PDA

View Full Version : how much water do most people carry on through hike

nelson7fl
08-17-2011, 19:17
wandering how much water someone typicality carryies on a through hike trying to figure out what size bladder to get and how much water else wise.

ChinMusic
08-17-2011, 19:22
For section hikes (same thing as a thru), I typically carry one 32-oz Gatorade bottle and a 3 or 4L collapsible container. I rarely need more than the 32-oz bottle while moving as there are so many sources of water. For cases where I know water may be an issue the collapsible container would come into play to supplement. Once at camp (or just before a dry camp) I will fill the collapsible container for the evening. That is usu plenty to get me going in the morning.

Mrs Baggins
08-17-2011, 19:28
I always carry a full 2 liter bladder for the daytime, and a 4 liter "fetch bag" that I fill when I stop for the night. The 4 liter bag gets me thru dinner, hot tea, breakfast and coffee, and refills the 2 liter bladder for the next day. I drink every ounce of that 2 liters on any hike between 7 - 12 miles.

Rocket Jones
08-17-2011, 19:58
I carry a gatoraid bottle, a nalgene and a 2 liter collapsable bottle. The gatoraid is my "flavor" bottle, which I use for lemonade and other mixes, and the 2 liter gets filled in the evening as mentioned above.

max patch
08-17-2011, 19:59
2 liters.

On a rare occasion I'll buy an extra qt of gatorade in town and keep the bottle for a 3rd liter.. I didn't have to do this on my thru; this is something that you'll figure out easily enough.

I started my thur with 1 liter and added the 2nd liter in Damascus. It was clear that 1 liter was not enough.

Spirit Walker
08-17-2011, 22:42
For Eastern hiking, I'll carry two gatorade bottles to get me through the day and a 4 liter water bag to collect enough to get me through the night without having to go back and forth to the water source.

wcgornto
08-17-2011, 22:51
On my thru hike, I carried a 2 liter Camelback bladder, a 2 liter Platypus and a 1 liter Powerade bottle.

The Camelback was for hydration during the day while walking. The Platypus was for water at camp for dinner, breakfast, etc. The Powerade bottle was for mixing and drinking my breakfast shake and for spot use along the trail to down a liter at a water source on a long day or hot day when the 2 liters in the Camelback would not be enough. I never carried more than two liters of water in my pack.

peakbagger
08-18-2011, 07:28
One great way to reduce weight on thru hike is minimize carrying water. Unless its drought conditions, using any one of the AT guides will show you where the next reliable water is. Rather than carrying extra, plna on refilling along the way. It takes awhile to get used to as most folks want to tank up in the AM. But the odds are that in most spots on the AT, there is water every few miles. I wouldnt recomend winging it, but it doesnt take long to scan the guide in the AM and determine where the next water is. I carry a 2 liter MSR bladder and a couple of gatoraide bottles that are usually empty.

daddytwosticks
08-18-2011, 07:29
Gatoraide or some type of lightweight disposable bottles while hiking. Usually no more than 1.5 liters worth. Some sort of collapsable platy bag (either 2l or 4l) for fetching water for camp. :)

Old Hiker
08-18-2011, 08:11
I carry two 64 ounce juice bottles and try to keep them full. This past summer, from Fontana to NOC, the water was low. The "reliable" sources were small and silty and some of the "unofficial" sources weren't there at all. We could actually hear the water running (not dripping!) under a rock garden, but nothing on the surface.

bigcranky
08-18-2011, 08:18
I remember my first hiking partner, he'd never been backpacking before, and he thought we'd need to carry all our water for the whole trip in our packs. Needless to say, that might get kinda heavy for a thru-hike.

I carry a pair of 2-liter soda bottles, usually with one full and one half-full, along with a 4-liter bag for collecting and treating water at night. I'll drink a liter before I start hiking for the day, then the 1.5 liters will last until lunch, where I'll tank up again and hike until dinner.

garlic08
08-18-2011, 09:00
I got used to arid conditions on some long hikes in the West before I hiked the AT. So on the AT I often hiked with no water at all in my pack, and would often drink and dump what I had before a stiff climb. But I hiked early in a wet year and it was hard to keep one's feet dry, there was so much spring water on the trail. I carried one 1-liter soda bottle for hiking, and one 2-liter bladder for dry camps. There were a few dry stretches of trail where I had to walk with more than one liter at a time, but only a few and they were well-documented in the guidebook I had.

