PDA

View Full Version : 3-day hike in GA

JeF4y
08-15-2011, 10:46
Figured I'd avoid hijacking another post and simply put up my own.

I have been kicking around doing a couple of days on the AT with the Ms. for a while, and am getting more serious about a 3 day'er over the Labor Day weekend. Had a tough time finding mile-marker resources, so I was considering Springer to Woody, but finding this and the GA AT club site: http://www.georgia-atclub.org/trail/trailguide.htm I think Springer to Neels would be perfect.

Thinking we'll drive up from Atlanta and park at Neels gap on Sat morn & arrange transportation from there back to Springer where we will start our trek back to the car, getting there sometime Monday afternoon.

We have decent equipment and just spent a week putting on 8-11 mile days at 10,000'-14,000' altitude in the Rockies, so hopefully this won't crush us. =)

Thoughts/comments/input/suggestions/encouragement certainly appreciated!

Cheers.

-Jeff

max patch
08-15-2011, 10:59
I've gotten unconfirmed reports that there is no water from Woody to Neels; if true the alternative would be to hike to Lake Winfield Scott on the Jarrad Gap Trail.

JeF4y
08-15-2011, 11:17
Thanks for the heads up!

Looking at it, Woody to Neels without water wouldn't be the worst thing since it's the final day and we wouldn't be doing a dinner or cleaning up. If we could get water at or right before Woody on night 2 for cooking, cleaning that night and then fill our hydro packs for the last 10 miles we should be good. But great info!!!

Thanks!

scope
08-15-2011, 11:24
There is a creek about 2m north of Big Cedar. I don't know that its not dry, but it would surprise me if it were. Its off to the right (Nobo) in a low section of the trail... should be able to see a cleared camping spot downhill to the right and about 30 yards off.

OnlyJohn
08-15-2011, 11:25
I was between Woody Gap and Neel's gap on Saturday. Lance creek is still flowing pretty well. The smaller springs and seeps have pretty much dried up.

Only John

OnlyJohn
08-15-2011, 11:27
I did not mention it in the previous post, but this is the creek north of Big Cedar that Scope is referring to in his post.

Ladytrekker
08-15-2011, 11:58
Get a ride to FS 42 about a 30-45 min drive from Mountain Crossings to a remote parking lot. You get on the trail and go south up to Springer sign the register enjoy the sites and then come back down the same trail about 2 miles round trip and then head on towards Neels Gap. Otherwise you have to include the approach trail which is an additional 8 miles.

Shelter Listing: http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/

I would so love to hiking right now. To hot in Florida for breathing right now being in the mountains would soothe my soul. I'm restless.

Ladytrekker
08-15-2011, 11:59
Has anyone heard from Cool Breeze is he still doing shuttles.

JeF4y
08-15-2011, 13:04
Get a ride to FS 42 about a 30-45 min drive from Mountain Crossings to a remote parking lot. You get on the trail and go south up to Springer sign the register enjoy the sites and then come back down the same trail about 2 miles round trip and then head on towards Neels Gap. Otherwise you have to include the approach trail which is an additional 8 miles.

I have to profess that I have no clue what the above is attempting to convey.

What is FS 42?
Where is mountain crossings?
What remote lot?

I had intended to park at Neels Gap at the Byron Reese Memorial: http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=5+&sectionID=32 and then get a ride from there back to Springer, avoiding the add'l 8mi approach trail.

Shelter Listing: http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/

Will end up walking past them if we do Springer to Neels in 3 days or we'd end up with a 15 mi day 3 which would be pretty tough.

Hooch
08-15-2011, 13:11
Has anyone heard from Cool Breeze is he still doing shuttles.Negative. Last I heard, he moved to Florida.

max patch
08-15-2011, 13:13
[QUOTE=JeF4y;1189939]I have to profess that I have no clue what the above is attempting to convey.

What is FS 42?
Where is mountain crossings?
What remote lot?

I had intended to park at Neels Gap at the Byron Reese Memorial: http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=5+§ionID=32 and then get a ride from there back to Springer, avoiding the add'l 8mi approach trail.[QUOTE]

"FS 42" is the forest service road your shuttle driver will use to get the "remote lot" 0.9 miles north of springer where the shuttle driver will let you out to start your hike. "Mountain Crossings" is the store at Neels Gap which is about 1/3 mile south of Byron Reece parking lot where you are leaving your car.

