PDA

View Full Version : Resupply problem possibility

Jack Clifford
08-15-2011, 10:41
The closing of small post offices pose problem for resupply on the AT.
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2011/08/shutting-down-small-town-post-offices-could-make-things-tough-appalachian-trail-thru-hikers8579

Lone Wolf
08-15-2011, 11:16
post offices are not a necessity for food resupply. there will be no resupply problem

max patch
08-15-2011, 11:44
That article is over the top. Other alternatives are available for all of them. I was disappointed (assuming they were quoted correctly) in the ATC's response.

Tuckahoe
08-15-2011, 11:54
One of those leaving comments pretty much nailed it

I would say accomodating thru-hikers is hardly a good reason to keep open a money losing post office. First, the numbers (of hikers) just aren't that large.

And if hikers really believe that they have an impact on the local economy, then someone will meet the market demands for a better source of resupply.

4eyedbuzzard
08-15-2011, 12:06
This is an absolute non-issue at this point.
Of the 128 Post Office on or near the AT that are potentially used for resupply (see this list - http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=postoffices ), only 4 are under review for possible closing (see this list - http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-press-kits/expandedaccess/statelist.htm ).

The four that are under review and that quite probably will be closed at some point are:
Fontana Dam, NC 28733
Montebello, VA 24464
Lyme Center, NH 03769
Caratunk, ME 04925.

Mags
08-15-2011, 12:24
OMG! According to the article, people will have to hitch as much as SIX MILES if some of these POs closed!!! :D

(Thinking of my ~50 mile hitch to Salmon, ID to pick up shoes.. :) )

Lone Wolf
08-15-2011, 12:30
OMG! According to the article, people will have to hitch as much as SIX MILES if some of these POs closed!!! :D

(Thinking of my ~50 mile hitch to Salmon, ID to pick up shoes.. :) )nobody hitches anymore. they use their cell to call for a shuttle at road crossings

Mags
08-15-2011, 12:53
nobody hitches anymore. they use their cell to call for a shuttle at road crossings

As Garlic calls it :"AT World"..different rules, different cultures and something I am obviously not 100% in touch with anymore!!! :)

So, if people call for rides now, a lack of a PO is even less of a problem.

If I did the AT again, I'd be a relic. No SPOT, no cell phone, and no damn calling for shuttles. ;)

(Of course, even out here, many people carry a cell phone when hiking. Good luck getting it to work in some remote areas, though)

4eyedbuzzard
08-15-2011, 13:45
As Garlic calls it :"AT World"..different rules, different cultures and something I am obviously not 100% in touch with anymore!!! :)

So, if people call for rides now, a lack of a PO is even less of a problem.

If I did the AT again, I'd be a relic. No SPOT, no cell phone, and no damn calling for shuttles. ;)

(Of course, even out here, many people carry a cell phone when hiking. Good luck getting it to work in some remote areas, though)

Them cell phones don't work particularly well up here in VT, NH, ME either, especially down in the valleys (gaps for y'all). Smile, tuck in your shirt, stick out a thumb (and show a little leg maybe), and usually you'll get a ride pretty quickly.

A relic at 37 eh? What does that make us 50+ ers? Nevermind. Oh well, I guess being a "relic" beats the Logan's Run designation.

DLANOIE
08-15-2011, 13:47
"... Good luck getting it to work in some remote areas, though)[/QUOTE]

...Like Pinkham Notch???

Oh no he didn't!

Mags
08-15-2011, 13:50
Talking about the attitude as opposed to the age in terms of being a relic.

No GPS, no SPOT, no cell phone in the backcountry. And I tell people to get off my lawn. ;)

Oddly, or perhaps not so oddly, I work in IT. My entire paycheck is dependent upon helping to keep a 700 person company humming long. In my off hours, don't want to deal with it. :)

(BTW, agree of your assessment of where cell phone will work / not work)

I guess, it is my smart alec way of saying a six mile hitch ain't that bad.. :)

"... Good luck getting it to work in some remote areas, though)

...Like Pinkham Notch???

Oh no he didn't!

http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/funny-celebrity-pictures-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

WingedMonkey
08-15-2011, 14:00
Oddly, or perhaps not so oddly, I work in IT. My entire paycheck is dependent upon helping to keep a 700 person company humming long. In my off hours, don't want to deal with it. :)

Does your blog know that? Or is that part of "work" time?

:p

Tuckahoe
08-15-2011, 15:44
And I tell people to get off my lawn. ;)

But you only get points if you say it while shouldering an M1.

Mags
08-15-2011, 20:07
Does your blog know that? Or is that part of "work" time?

Writing for pleasure and doing photos at home (esp with wordpress as it is non-technical) is a LOT different than taking an electronic totchke on the trail never mind troubleshooting the day-to-day PITA stuff of corporate computing. :) The laptop is a tool. I am sure as hell not using the tool for work-related stuff in my off-hours.

The old man did sheet metal for a living. He never did duct work at home. But he did use tools for home improvement projects he enjoyed.

In the same way, while I am in IT, that does not mean I want to have a dark room and write strictly with a pen and paper to do what I enjoy (photos and writings about the outdoors) instead of a laptop.

And, I now get paid for weekly articles in a local paper..so that is work I guess, too.. :p

But you only get points if you say it while shouldering an M1.

I will never be as cool as Mr. Eastwood. Then again, neither will many of us... :)

Blissful
08-15-2011, 22:14
I still think the closing of Caratunk is huge for hikers. The resupply options there are not good unless the resort steps up to the plate, but they were not very helpful last year. The one convenience store down the road left much to be desired. Too bad Ferryman is gone. It would be really nice if the resort accepted mail drops there.

brian039
08-17-2011, 01:02
I still think the closing of Caratunk is huge for hikers. The resupply options there are not good unless the resort steps up to the plate, but they were not very helpful last year. The one convenience store down the road left much to be desired. Too bad Ferryman is gone. It would be really nice if the resort accepted mail drops there.

Brings back memories. I ate a lot of candy bars between Caratunk and Monson.