PDA

View Full Version : AT day hike suggestions near Erwin, TN

msujay
08-15-2011, 11:29
My wife and 2-year old son are staying in the NC High Country near Banner Elk the last week of August. I am looking for suggestions for day hikes in the area. My son will likely spend most of the time in a child carrier backpack. We are in good shape. We like nice views and water. Thanks in advance!

Lone Wolf
08-15-2011, 11:36
go to Grayson Highlands state park in Va. easy hiking, wild ponies and tons of blueberries

rjhouser
08-15-2011, 11:59
Carver's Gap to Elk Park is a beautiful 13 mile hike over some of the most amazing balds in the southern appalachians. Here's a video I made with my dad when we did it a few months ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvz3EFhytuc

Tennessee Viking
08-15-2011, 12:22
Roan Mtn is your closest AT destination.

Carvers Gap to the Roan Balds and Grassy Ridge
Roaring Creek Road gate to the barn to the AT and out to Hump and Little Hump
Hughes gap to Little Rock Knob cliffs/Cyde Smith Shelter
Indian Grave Gap to Beauty Spot
Drive Red Fork Road from TN 107 up Unaka Mtn to Stamping Ridge. Walk or possibly drive out to the overlook. Then drive to Beauty Spot. Park there hike to the Unaka Summit.

ScottP
08-15-2011, 15:59
those are both fantastic options.

The balds on the south side of carver gap and the Grayson highlands area to the north of Damascus, VA are two of the prettiest spots on the Southern AT.

msujay
08-22-2011, 19:52
Thanks to those who responded with suggestions. I think we are going to spend time in Grayson Highlands and another day hiking the balds from Carver Gap. Thanks!