PDA

View Full Version : FT Gear Questions

Des
08-17-2011, 03:29
I am looking at a thruhike of the FT next year starting a little before New Years. I've never hiked any further south than Springer so I have a couple questions.

-Would running shoes be appropriate for the type of hiking down there?
I hiked the AT with my Asolo 520s. They fit very well with no blisters, but come in at almost 4 pounds for the pair and retain water like a bucket. (They keep it out too- I only got wet feet once when I decided to screw worrying about keeping my feet dry in the monsoon prior to a long zero at the NOC). I'd really like to switch to some lighter, more breathable footwear for hiking down there. I tried out so many trailrunners on the way north I can't keep them straight anymore and never found one that fit, so I'm hoping I can find a better fit in a regular running shoe.

-What temperature bag would you recommend for the hike?
I currently have a Montbell Spiral Down Hugger #0 (0*) and a Lafuma Extreme 650 (40*).

Thanks

mmais68569
08-17-2011, 08:10
As far as shoes go I hiked with the old style Golites & worked fine here in Florida. #1 thing to remember on the FT is you will have wet feet in a few places. At the southern terminus you start out in water ( if not at the start very soon after). Also in the panhandle area there is an area you will get wet, can not remember the name. As far as bag goes your 40 should be all right I use a 30 degree but that is what I have. Have fun & a safe hike if I can help you with a shower or shuttle in the Ocala area let me know.

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

grayfox
08-17-2011, 10:56
I did some hiking trips when I lived in FL and there are a few things that might surprise you about the trail there. First, it can be very cold in Florida. I have seen it sleeting sideways across the Sunshine Bridge! I would take a synthetic bag of a lower rating than you think you would need. The cold weather may not last but it will be miserably damp at times--also in the daytime so good rain protection will be appreciated.

Also, for all the water there, it is hard to find good drinking water sometimes. Ground water can be contaminated by chemicals and salt, which do not filter out. Take and extra container and ask the people you meet about water quality ahead. Also, hang your water like food as animals like racoons will try to get it in areas where the water is brackish.

Take good bug dope and watch out for scorpions and spiders which are year-round residents. Shake out your shoes and clothing as well as your bag and sheler before you use or pack them. Dry bag your exrta clothes and sleeping gear and use a pack cover as a first line of protection for your gear.

Trail runners are a good choice as well as water shoes. Leg protection is also a good idea-zip on pant legs or tall gaiters. I used tennis shoes with thick wool socks for the wet trails and got no blisters. Now I might add a thin wicking layer next to skin and see if that works--fabric technology has come a long ways and there might be a better option now. I remember walking for days in thigh deep water and thinking, 'Next climbable tree I come to, I'm just going up and staying there!'. The deep swamps were not my favorite--nests of ants in the trees, snakes swimming near your legs, dark water, and loud splashes ahead(alligators, pigs, bear?) And there is no place of safety that you can get to quickly--give me mountains any day.

Florida is an awesome place though--emphasis on 'awe'. Hope you have a great hike.

lilricky
08-17-2011, 15:45
The FT does have its challenges, both mental and physical. Your Asolo 520s might be a bit too watertight. Here on the FT, your feet will get wet, and you'll want them to dry ASAP. As for your bags, ideally a 20 degree bag would suit a FT thru-hike, so between the two bags, I would recommend taking the 0° bag. Its not unusual for temperatures to be in the low 20's even into the teens in the panhandle, and I would rather have to vent my bag because I was too hot, than shiver because I was too cold.

moytoy
08-17-2011, 16:29
In the dryest of years your going to get wet feet. In the wet years you will be wading in some area's. So shoes that dry fast are best. Contact the FTA for info on the trail. I believe there are still area's where you need permission to travel thru. If you'r traveling from S to N then a 30 degree bag might work. I guess it depends on when you plan to arrive in Central Fl. Any part of the trail in Brevard Cty and north and before April I would use a 20 degree bag.
I use a 20 down bag in Dec thru March 15 in the ONF.

Swamp_Stomper
08-18-2011, 08:08
I hike mostly in south Florida and Light weight Trailrunners are definitely the way to go. Most of trails have wet sections down here but that time of year is the driest. You should be able to get the names of the local section leaders through the FTA. They would be your best source for reports on trial conditions, drinkable water locations. It did get down in to the low 40s last year in the big cypress maybe even a little cooler. The only area from Tamiami trail to lake Okeechobee that you will need permission to hike through is the Indian reservation north of section 2 of the big cypress. Please make sure you get permission to cross through there they are very serious people.

