PDA

View Full Version : What is Shoulder Season Backpacking?

Mags
08-17-2011, 01:25
Hard to believe it is mid-August. Almost time for Fall Backpacking...and then shoulder season trips! Had some people ask me "what is shoulder season backpacking"..so here you go. :)

http://www.pmags.com/shoulder-season-backpacking-the-time-in-between

russb
08-17-2011, 06:24
Nice job!

The best part of shoulder season (and the off season) for me is "no bugs"!

I am not sure why you described the the need for gear to be different than "the typical 3-season gear". I always considered shoulder season to be included in the three seasons and winter gear to be the fourth. If the gear list is not adequate for shoulder season, it is not 3-season but summer gear. Then again we all know manufacturers often will push the stated limits of their gear for marketing purposes and gear stated to be 3-season is really only summer gear.

Again, nice job.

Ironbelly
08-17-2011, 07:22
My three season gear is typically adequate for the shoulder season as well. However, I will add in a pair of kahtoola microspikes for unexpected ice. And depending on the forecast may add in an additional layer of clothing. Typically just have cap 3 base, l/s hiking shirt, nano puff pullover, ecwcs goretex parka.

Sly
08-17-2011, 09:04
What's next a glamping column?

Mags
08-17-2011, 09:09
I am not sure why you described the the need for gear to be different than "the typical 3-season gear". I always considered shoulder season to be included in the three seasons and winter gear to be the fourth.

The high country of Colorado is a bit different than many places near the AT (norther New England/'daks are probably somewhat similar). :)

A thin blue foam pad works well in August; not so much in late September/early October.

However, I will add in a pair of kahtoola microspikes for unexpected ice. And depending on the forecast may add in an additional layer of clothing. Typically just have cap 3 base, l/s hiking shirt, nano puff pullover, ecwcs goretex parka.

Great example of what I was taking about: Pushing the edge of late Fall before the first extended snowfall means extra layers. (Though your three season list sound burly with the military grade shell! :) )

What's next a glamping column?

I'll leave that to you. ;)

Sly
08-17-2011, 09:35
Hey, you're right, I may have finally realized my niche. What wine is best served during shoulder season. :-?

russb
08-17-2011, 10:00
Thanks Mags. I guess I always thought of "the thin blue pad" as summer gear and not 3-season gear. It's all words anyway.

If you ever make it this way and are up for some Adirondack adventures, please feel free to drop me a line.

russb
08-17-2011, 10:00
Hey, you're right, I may have finally realized my niche. What wine is best served during shoulder season. :-?

I would have to say the wine the other guy carries is best. :)

Mags
08-17-2011, 11:02
If you ever make it this way and are up for some Adirondack adventures, please feel free to drop me a line.

Heard nothing but good things about your neck of the woods. Would love to be up there in the Fall!

The wine I don't have to carry? ;)

Tom Murphy
08-17-2011, 11:12
I find shoulder seasons in New England to be the most challenging time to backpack.
The spring offers water crossings swollen by snow melt, the snowshoe monorails left over from the winter hiking season, rotten snow, and snow fleas. Along with a transition to mud and and black flys. I try to avoid the whole mess by chasing the residing cold and snow north to ME and then switch over to hiking in southern CT.

The fall offers cold, wet weather with the chance of snow flurries on the ridges. I love it but it does lead to the heaviest pack weight of the year. There is no snow cover yet, so I can’t use my pulk. I still need the rain layers as well as my extra insulating layers.

Easier to find solitude though. Some of summer’s most popular shelters and backcountry camp sites are ghost towns between Halloween and Christmas.

Big Dawg
08-17-2011, 23:18
here at work,, and can't get the link. so... what is shoulder season backpacking?

Mags
08-21-2011, 13:26
here at work,, and can't get the link. so... what is shoulder season backpacking?

late Fall and early spring. Not quite winter. Think of it as Three Season Plus.

:)

Woof Shaven
10-21-2014, 20:37
Figures a Google search would lead me back to here to http://www.whiteblaze.net

http://www.pmags.com/shoulder-season-backpacking-the-time-in-between

I'm going cold weather camping this weekend. The bugs are gone, the leaves almost fallen, I wonder would be considered "Shoulder Season" in central Indiana right now?

quasarr
10-23-2014, 19:27
I believe the full name for Sand Dunes is "The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve"

Sorry but I watched the informational video there (yes I am the type of nerd who watches informational videos at national parks) and they said that name like 20 times ha ha ha!! :)

Mags
10-23-2014, 20:34
I believe the full name for Sand Dunes is "The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve"

Sorry but I watched the informational video there (yes I am the type of nerd who watches informational videos at national parks) and they said that name like 20 times ha ha ha!! :)

Then you can call my home state "State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"! :P
The smallest state with the longest name. Truly.

Beautiful place (Sand Dunes..maybe RI if I am feeling nice. ;) )

colorado_rob
10-24-2014, 07:27
When will this "shoulder season" start here in CO again Mags? Supposed to be 84 degrees in Denver today...

Heading up high again today, of course, best time of year in CO, generally, for hiking/climbing.

The Cleaner
10-24-2014, 08:26
Great time to be out in the Southern Apps...28750 The sunsets are great....

RED-DOG
10-24-2014, 11:43
Shoulder season and winter is my preffered time to hike.

BuckeyeBill
10-24-2014, 12:23
Great time to be out in the Southern Apps...28750 The sunsets are great....

Beautiful sunset Cleaner, thanks for sharing.