JeF4y
08-15-2011, 13:16
Perfect! Thanks Max. Makes sense.

FatMan
08-15-2011, 14:31
Lance creek is running, and you can always get water down the Jarrard gap trail. Just a matter of how far you have to go. Worst case scenario is Lake Windfield Scott. IMO Springer to Neels on Labor day weekend (still quite warm) for a first time AT trip is too aggressive. Most thru hikers take four days to reach Neels. I'm not saying you can't do it, but unless you are a seasoned hiker, you or the missus will likely find it too much.

JeF4y
08-15-2011, 14:50
If push came to shove we could spend another night on the trail. I was originally thinking Springer to Woody, but if we can get in Blood Mountain that would be cool.

What's your concern? The heat? Distance? Elevation profile? I based the 10 mi days on our recent 7 days climbing & hiking in the Rockies where we were doing 8-11 mile days at high altitude, each with between 2000-4000' elevation gain per day. That was some tough hiking =) I am interested to hear your thoughts though..

Thanks.

-Jeff

daddytwosticks
08-15-2011, 15:28
Sounds like you and the wife are in very good shape...probably won't have a problem. But many fit hikers are VERY surprised at this section of the trail due to its PUDS. Good luck and have fun. :)

FatMan
08-15-2011, 15:34
What's your concern? The heat? Distance? Elevation profile? I based the 10 mi days on our recent 7 days climbing & hiking in the Rockies where we were doing 8-11 mile days at high altitude, each with between 2000-4000' elevation gain per day. That was some tough hiking =) I am interested to hear your thoughts though..

Thanks.

-JeffJeff,
Based upon your recent hike experience you should be fine. I am only cautionary because I live right on the trail and often run into first time ATers that have bit off more than they can chew. Fact is, this forum is full of testosterone when it comes to telling first time ATers how many miles they should expect to do. Even with your current experience, you will be surprised at how much the temps and humidity will kick your butt this time of year in GA. Labor day weekend may, or may not, be bad. But if it is hot and humid you are in for a different kind of hike than you experienced in the Rockies. Good chance I will see you out on the trail somewhere between Cooper and Woody Gap. Enjoy your hike, but if you have bit off more than you can chew I will be happy to help. You and missus would then be the fourth hiker(s) I have helped exit the trail this year who bit off more than they can chew after getting mileage advice on Whiteblaze this year.

Blissful
08-15-2011, 15:45
Oh you both will do just fine. Esp with some experience like you've had. But even without it, you'll do fine. Have fun.

JeF4y
08-15-2011, 15:57
Thanks FatMan (for your wisdom & for your helping of other hikers)

I certainly don't minimize the level of effort, and might plan it different if my schedule was rigid or if I was planning a thru-hike. I could see starting slower on a thru-hike, as to not want to bust your butt straight off the bat. Fortunately I only have to put on miles for 3 days, not 180. LOL...

And for the record, on one climb in the rockies, we turned around 1/2 mile & 400 vertical feet from the summit because my wife could go no further. It was a tough decision, but one I certainly do not regret. (moral of the story, yeah, I can bite off more than we can chew every now and again).

JeF4y
08-15-2011, 15:59
And for the record, on one climb in the rockies,

ON ONE CLIMB.....

ugh.. dyslexic fingers today...

FatMan
08-15-2011, 16:00
Oh you both will do just fine. Esp with some experience like you've had. But even without it, you'll do fine. Have fun.Ahhh...nothing better than chicks with testosterone too.:D

As I wrote I doubt they will have a problem with their recent hiking experience. But I would never recommend a person without experience try to make Neels in three days.

JeF4y
08-15-2011, 16:00
wow... maybe it's dyslexic eyes?

Cherbear
08-25-2011, 18:41
Hey. My husband and I are planning on doing this same hike in the beginning of October. Any info you have after the hike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

JeF4y
08-26-2011, 08:21
Hey. My husband and I are planning on doing this same hike in the beginning of October. Any info you have after the hike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Will let you know my experience!

JeF4y
09-27-2011, 14:04
Cherbear, by the way, we never did make this hike. Ended up canceling about 10 hours before departing. Everything packed, boom, family crisis... ugh...

Waiting to get back up there as time allows.

Cherbear
09-30-2011, 20:59
We are still planning on doing the same hike. Plan on heading out in a little over a week. I'm sorry your trip got cancelled. I will let you know how it goes.