PDA

View Full Version : Should I avoid Springer area during Fool's Gold Mountain Bike event?

hd.diver
08-16-2011, 11:30
Was going to hike Gooch Gap to Springer, wkend of 8/20. Fool's Gold Mountain Bike event is using USFS 42 and others not identified on my map. Will the area be a "zoo"? Bikes on AT? Parking area at Springer packed w/ these folks? Should I avoid area and hike somewhere else? Access to parking lot restricted/closed?

max patch
08-16-2011, 12:49
I don't have any specific knowledge of the event, but I took a look at the crappy map I found online and I don't think you will have any problems. They are not using FS42 from Elijay to the Springer lot so you will be able to drive and park there. They are not using FS42 from GA 60 (just N of Woody Gap) to Gooch Gap so you will be able to drive from the store to Gooch Gap. If your schedules match up, you should see the bikers from Hawk Mtn to Cooper Gap Rd when the AT drops down to 42. Bikes arn't allowed on the AT. I don't see anything that looks like a problem to me. Confirm all that with either the race organizers or the Forest Service.

WingedMonkey
08-16-2011, 13:17
Give the Hiker's Hostel a call they are a host and will be full. They can probably tell you what roads and parking are being used. 770-312-7342

There are SAG stop at USFS 42 and USFS 77/58 (Three Forks), also at USFS 42 at near Hawk Mt (Hightower Gap) and near Sassafras Mt. (Copper Gap).

Not likely to be any bikes on the AT, the ride is difficult enough already.