By the way, it's easy to increase your carrying capacity at nearly any roadway crossing. Extra water bottles are usually strewn all over the ground.

This is a good question. I agree with Peakbagger that managing the water carried in your pack is an important part of controlling the weight you carry, and therefore how much you enjoy your hike. But you won't enjoy your hike if you get thirsty, either.

QiWiz
08-21-2011, 20:42
On my Springer to Hot Springs section this spring, the most I carried was two 20 oz gatorade bottles. I stopped at water sources to "camel-up" more or less frequently depending on conditions. Used two 2-liter platypuses for dinner/night/breakfast/heading out in AM.

ScottP
08-21-2011, 21:40
usually carry 0 or 1 liters

3L of maximum capacity is fine

ScottP
08-21-2011, 21:43
I heard a lot of talk about sources being dry on my section this summer.

Every single time a person told me that a source in my guidebook was dry I found water without a problem.

Lyle
08-21-2011, 22:36
I usually carry 1.5 or 2 liters when I take off in the morning. Some days that is enough, other days, I fill up again at lunch. I like to drink plenty, so I don't skimp too much. It all also depends on the weather and how dependable your sources are throughout the day. There have been times I've carried four or five liters if it was going to be a dry camp. Not pleasant to carry that much, but can be done fairly easily.

Some have mentioned not carrying much and drinking from every source they pass. I've done that, but you increase your risk of a contaminated drink with every different source you use. Just something to consider.

You will soon learn to judge how much you will need. Just make sure to always know where your next dependable source is. This varies depending on the year, month, weather.

nelson7fl
08-23-2011, 21:24
thank you all for your input at first was thinking of bringing 3 liter camel back and 2 Gatorade bottles. now i think i will just get a 2 liter hydration pack and then something for camp and stuff thanks again to all the input.

Trailbender
08-24-2011, 00:00
I carried 2 liters, with a 2.4 liter platy. Combined it was enough for dinner, through the night, and breakfast, and a mostly full bottle to start the day with. I was glad I had it, as the water was a pain to get at in several places, and a second trip for water would have been a pain.

ROCKY RACOON
09-07-2011, 07:16
DEHYDRATION... FILTRATION PUMPS??? I'm heading out with my son for a section hike the first week of October. This will be our second trip. We did the new jersey stretch last summer in mostly 90 degree weather which was brutal. In the middle of our journey we came upon a 4 mile stretch that had no water source (We did not know this). We entered this potion with very little water and by the time we got a little less than half way I started to experience dehydration symptoms. My 26 year old son went ahead while I rested in the shade under a tree. He hiked 2-1/2 miles ahead for a round trip time of less than one hour 20 min and brought me back life saving water. Thank God my son was with me. I love him... Anyway, I just purchased a 2 liter bladder for my pack and will never move forward into an area without sufficient water again. I also purchased a water filtration pump. Is this overkill? From a comfort point of view we do use filtration bottles that I found to be very efficient and practical. Any comments?

WILLIAM HAYES
09-11-2011, 01:02
2 liters when hiking also carry a 2 liter water carrier for camp

bflorac
09-11-2011, 01:21
In the heat I can sweat a LOT. So I carry 2 liters in hydration pack and fill it to the brim any time I can. I also have 1 liter Gatorade bottle that I can fill when I expect it to be dry for a while or just as a backup. One problem with a hydration pack is that it hard to tell just how much water you have left. I hate being 1/2 way up a hill in the sun and run out of water. I know one can go a long way without water but I would rather be safe than sorry. Then again, I have also dumped extra water when I want to lighten my load towards the end of the day. The Gatorade bottle also serves as a bottle to mix powered drinks ins or exchange for a REAL bottle of Gatorade if you can get one. At camp, I have a 4 liter tote bag that I haul to to the water source and fill. From this I pump water for dinner and the next day.