Des
08-18-2011, 14:13
Thanks for all the comments.
I am planning on talking with the FTA and going through all the thruhiker permissions. I just have to wait until I see what my job schedule is going to be like this fall and spring before I can make any major decisions.

It sounds like the consensus on the shoes is to go for lightweight and breathable, so I'll go have a look what I can find for running shoes. Any thoughts on decent watershoes or should the running shoes cover that for me?

Worst comes to worst, I can take the weight hit and use my 0*- it will be hot, but livable. I am considering getting a 20-30* down bag to fill in between my current bags anyway, so it may work out to be my main bag for the FT. Not as nice as a synthetic for the FT, but lighter and more usable later on.

Shannan
08-18-2011, 20:53
I use these for water shoes and camp shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Merrell-Barefoot-Trail-Glove/dp/B004IHNHQK (http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Merrell-Barefoot-Trail-Glove/dp/B004IHNHQK)

i hike in these.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=montrail+sabino+trail&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=630&wrapid=tlif131371505462810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2120422602180067663&sa=X&ei=kbNNTqedNsHEgQenmayKBw&ved=0CHkQ8wIwAw#

They dry very fast.

Ladytrekker
09-15-2011, 12:36
Remember that on the FT you have some distances here and there on asphalt due to the road walks in the breaks of the trail. I have only hiked about 200 miles and so far my favorite section is White Springs to Suwannee River State Park it is a beautiful stretch along the Suwannee River. Somewhat hilly with small ravines but keeps it interesting. We have had a drought this year so check with people about water stops. I have drank my share of river and pond water with no instances but due filter and the water color is usually in the browns very little clear water but tastes OK.

I say this because heavy boots on hot asphalt not fun. But I think you will enjoy the FT. Lets us know when you start your hike maybe we can help with some logistics along the way.

WingedMonkey
09-15-2011, 13:23
About the tannin brown waters of the Suwannee and St. Marys rivers:

Legend has it that 16th and 17th century European ships would sail 50 miles up the river to fill their casks with freshwater from the St. Marys for their voyage back across the Atlantic. The water was highly prized because the tannin content ensured the water would remain potable for long periods of time.

bus
09-19-2011, 21:03
I have hiked some of the central Florida sections-the Econ river section is 'awesome'. Both times we hiked that area, it got cold. In late February, one hike we found little icicles on the tent lines.

I used a Marmot Trestles 15. It is a lower priced bag, maybe o ta don the heavy side, but it kept me warm. I have the Pounder ( a 45* bag) I would have froze in that. Bring layers, and a good outer rain shell. Our cold is a very wet cold.

Are you staring in the south? That may be a better plan, weather-wise. Doing a journal? Maybe we can do a Central FL section together.

Red Dawn
09-25-2011, 21:20
merrel trail gloves are the best shoes for FT IMO

JoelHikingDude
09-28-2011, 17:09
The "brackish" water is not bad, in fact, the decaying vegetation in the water is what gives it its color. it makes the water slightly acidic, so it kills most of the bacteria in it. Also if you find water on a spring, its about as pure as anyone on earth can make it. Its been filtering for the last 75 to 100 years.

I hiked the southern section of the Ocala Forest, near Alexander springs. I didnt use a sleeping bag, i used a bag liner, which a sleeping bag made out of a fleece. of course, this is summer.

One thing I recommend is running shoes, like the one's Shannan posted. I use some inexpensive Saucony shoes i got at Sports authority and they do just fine, and dry quickly. Dont think about beating the water in Fl just get dry quickly is a better approach.

Also: i dont know how bad are the trails up there, like the AT, but from the pictures I've seen it looks like a small road. Dont get used to that, here some of the section have all but disappeared. some of the trees have been hit by lighting and exploded or burned so no blazes. the vegetation is over grown so you will be doing some Bush whacking. instead of the "green tunnel" you will be in a "sandy prairie" here and there.

I carried a log light wood stick, like a twig and waved it at all times in front of me. This got the spider webs before my face did. In the morning they get full of dew and you can see just how many hundreds there are all around you.

Wear some leg protection, some long pants or gaiters. you should spray them with permethrin spray from the pharmacy. then always wear DEET on your legs, and anywhere pretty much. I was surprised to find about 50 fleas, some quite big and already dug into my skin, in juts 7 miles of hiking. Bugs and insect rule in FL.

Good luck.

JoelHikingDude
09-28-2011, 17:11
I meant ticks, ticks and i guess there where fleas too. Not a nice thing to find when you roll out you sock and they looks like little red grains of sand.