PDA

View Full Version : Pre- or Post-Gathering Backpacking in MA. CT, NY

SawnieRobertson
08-15-2011, 15:27
I am looking for information about backpacking Massachusetts and south to the AT railroad crossing in September and early October. More specifically, I wonder which would be better--my Speer hammock with all the things to bundle me up or my Lightheart tent with all the things to bundle me up. You may have noticed that I do not expect the nights to be balmy. Also, I have found the trail when it is covered by leaves to be pretty slippery. Any advice about that?

Kinnickinic

raiffnuke
08-15-2011, 15:29
There is no shortage of places to hang on the AT in that area, and if you hang, you don't have to worry about getting your tent covered with the wet leaves and mud.

SawnieRobertson
08-15-2011, 16:16
There is no shortage of places to hang on the AT in that area, and if you hang, you don't have to worry about getting your tent covered with the wet leaves and mud.

I had not thought about mud and wet leaves on the tent, just under my feet. Very good point. Thanks.--Kinnickinic

Driver8
08-15-2011, 16:19
I am looking for information about backpacking Massachusetts and south to the AT railroad crossing in September and early October. More specifically, I wonder which would be better--my Speer hammock with all the things to bundle me up or my Lightheart tent with all the things to bundle me up. You may have noticed that I do not expect the nights to be balmy. Also, I have found the trail when it is covered by leaves to be pretty slippery. Any advice about that?

Gotta take small steps, and trekking poles definitely help. Especially look out for Everett and Lion's Head southern descents, and the trail for about 1/2 south of LH's descent bears caution. Jug End and Bear Mtn's northsides, even on ascent, are tricky. LH has a bypass trail which avoids the slickest part of the descent, but if you take that, be sure to take AT to southern overlook, which is a peach, and then double back (1/3 mi RT).

SawnieRobertson
08-15-2011, 16:40
Gotta take small steps, and trekking poles definitely help. Especially look out for Everett and Lion's Head southern descents, and the trail for about 1/2 south of LH's descent bears caution. Jug End and Bear Mtn's northsides, even on ascent, are tricky. LH has a bypass trail which avoids the slickest part of the descent, but if you take that, be sure to take AT to southern overlook, which is a peach, and then double back (1/3 mi RT).

Sounds dicey. I had heard that Mt. Everett is quite exposed but not the other stuff about Lion's Head. Is hiking north over them better? (I really have not decided which direction to take this yet so, since I will possibly be alone, that is a consideration.) Thanks also for the LH bypass information. I have noticed peviously that you give accurate information. Thanks for the help.--Kinnickinic

Driver8
08-15-2011, 17:17
Sounds dicey. I had heard that Mt. Everett is quite exposed but not the other stuff about Lion's Head. Is hiking north over them better? (I really have not decided which direction to take this yet so, since I will possibly be alone, that is a consideration.) Thanks also for the LH bypass information. I have noticed peviously that you give accurate information. Thanks for the help.--Kinnickinic

Thank you, Sawnie! :) I know only a small part of the trail, but know it pretty well. The Taconics are gonna get you on steep ups and downs whether you go south or north. Everett is not exposed cliff faces, it's just steep rocks. North side's not too bad, though you'd have to watch out for leaves there, too - it does have a dirt roadwalk as alternative. South side is doable, just take it slow.

Breakdown:

Everett, south side, steep stretch: about 0.25 miles at 33%, with some passes closer to 45%.
Bear, north side: 0.2 miles at 37%, with some 45% passes.
Jug End - haven't done, but I hear it's comparable to Bear and Everett.
Lion's Head and Bear south side, as already discussed.
Race, north size, about 10% for a mile, with some scrambly passes. I slipped and fell on my butt and back (cushioned by my pack) in June on the day after rains.

I've not yet done St. John's Ledges, north side, but I hear it's the toughest of all. Southbound, over all, probably is a bit easier for this stretch than north.

Also, I highly recommend the side excursion, mile and a half or so each way and a bit steep in places, on Race Brook Falls Trail between Everett and Race. Gorgeous. 6 waterfalls in a 0.3 mile stretch of brook. Better to descend away from falls on main trail and reascent along the brook for falls view. My favorite short trail. :)

If you like, I'd enjoy hiking part of it with you for a day. When is the Gathering? Is that Oct 7-9 in NW Mass? I might go to that, if so.

Sly
08-15-2011, 17:27
If you like, I'd enjoy hiking part of it with you for a day. When is the Gathering? Is that Oct 7-9 in NW Mass? I might go to that, if so.

See links in sig.

Sawnie, having never hammocked I can't give you any advice there but I wouldn't expect it to be too cold around that time. It's going to be in peak leaf season so the trail should be just awesome.

johnnybgood
08-15-2011, 18:05
Better take an underquilt or insulated sleeping pad to keep the cool air from drafting under your hammock.

Tent vs Hammock question :I'd wait till the day before leaving and let mother nature help decide on which option is better .
Because late Sept/Oct is shoulder season any myraid of weather conditions can occur.

As far as slippery hiking surfaces go ,use trekking poles and wear footwear with good grip lugs for traction.

SawnieRobertson
08-15-2011, 20:26
See links in sig.

Sawnie, having never hammocked I can't give you any advice there but I wouldn't expect it to be too cold around that time. It's going to be in peak leaf season so the trail should be just awesome.

Yes, having The Gathering right on the trail at the peak of the leaf season is great. I have made arrangemnts to get back to North Adams on October 5, hoping that I can help with preparations on the 6th. See you then!--Sawnie

Sly
08-15-2011, 20:35
Yes, having The Gathering right on the trail at the peak of the leaf season is great. I have made arrangemnts to get back to North Adams on October 5, hoping that I can help with preparations on the 6th. See you then!--Sawnie

Great, October 6, just in time for my birthday! ;)

Blissful
08-15-2011, 22:03
I never saw that part - Mt Everett, etc. Completely fogged in. I do not recall it being slippery, though. My main issue that time of year is acorns falling and acorns on the trail. But that can vary from year to year in places.

Driver8
08-15-2011, 23:58
I never saw that part - Mt Everett, etc. Completely fogged in. I do not recall it being slippery, though. My main issue that time of year is acorns falling and acorns on the trail. But that can vary from year to year in places.

My being a heavyweight (for the time being, at least) and Sawnie being in her 70s, the concerns she and I would have about descending slippery trail are probably similar. I would descent Everett, especially if we and leafy, quite slowly. I did it a year ago on a dry summer day - not too bad, just had to take care for my knees. I'm a good 20 lbs thinner now than then, but I'd still do that downhill gingerly. Meanwhile, I've heard of light and fit hikers slipping and falling to injury descending Jug End in wet, leafy conditions. Doubtless that would be safer ascending. If one takes proper care in the Taconics, it should be fine and safe enough.

Driver8
08-16-2011, 00:00
*Wet* and leafy. Proofread, Christopher, proofread!

PS: Sly, my birthday's not long after yours, a dozen days or so. Another good reason for me to go to the Gathering - a birthday treat for myself. :)