PDA

View Full Version : Water Purifier Drops?

Freedom Walker
08-14-2011, 09:51
I was in an outfitter store yesterday planning on buying Aquamira drops, but they were out. The clerk sold me a bottle of Sweetwater purifier solution that is labeled to be used with the MSR Sweetwater Microfilter and purifier system. He said it could be used alone the same as Aquamira. It is a chlorine-based solution like Aqua he said. I haven't opened the package and may take it back depending what I find out. I have a good filter but am looking to save weight on my next trip on the AT this fall. I plan on using one of those filters that come with coffee makers that can be used over and over to filter out small particles and then the drops. I would appreciate any help with this.

4eyedbuzzard
08-14-2011, 10:03
Not the same - MSR sweetwater is a 3.5% sodium hypoclorite (aka bleach) solution. Aqua Mira is Chlorine dioxide. The MSR stuff is used to kill what the Sweetwater filter doesn't mechanically get rid of - viruses, etc. It likely won't be effective (in that concentration) as a stand alone treatment, as Giardia and other more robust parasites will not be killed by it.

BigHodag
08-14-2011, 10:29
While "Not the same" a "3.5% sodium hypoclorite (aka bleach) solution" will purify water. Four parts per million (4 ppm) is the recommended textbook level for bleach purification, but 4 ppm smells and tastes like a city swimming pool. Standard household bleach is 5% and four drops per quart is about 4 ppm. A 3.5% solution would require more drops to hit 4 ppm. I use a swimming pool test kit to measure 4 ppm when purifying large amounts of water for groups. You could use one to experiment with your drops.

Instead of a coffee filter, consider a homemade ultralight 1 micron filter (http://youtu.be/is7X6JS9vUo).

sloger
08-14-2011, 11:56
While "Not the same" a "3.5% sodium hypoclorite (aka bleach) solution" will purify water. Four parts per million (4 ppm) is the recommended textbook level for bleach purification, but 4 ppm smells and tastes like a city swimming pool. Standard household bleach is 5% and four drops per quart is about 4 ppm. A 3.5% solution would require more drops to hit 4 ppm. I use a swimming pool test kit to measure 4 ppm when purifying large amounts of water for groups. You could use one to experiment with your drops.

Instead of a coffee filter, consider a homemade ultralight 1 micron filter (http://youtu.be/is7X6JS9vUo).

What exactly is the material used to make the filter in the video and, again, where do you purchase it? Thanks

Freedom Walker
08-14-2011, 15:36

Thanks for the information. I will take the sweetwater drops bac., I didn't need the Aquamira until late Sept, but I was close to the store. I like the homemade fifter idea and I also am interested in where to buy it

Hutch
08-14-2011, 17:00
If you can wait, why not have your outfitter order it for you, or maybe online ??

Blissful
08-14-2011, 18:10
Campmor has a good deal on Aqua Mira also if you need anything else.

Double Wide
08-14-2011, 22:18
I just ordered some Aquamira from Amazon--less than 12 bucks, no sales tax, free 2-day shipping with Prime. When you live in a high sales-tax state like TN, Amazon Prime is the way to go. Occasionally, I can find some useful backpacking stuff there too.

Ironbelly
08-15-2011, 07:55
When i decide to use chemical drops I go with bleach. It's the most cost effective for me. The sweetwater drops would work fine, but as already mentioned you would need to add an extra drop or so. Aqua mira and bleach are both equally effective, they are just different. A 5$ bottle of beach will last my entire life plus some, where as a 12$ pack of aqua mira will only last a 120 quarts at most.

Hooch
08-15-2011, 08:52
I carry AquaMira for times when the source I'm collecting from is questionable. I order it from Tin Man at AntiGravity Gear (http://www.antigravitygear.com). If you can't find it locally, that's who I suggest geting it from.

Freedom Walker
08-15-2011, 22:10

I just ordered a couple of Biodiesel & chemical filtration 1 micron filters from Complete Filtration services for 4.25 each and .99 cent shipping. When I get them in I will try to make some filters like those in the video. I will try them out on the next time out. Thanks to everyone who suggested where to order the Aquamira drops. I need some other stuff from Campmor, so I will order from them.