PDA

View Full Version : Trail Clearing Tool?

Scrub
08-15-2011, 15:58
I am planning to spend a couple of days on the trail in Grayson/Smyth County VA between VA16 and I81 just to knock that section off my list. What are your thought on a fairly light tool I could take along to help with clearing any overgrown areas I encounter along the way? I will be hiking at a leisurely pace and wouldn't mind helping out, but an idea on what tool to use escapes me right now.

jlb2012
08-15-2011, 16:02
a folding saw such as a Corona Clipper : http://www.amazon.com/Corona-Clipper-Folding-RS-7255/dp/B0001Q2WDQ/ref=pd_sim_ol_4

unless you want to go after the bigger stuff in which case the Corona 13 inch or Corona Pro 21 inch fixed blade saws are a good choice

Cosmo
08-15-2011, 16:54
You should really leave the trail maintaining to the local volunteer--who knows, they might be planning a trip to their section the day after you've been through--big waste of their time that would be.

If you insist on doing their work for them, I'd bring a small hand clipper, Fiskars makes some nice ones. They fit in your pocket and can cut raspberries and other fast growing vegetation. When I'm clipping brush on my section, I'm lucky if I'm moving at 1mph, very leisurely. Also, cut the stuff right back to the ground or the trunk--clipping it off right at the edge of the trail just makes more fast-growing sprouts, right where you don't want them. We're not interested in making topiary.

Cosmo

4eyedbuzzard
08-15-2011, 17:31
Hmmm, You could use a kaiser blade; some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade.

leaftye
08-15-2011, 18:35
Pruning saws are light and work well, but for smaller branches a set of loppers works so much better that I think you'd be better off carrying the extra weight if you really want to be productive. The Fiskers Titanium has worked well for me during the past few months of trail work. Do NOT get the anvil loppers unless you'll only be cutting dead and dry branches because they don't work well on live branches at all. Loppers with fancy mechanisms to generate more force at the cutting head are supposed to be helpful, but require opening the handles wider and may create clearance issues and aren't necessary if you're strong. The long handled loppers make it much easier to cut closer to the ground and higher up tree trunks. If you have strong hands and are okay with cutting even smaller branches, you might want to consider hand held loppers, but I don't have experience using those for trail work... A fixed-handle pruning saw will allow you to cut down smaller trees quickly, but I personally think you shouldn't do that unless you do it properly, ie, to the standard the local trail crew would. I'm not crazy about folding saws.

Spiffy
08-15-2011, 19:08
.... fairly light tool I could take along to help with clearing any overgrown areas ......

Check out the "Woodsman's Pal"
It is the best tool I've ever used for brush clearing. The hook makes quick & easy work of briars, vines and 1" saplings -- live/dead it doesn't matter.
Made in USA.

http://www.woodmanspal.com/categories/woodmans-pal-compact-premium-model-784

(http://www.woodmanspal.com/categories/woodmans-pal-compact-premium-model-784)

The Snowman
08-15-2011, 19:25
I find the saw blade on my swiss army knife works well for spure of the momont trail work.

Wise Old Owl
08-15-2011, 20:04
THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT. (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=machete&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products)

Deadeye
08-15-2011, 20:22
You should really leave the trail maintaining to the local volunteer--who knows, they might be planning a trip to their section the day after you've been through--big waste of their time that would be.

If you insist on doing their work for them, I'd bring a small hand clipper, Fiskars makes some nice ones. They fit in your pocket and can cut raspberries and other fast growing vegetation. When I'm clipping brush on my section, I'm lucky if I'm moving at 1mph, very leisurely. Also, cut the stuff right back to the ground or the trunk--clipping it off right at the edge of the trail just makes more fast-growing sprouts, right where you don't want them. We're not interested in making topiary.

Cosmo

Right on. I have to hike to the trail I maintain, and the folks that maintain the other trail don't want me to do their work for them. If you want to hike, hike. If you want to help, walk in the middle of the trail, and volunteer.

Slo-go'en
08-15-2011, 21:34
With all the strong storms which blew through the south this spring, I got tired of busting through blow downs by hand, so I picked up a small gerber hand saw at Hot Springs and cleared quite a few trees off the trail - or at least made a decent path to climb over them. The chances of having to do this very often at this time of year is less likely.

One thing everyone with hiking poles can do is flick the sticks and small branches which always litter the trail off to the side. Over the years, I've cleared thousands of them off the trail - its a never ending process.

