PDA

View Full Version : Seam sealer for silnylon

Frosty
02-12-2005, 15:51
I have seam sealer for my old Kelty one-person tent, but I bought a Henry Shires tarptent.

Also have a silnylon rain cover and a couple of silnylon stuff sacks.

Do I need a special seam sealer for silnylon or can I use my old stuff?

flyfisher
02-12-2005, 15:58
I have seam sealer for my old Kelty one-person tent, but I bought a Henry Shires tarptent.

Silicone on silicone. Seam sealer for Polyurethane coated nylon.

There is a commercial, thick silicone seam sealer, but I have not had good luck with it.

http://www.imrisk.com/seamsealer/seamsealer.htm

RU98A
02-12-2005, 17:28
They sell the sealer for the Tarptent on their website

Frosty
02-12-2005, 17:40
They sell the sealer for the Tarptent on their websiteSo they do. Very interesting. The picture clearly shows a tube KITCHEN & BATH caulk. Text accomplying the picture says

Silicone sealer

Silicone sealer for waterproofing and seam strengthening. Mix with mineral spirits or denatured alcohol to thin before applying.

Guess I'll head down to Home Depot.

Thanks

orangebug
02-12-2005, 17:43
You can use silicon bathtub caulk / sealant / windshield sealant / whatever. If you wish, you can thin it with mineral spirits or alcohol. Test the thinned caulk on a spare piece. The easiest way is to set up the tent, run a line of caulk, squeeze it in with a finger and wait for it to dry, you can also run a bead of caulk on the outside of the seam and squeeze it in.

Nightwalker
02-12-2005, 18:35

http://www.imrisk.com/seamsealer/seamsealer.htm
1:4 silicone caulk to Coleman fuel.

orangebug
02-12-2005, 18:39
I get a bit freaked out with flammables inside a tent. I don't thin my silicon sealant, just squeeze it through the seam the best I can.

hikerjohnd
02-12-2005, 22:14
I just sealed my tarptent yesterday - follow the instuctions on the website and it works great! Took me about 30 mins from start to finish!

Frosty
02-12-2005, 23:42
I just sealed my tarptent yesterday - follow the instuctions on the website and it works great! Took me about 30 mins from start to finish!what website is this

hikerjohnd
02-12-2005, 23:56
what website is this
Sorry about that - the tarptent website - www.tarptent.com/faq.html - here is the link to the FAQ where the seam sealing instructions can be found...

neo
02-13-2005, 16:35
i always use silnet seam sealer on silnylon,works great:sun neo

Nightwalker
02-13-2005, 21:09
I get a bit freaked out with flammables inside a tent. I don't thin my silicon sealant, just squeeze it through the seam the best I can.
It evaporates in hours, leaving only the silicone.