PDA

View Full Version : Toes Socks Experience Anyone?

Mr. Toad
08-17-2011, 18:01
I am curious about the five toed socks that are being sold. I have been told that they are the answer to blisters. It seems to make sense in that there is a barrier between your toes, reducing the friction and chance of blisters. On the other hand it also introduces additional material into the toe box of your boot, potentially crowding your toes. I will probably buy a pair to test, but I was curious if anyone out there had any positive or negative experience to share. Lastly, there are multiple manufacturers like Foot Mate, Smartwool and Injinji, so please specify which sock you are referencing. Thanks in advance for any heads up you can offer.

ChinMusic
08-17-2011, 18:24
I tried em. Didn't like em. If a toe bothers me now, I just tape it. YMMV

rsmout
08-17-2011, 19:40
I use Injini NuWool. Never a toe blister on the SNP earlier this summer and the C&O Canal Trail this spring. I think they wear out faster than most socks, but the extra miles are worth it to me.

grayfox
08-18-2011, 08:31
I like mine. I bought two sizes and like the smaller ones better. I would say, size down to the smallest comfortable fit for your feet, otherwise they bunch up just like regular socks do.

dzierzak
08-18-2011, 08:38
Injinji - tried them, liked them. No matter what I do in terms of socks and footwear, I usually end up with blisters somewhere. With the toe socks, I've had the least ever. Now to tweek this latest combination...

max patch
08-18-2011, 09:14
I don't wear them, but injinji's 5 toe socks absolutely cured my Dad's blister problem. Its the only sock he wears now (even when not hiking).

Kerosene
08-18-2011, 09:21
They're great if you're subject to blisters on your toes due to them rubbing against each other. I used to use the gel toe caps (and foam toe caps before then that I didn't like), which worked okay but didn't allow the skin to breathe. I have a few pairs of Injinji's that work great, except that I find that they get hot when it's warm out, especially as I use them as liners. They also take a lot longer to dry out.

Rain Man
08-18-2011, 09:43
I bought two pair of Injinji and wore them on two section hikes. I rarely have a history of blisters, but these gave me blisters when I used them instead of my ordinary liner socks. Also, they don't dry out very fast, so my toes tended to stay wet. I have one hiking buddy who swears by them, but I don't.

But for around the house or out and about? I like 'em fine. Plus, they work with my leather "thongs" aka flip-flops, so not a total waste.

Rain Man

Mr. Toad
08-18-2011, 11:39
Thanks to everyone for their input. I am getting back into hking after 25 year layoff (kids and stuff, you know), its great to have this feedback as I come up to speed on all the new gear.

ChinMusic
08-18-2011, 11:49
But for around the house or out and about? I like 'em fine. Plus, they work with my leather "thongs" aka flip-flops, so not a total waste.

Thank you for adding "aka flip-flops"...........

Rain Man
08-18-2011, 14:37
Thank you for adding "aka flip-flops"...........

Yeah, I knew if I didn't add that it'd be like leaving my butt hanging out for someone to kick! LOL

Rain:sunMan

DLANOIE
08-18-2011, 16:32
Rain Man...didn't need that image in my head, geez!;)

Rain Man
08-18-2011, 21:04
Rain Man...didn't need that image in my head, geez!;)

Apologies to all for the mental image! Butt I'm blaming ChinMusic... he started it! :D

Rain:sunMan