt at a week-long hike a couple of years ago. After crossing the bridge, you use a plant service road for a short while, cut into the woods and do a PUD, cross the aforementioned landfill entrance (this belongs to Celanese), wander past a couple of plant outbuildings, then cross a local road. After that, you curl up the edge of the ridge roughly to the northwest, all the way up until you reach the top, very close to the point of the ridge. You then cut back to the northeast and follow the ridge all the way to the Allegheny Trail junction. As I understand it, most of the stretch climbing the hill is on Celanese land, and is the only major area of private ownership left on the trail. I believe the relocation will go much more directly up the hill (at least in general--I assume it will be switchbacked) to get it on public land. You'll reach the top much closer to Rice Field. The one disadvantage I see to this is that there is a good spring right where the trail currently reaches the top, which is much more convenient to NOBO's than Rice Field's is. This would be eliminated, or would at least require a major side trip. Being that that ridge is pretty dry, this would be a loss.

The sunset at Rice Field over West Virginia was just glorious. The rest of the ridge had several meadowy parts and would have been a lot prettier if it hadn't been so overgrown and us so hot and tired.