Deacon
09-11-2011, 08:30
Agree that carrying 2 liters is enough for the AT. For those who like to carry a hydration bag, I suggest going with a 3 liter bag but only fill it with 2 liters of water. That way the bag isn't stretched tight, and will help guard against leaking in you pack.

jeramie75
09-25-2011, 21:39
I typically use a 3L and try the technique of only filling with 2L but I always find myself with more than 2L.

sly dog
09-26-2011, 09:40
To each their own but I never carried more than 2L in two 1L bottles. Water weighs too much to carry unnessessary amounts. I do carry a 2gal water bag I fill when I get to camp and hang it from a tree. I'll use this for dinner and to top off my bottles in the morning. I prefer bottles so I can see how much I have left at a glance. Had friends that had bladders leak so I think I'll stick with my bottles.

IrishBASTARD
09-26-2011, 09:53
For thru hikers (DIfferent from section) I would carry two 32oz at least on my daily hike...and at least a 2l container for camp cooking and other needs. Though I have been hearing about PA massive drilling in the areas that are disrupting the water table...not sure how close to A.T if at all near it. All of PA I am going to try and buy my water do to this. Anyone else have concerns over gas drilling and drinking water near these areas...if they exist now or perhaps in the future? Also the Hike I did in Mon National park last weekend was a failure...my water sac bursted and soaked my gear. Anyone else have this issue...yes I made sure it was properly sealed.

sly dog
09-26-2011, 12:02
For thru hikers (DIfferent from section) How are there differences on carring water for thru and sections? Or do you mean day hikes? When I go out for a couple of weeks, I carried water the same way my brother carried on his thru.

sly dog
09-26-2011, 12:03
Oops, now I see you said day hikes. My bad

dillard
09-26-2011, 14:42
I recently did a large section(550 miles) and started using my 3L camelbak. I kept having water left at days end and quickly got tired of carrying the extra weight. The solution was to either use 2 1L gatoraid bottles or only fill the bladder to 2L since that was all I ever needed in a day. The only time I found myself refilling during the day was when there was lots of climbing on a day with higher temps, and even then water could almost always be found somewhere along the way that day.

One nice thing about keeping an empty bladder and carrying 2 bottles is that most packs have outer pockets for bottles so you don't have the bladder taking up pack space, but when you get to camp the bladder is nice to have with you so you can make a single trip to the afternoon water source. Having the capability to carry 5L of water also opens up the option of moving on to a camp spot for the night which does not have water but might offer a better view or just more solitude than a shelter.

Tree Nerd
01-15-2013, 19:23
Though I have been hearing about PA massive drilling in the areas that are disrupting the water table...not sure how close to A.T if at all near it. All of PA I am going to try and buy my water do to this. Anyone else have concerns over gas drilling and drinking water near these areas...if they exist now or perhaps in the future?

If your talking about fracking, I don't think you have anything to worry about with spring water. From what I understand, fracking usually only effects deep water tables.

Right now I carry one 32oz bottle and a 1.5L cammelbak and a filter. When I do my SOBO thru this year I am going to carry just two 32oz. bottles and my filter. The cammelbak takes up too much space, has the chance to leak, and doesn't secure well to the outside of my pack. I put my cammelbak on the outside of my pack with its carrying case because its easy to access and if i need to I can carry it comfortably.

BigHodag
01-15-2013, 19:41
I carry two 1L soda bottles as they fit better in my side pockets than a Gatorade bottle. When I needed extra water for a particular section, I bought a soda and then used the bottle after consuming the contents.

Last year I opted to carry a 3-4L mylar bladder from a Starbucks coffee box for extra water. I don't bother to purify this water as I will either boil it for meals or pour into a bottle and drop iodine tablets.

aficion
01-15-2013, 20:26
I carry my water in my body while hiking. Course the southern Apps are loaded with springs. I don't filter or treat spring water from the source. If downstream from the spring, or with iffy looking water I use iodine, bleach or aqua mira. A plastic cup works for me. I drink throughout the day from sources on or near the trail. In camp I use a 3oz, ten liter bucket.

