PDA

View Full Version : Footwear Advice Needed

nashste
08-17-2011, 16:31
I'm fairly new to backpacking and I need advice on footwear. My base load will be around 20lbs and I want something that can handle day trips to 3-4 day back packing trips. I've been leaning toward a light hiking shoe like the Patagonia Drifter AC, but I'm worried that my load might be too heavy for these, especially on multi day trips. Any advice is appreciated.

bigmac_in
08-17-2011, 17:18
Lots of information on here. My advice is to try the search feature in forums.

Personal advice is to wear a trail runner - go out and try some on until you find something that is comfortable on your foot.

leaftye
08-17-2011, 17:38
I've carried over 60 pounds on shoes that weighed about half the weight of lightweight trail running shoes, so I certainly don't believe that there's such a thing as too much weight for a certain type of true, at least as far as support goes. You will feel the ground more, but the extra weight in your pack is pretty small compared to your minimum pack weight and your body weight. With the Vibram sole in those shoes I don't think that'll be a problem at all.

bert304
08-17-2011, 20:31
When I go hiking, I am carrying about 35 lbs and I have no problem wearing light weight trail shoes. I prefer the Merrell Moab mid height for extra support.

Blissful
08-17-2011, 22:06
For that load, a good trail runner, properly fitted by a professional for your foot type, will do just fine. If you go longer - I'd also suggest Superfeet insoles for support

TheStu
08-18-2011, 21:43
I like trail runners too, but make sure to consider where you will be using them. Boulders, roots and puddle jumping (I did the West Coast Trail up in BC this summer, and there was plenty of all three) are all a lot safer with some ankle support. Even with a 10 pound baseweight I've still managed to roll my ankle, though I continue to use trail runners :)

Chaco Taco
09-08-2011, 23:12
I'm fairly new to backpacking and I need advice on footwear. My base load will be around 20lbs and I want something that can handle day trips to 3-4 day back packing trips. I've been leaning toward a light hiking shoe like the Patagonia Drifter AC, but I'm worried that my load might be too heavy for these, especially on multi day trips. Any advice is appreciated.
GO somewhere, get fitted and try on everything you are curious about. Go based on what fits your foot best. Everyone's feet are different.