PDA

View Full Version : One week in September

gwb
08-16-2011, 06:11
First time poster long time lurker. I have learned a lot from this website over the last year or so!
So... Last year I determined I would like to section hike the entire trail over the next few years. So far I have hiked Delaware Water Gap to Harpers Ferry. In mid SeptemberI have a week off and need some opinions... What would you do 6-7 days north of Delaware Water Gap or South from Harpers Ferry? I averaged 15-20 miles per day so far. Closer to 20. My deciding factors would mostly be transportation. I can easily get dropped off at either point but would like to find my own transportation back home, Grey Hound or a train. Opinions? Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

4eyedbuzzard
08-16-2011, 10:36
I'd plan on several options and take a look at the 7 day weather forecast the day before I left and go with what looks best weather wise.

4eyedbuzzard
08-17-2011, 13:14
Bumped it for ya. Can anyone help with the public transportation question?

ScottP
08-17-2011, 13:15
I'd actually recommend getting dropped 7 days south of HF and hiking into HF. You can get a shower at a hotel then take the commuter train into all of the DC public transit hubs.

Leanthree
08-17-2011, 23:25
You could probably hike north from DWG and make it to either West Milford, NJ where there is a NJ Transit commuter bus to NYC or to Bear Mountain Inn (Bus on weekends a few options for commuter trains a short hitch away.) Really, from anywhere in that area it is reasonably easy to get to nyc and then home from there.

gwb
08-20-2011, 12:26
Ok, so it seems like transportation on either direction is doable. Howabout general trail tips? For folks familiar with these sections, which is nicer. 100 miles north of Delaware Water Gap or 100 miles south of Harpers Ferry?

Kerosene
08-20-2011, 13:16
which is nicer. 100 miles north of Delaware Water Gap or 100 miles south of Harpers Ferry?Both sections have their charms. To the south you will get to experience the northern half of Shenendoah National Park. More elevation change but a smoother trail surface makes for fast striding. Northern NJ is surprisingly pretty with a number of nice stretches. It's pretty rocky in places, but elevation changes are pretty tame. For a mid-September hike I'd probably do the northern section. You might also think about starting 100 miles south of Hanover, NH and catching a bus home, which might give you a little more leaf colors.

Slo-go'en
08-20-2011, 13:47
100 miles north of Delaware Water Gap or 100 miles south of Harpers Ferry?

While both of these sections have thier charms, neither in very exciting. Of course, both time I've done those sections it was blasted hot, and that might have colored my opinion of the areas. Of the two, I'd pick the NJ/NY streach.

But if your vaca week is in middle or late Sept, you really want to go to Vermont and catch some colors and crisp fall temps. (so long as the weather will be fair for the most part). Getting to the MA/VT border is no problem, a bus from Boston will get you there. Getting back will be the problem, as bus stops are few and far between up there. The easiest thing to do would be up and back, go north for a couple of days, then turn around and go back. I'm sure you'd hate to repeat a section of trial, but it is amazing how different it can seem to be from the other direction. For Vermont, I'd figure 12-15 mpd at the most.