Anything more serious then that requires clippers or a grass whip and using those tools will really slow you down.

silver
08-15-2011, 22:44
Right on. I have to hike to the trail I maintain, and the folks that maintain the other trail don't want me to do their work for them. If you want to hike, hike. If you want to help, walk in the middle of the trail, and volunteer.

I have hiked many a mile that was not maintained by the local or whatever responsible for the given section and have swung my hiking poles in an effort to remove the offending trail encroaching vegetation. I would say more power to anyone that is willing to remove what does not belong there. You should be happy to accommodate anyone willing to help. If too much has been done so the local maintainer has not enough to do he can visit his favorite local watering hole and hoist a brew in thanks to the individual who helped out. You may have a portion of trail as yours to maintain, but it's pretty annal to object to anyone wishing to help with trail maintaining.

leaftye
08-15-2011, 23:58

Have you done trail work before? It seems like you have with the rest of your comment. I've been done months of it this year and I certainly doubt anyone on my crew(s) would have been upset if we came upon a section of trail that had already been worked on before. In fact, that was the case on my first project this year. The only time I imagine we could have been upset is if it was done incorrectly, like if trees and shrubs were cut too high off the ground because that means we'd have to do it again and that the wood would be a lot drier and harder.

So again, my recommendation is that if trail work is done, to do it correctly or not at all. That goes for pretty much all kinds of trail work.

DLANOIE
08-16-2011, 01:41
I use my poles to swat downed branches off the trail and if Im hiking where I will be at a shelter, I clean up where I can. I leave the big stuff to the pros...and thank you to all maintainers for making my hiking experience more safe and enjoyable.

upstream
08-16-2011, 07:56
Please, Please, come hike on "my" section, any time you want.

I suggest a pair of aluminum handle bypass pruners in a holster by your side, for Briars, year round. There are many makes of folding saws, you could keep in a side pocket of your pack. Fiskars makes a real light short handle pruner. A swingblade or small sickle or machete can also be useful, although not as light.

The more you can do of this kind of work, the more time I have for sidehill, waterbar rework, check step construction, etc. All help is appreciated.

Thank you.

stumpknocker
08-16-2011, 08:01
Please, Please, come hike on "my" section, any time you want.

I suggest a pair of aluminum handle bypass pruners in a holster by your side, for Briars, year round. There are many makes of folding saws, you could keep in a side pocket of your pack. Fiskars makes a real light short handle pruner. A swingblade or small sickle or machete can also be useful, although not as light.

The more you can do of this kind of work, the more time I have for sidehill, waterbar rework, check step construction, etc. All help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Well said!! Seems to me the op IS a volunteer. Why in the world would anyone turn away a volunteer??

One of the best ridge runners I ever met carried hand pruners with him and was using them as he walked along his section of Trail.

I had a lot of respect for him, just like I would have a lot of respect for Scrub if I saw him walking the Trail and doing a little to help out along the way.

I sure hope Scrub doesn't pay any attention to anyone who doesn't appreciate his efforts.

YohonPetro
08-16-2011, 10:58
I'm a big fan of the weed whip. I used it a lot on a volunteer trip in WA. It works best with soft non-woody plants, the soft stemmed plants of meadows. It works very well while hiking. Step-swing step-swing. Doesn't kill your pace much either.

http://www.nynjtc.org/committees/trailscouncil/maintman/maintman.html

beakerman
08-16-2011, 11:22
I've never seen people tell someone "no don't help me! i'd rather have more work..."

To the OP if you are in doubt contact the local hiking club to see who is responsible for that section and then call that group to see if they have anything planned. If nothing else you can get a decent feel for trail conditions as well. A phone call or email can do wonders with things like this.

As I hike I always clear dead fall (when possible with the tools I have at hand) I also clip back the brush and such. I routinely volunteer to do regular trail maintenance though and I am in tune with the local hiking club plans for maintenance works.

I've never heard anyone complain that they showed up for a work day and didn't have a trail to clear...it usually turns into a hike day.

Rocket Jones
08-16-2011, 11:55
So again, my recommendation is that if trail work is done, to do it correctly or not at all. That goes for pretty much all kinds of trail work.

Where can one go to find out what "correct" trimming, clearing or pruning is?

leaftye
08-16-2011, 13:19
Where can one go to find out what "correct" trimming, clearing or pruning is?

Joining a trail crew is the best way. You might also want to talk to your trail rep and ask for a copy of the standards to which the trail is maintained. If that isn't an option at this time, the book "Lightly Upon the Land" has great advice.

That said, pruning is normally done very close to the ground and covered with bark/branches/dirt or close to a large trunk. Throwing clippings far off the trail is the best bet, but sometimes they can be used to block side trails that obviously shouldn't exist.