Josh Calhoun
01-15-2013, 20:44
2 32oz gatoraid bottles and camel up at water sources. sometimes carry a MT 20 oz bottle also just in case

Dr. Professor
01-15-2013, 21:07
Assuming normal AT conditions:

I drink my fill at water source, then completely fill my 3L platypus. I then drink off the weight of the first liter or so of water over the next twenty minutes of hiking. This means I only carry the extra liter of weight for a little while and am thoroughly hydrated after that with two liters left in the bag.

Bucho
01-18-2013, 00:22
wandering how much water someone typicality carryies on a through hike trying to figure out what size bladder to get and how much water else wise.
It depends. I tried to bring enough water so that I could get to the next water source without going thirsty. I also didn't want to cart around useless extra water weight. In the south in the spring that was generally 1 liter. But I'd check the book and make sure there was more water. If I was hiking a ridge where there was no access to water through the day, I'd bring 2 liters. In NY in July there was a horrible drought and I typically hiked with 2 liters but I was still looking ahead and there were times where I carried 4 liters.

Bucho
01-18-2013, 00:34
In terms of buying a water bladder, your pack likely has a pocket designed to hold a water bladder. What size is that pocket? (likely 2 or 3 liters) I'd recommend getting whatever fits your pack. If it's larger than you often need, well you're carrying an extra 1 or 2 oz. Really not that big of a deal. If you find that sometimes you could use more capacity, you can always pick up a Gatorade bottle or even two.

garlic08
01-18-2013, 09:57
I carry my water in my body while hiking. Course the southern Apps are loaded with springs. I don't filter or treat spring water from the source. If downstream from the spring, or with iffy looking water I use iodine, bleach or aqua mira. A plastic cup works for me. I drink throughout the day from sources on or near the trail.

Assuming normal AT conditions:

I drink my fill at water source, then completely fill my 3L platypus. I then drink off the weight of the first liter or so of water over the next twenty minutes of hiking. This means I only carry the extra liter of weight for a little while and am thoroughly hydrated after that with two liters left in the bag.

Here we see polar opposites in the space of three threads, and each system works for the user. It makes one wonder why one bothers to ask advice on an internet forum. Just go out hiking and figure out what works for you. (Then you can give advice on the internet!) If you make a mistake on the AT, you won't die of thirst--that usually takes a couple of days. It ain't exactly a desert out there.

Lyle
01-18-2013, 10:18
Here we see polar opposites in the space of three threads, and each system works for the user. It makes one wonder why one bothers to ask advice on an internet forum. Just go out hiking and figure out what works for you. (Then you can give advice on the internet!) If you make a mistake on the AT, you won't die of thirst--that usually takes a couple of days. It ain't exactly a desert out there.

Well, yeah, they got answers from both extremes, but I think the majority of folks stated they carry between one and two liters while hiking, and have extra reserve for dry sections or for at camp. This seems to be a very good starting point for a new hiker, and good information for someone who had no idea what they should plan on carrying. As they develop their own opinion on the matter, they can adjust in which ever direction they feel is appropriate.

I think it was a pretty informative thread for the new hiker, without personal experience, so served it's purpose well.

garlic08
01-18-2013, 13:20
...I think it was a pretty informative thread for the new hiker, without personal experience, so served it's purpose well.

You're right, I was just being snarky.

Tree Nerd
01-18-2013, 14:55
In terms of buying a water bladder, your pack likely has a pocket designed to hold a water bladder. What size is that pocket? (likely 2 or 3 liters) I'd recommend getting whatever fits your pack. If it's larger than you often need, well you're carrying an extra 1 or 2 oz. Really not that big of a deal. If you find that sometimes you could use more capacity, you can always pick up a Gatorade bottle or even two.

