PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking Q

C-Stepper
02-12-2005, 17:52
Sorry for the dumb*ss question, but I've seen similar replies several times now refering to this and I haven't yet figured out what it means.

What does it mean when someone says they are hiking "section hike #6"? I'm assuming that this is a specific hike in a specific book, but I have lots of, for example, books about different hikes on the AT, but none are specifically section hikes. Can someone elaborate? Thanks.

Jaybird
02-12-2005, 18:12
a section is a section was a section tis a section!

more learned sages of the trail shouldve jumped on this one...but, as i understand it....a section is any part of the trail that you choose to portion out to hike....but in the manner in which you refer to the designation:

a section is defined in the Appalachian Trail Guide...example: Davenport Gap (Tenn.32-N.C.284) to Newfound Gap (U.S.441) Section One 31.3miles

and it goes on to give a brief description of the section, highlights & side-trails, summit elevations, etc.,etc.

orangebug
02-12-2005, 18:15
What was the contest of "section hike #6"? It could refer to some book on hiking trails, or someone's 6th outing or anything else. I don't know of anyone numbering the AT for section numbers.

Alligator
02-12-2005, 18:26
Or maybe a map section of an overall set (from ATC)? Never saw this before. Could've been the 6th time out like OB says.

orangebug
02-12-2005, 18:40
Of course, the word was supposed to be "context". At-troll ain't letting me edit.

Askus3
02-12-2005, 19:11
I like numbering stuff like my section trips, so the numbers are arbitrary as far as my nomenclature. So this summer is ME AT V which runs from East Flagstaff Road to South Arm Road in Maine which is just my annual AT section hike numbering southbound.

C-Stepper
02-13-2005, 13:24
What was the contest of "section hike #6"? It could refer to some book on hiking trails, or someone's 6th outing or anything else. I don't know of anyone numbering the AT for section numbers.I've seen the same type of message several times, but I thought I'd finally ask about it since I saw it again yesterday in a post by Doctari...apologies, D, I am just wondering what it meant. Here is his post in Gear Talk, where the discussion was about how to fit all the gear in a pack...

QUOTE: "I will be leaving the water filter home next trip (section hike #6), perhaps along the trail you too will do so."
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

orangebug
02-13-2005, 13:40
In that context, I'd assume it is his 6th section hike.

Like all of us, we add and delete gear each trip. I left my PUR Hiker at home after my 4-5th trip, and quite using my Safewater Anywhere inline filter about 2 years ago, but I've lost count of my sections.

BTW, explain The#is10? Got a thing for numbers? ;)

C-Stepper
02-13-2005, 15:11
I'm particularly interested in section hiking, since I don't see how I could do a thru for maybe, oh, say, 20 more years! :rolleyes: I thought it may reference some section hiker specific guide, or something. I'd hate to miss out on additional reading material!

BTW, explain The#is10? Got a thing for numbers? ;) Nah...boring, really...it was my number in high school & college. Maybe I'll actually get a real, cool, trail name if I can ever get to the AT. Hard with kids, and being a woman...and, I don't have any buddies to hike with, so husband HATES it (but doesn't want to go, either). <SIGH>