PDA

View Full Version : Help me with meal planning for my SNP AT Hike...

inabag
08-17-2011, 10:41
I am going to be hiking either completely through SNP or from 33/elkton to the north end. I have not decided which yet, its a difference of about 30-40 miles. I only have 4.5 days to hike, so just need to decide how hard I want to push it.

That issue aside - I need help with meal planning.

I am not taking a stove. I will be carrying only non-cook food.
I am hoping to eat/resupply at waysides in the park.
I will most likely put together some cereal/dried fruit/powdered milk ziplocs for breakfast. I was thinking about carrying some cheese/sausage for lunches. I was also thinking about taking some sort of bars/chews/etc for snacks. Where I am lost is dinners...and also planning in the wayside meals and resupply.

I understand I can't get detailed planning without giving you all a detailed itinerary, so instead - can I just get some overall feedback on how many lunch/dinners I should pack and how many I should expect to be able to eat at waysides and with resupply in the park? I would like to start off with as little as possible and continue that trend for the 4-5 days.

My understanding is that there is a good eat in wayside at Big Meadows and at Elkwallow. (Also Loft Mt if I end up starting at the sound end). Aside from that what are my options if any? Does the Skyland Restaurant except smelly dirty hikers? Also what is the edicate for having my pack on inside/at the supply stops and waysides?

One last thing...are there piped springs in the park? Do I need to treat water from these if so?

Thanks!

ScottP
08-17-2011, 12:54
I am going to be hiking either completely through SNP or from 33/elkton to the north end. I have not decided which yet, its a difference of about 30-40 miles. I only have 4.5 days to hike, so just need to decide how hard I want to push it.

The miles in the Shenandoah are pretty easy.

That issue aside - I need help with meal planning.

I am not taking a stove. I will be carrying only non-cook food.
I am hoping to eat/resupply at waysides in the park.
NOt much more than junk food and fast food in the waysides if my memory serves me correctly. Might be able to supplement your snacks and grab a burger and some ice cream. Also, check dates--not sure if these things are run seasonally or year round. I resupplied non-stove food from one of these stores. Wasn't very happy about having to live off of wheat thins and cookies for days.

I will most likely put together some cereal/dried fruit/powdered milk ziplocs for breakfast. I was thinking about carrying some cheese/sausage for lunches. I was also thinking about taking some sort of bars/chews/etc for snacks. Where I am lost is dinners...and also planning in the wayside meals and resupply.

Non-cook dinners: Tabouleh (put the olive oil/lemon juice/green onions in little 1 pint water bottles), dehydrated hummus+pita/corn chips/dehydrated veggies, roasted edamame, yam-jerky, bean salad, etc.

I understand I can't get detailed planning without giving you all a detailed itinerary, so instead - can I just get some overall feedback on how many lunch/dinners I should pack and how many I should expect to be able to eat at waysides and with resupply in the park? I would like to start off with as little as possible and continue that trend for the 4-5 days.

My understanding is that there is a good eat in wayside at Big Meadows and at Elkwallow. (Also Loft Mt if I end up starting at the sound end). Aside from that what are my options if any? Does the Skyland Restaurant except smelly dirty hikers? Also what is the edicate for having my pack on inside/at the supply stops and waysides?

I don't remember having issues eating in the restaurants in the Shenandoah. I don't think they'll let you bring a full sized pack into a restaurant, not sure about waysides.

One last thing...are there piped springs in the park? Do I need to treat water from these if so?

Depends on what you mean by 'need.' The water in the Shenandoah is good, but it's a pretty crowded area. I'd feel OK drinking water, many wouldn't.