Personally, I dont like doint this. It takes up space in the pack, your body temp warms the water, and its hard access/fill (unless you use a filter that pumps down the hose), and if the bladder leaks it leaks on everything in your pack. I tend to strap it to the outside of my pack with its pack so I can get to it easy, carry it to water sources if need be, or use it for a day hike. I am going to try something new this year and ditch the bladder all together.

shelb
01-19-2013, 12:47
...at first was thinking of bringing 3 liter camel back and 2 Gatorade bottles. now i think i will just get a 2 liter hydration pack and then something for camp and stuff thanks again to all the input.

My husband bought a 3liter bladder because he hikes with scouts and wanted to be sure to have plenty of water in case someone needed it. He found that the 3 liter is a pain to get into the bladder pocket of his pack, and it presents a challenge to getting his pack weight balanced.

bobp
01-19-2013, 14:00
My husband bought a 3liter bladder because he hikes with scouts and wanted to be sure to have plenty of water in case someone needed it. He found that the 3 liter is a pain to get into the bladder pocket of his pack, and it presents a challenge to getting his pack weight balanced.

Scout Leader's Disease :^). I have a 6 liter bladder for the same reason. It gives me a little extra work on the trail, but it is way lighter than hiking a kid out. I've heard it said here that your pack weight is determined by your fears. Yep. Any Scouter with a lick of sense and a bit of imagination has a lot of fear :^). Don't even start about my first aid kit....

Bucho
01-20-2013, 01:41
Personally, I dont like doint this. It takes up space in the pack, your body temp warms the water, and its hard access/fill (unless you use a filter that pumps down the hose), and if the bladder leaks it leaks on everything in your pack. *shrug* They're popular with a lot of people for a reason. It's all a matter of your setup, some packs do a much better job of letting you get your bladder in and out than others and using a pack liner has the side benefit of keeping your gear dry in the unlikely event of a leak.

RockDoc
02-02-2013, 18:02
Two liters, although they are rarely full (only when going to camp for the night).
I study the map and talk to other hikers and avoid carrying water uphill like the plague.
It's the heaviest single thing that we carry, so why not save 4 lbs when you can (a pint is a pound the world around)?

DonnaWalken
02-14-2013, 04:21
It's 2 liters for a day hike for me. Longer, more water. :)

Another Kevin
02-14-2013, 12:20
I'm jsut a clueless weekender, but I can't imagine that carrying water is any different between a weekend, a section and a thru.

3 seasons: 2-litre Camelbak, 1-litre Nalgene. I don't always have the Nalgene full. I may carry more if I'm on something like the Catskill Escarpment Trail, where I have to lose 500-1000 feet of elevation to get down to water sources in dry weather. (Tank up at North Lake, the spring in Dutcher Notch, and the Batavia Kill. There are no reliable water sources on Arizona Plateau.) I carry a filter because it gets me water immediately, no waiting for chemicals to work. In fine weather I'll sometimes carry a Sea to Summit bucket. It can haul untreated water, which is fine to have at a dry camp. I can filter as I need it. It's also fine for washing socks, dishes (untreated is fine for soapy water, a quick splash of treated water to rinse), or me. And it's a bucket of water to have handy if I have a campfire.

Winter: 2 1-litre Nalgenes and a 1-litre Thermos. The Nalgenes are wrapped in extra socks and carried upside down, and if I have the fuel or have a fire going they get filled with hot water. The Thermos has hot water so that I can make soup or tea in a hurry without needing to boil a billy. I don't take the Camelbak because no matter what I do, the hose freezes. If I carry my filter, it has to ride someplace it won't freeze, so I may resort to Aqua Mira instead.

Buttercup01
04-23-2015, 03:37
I take long hikes; usually 25 to 30 miles a day. My water plan is to carry one liter for every 5 miles. So, 10 miles between reliable water sources keeps my water load to 2 liters. I use a 3 liter bladder for those long stretches or when water sources are unreliable.

perdidochas
04-23-2015, 16:50

It's hard to be a Scout leader and an ultralight hiker :-) Most of us pack for our fears, but being a scout leader, you pack for fears for your Scouts.

For backpacking with the Scouts, we tell the boys that the minimum they should carry is 2-L. On our last trip, we had one or two boys that only carried a liter. They got thirsty and cranky when we hiked through a 3+ mile dry area on the trail (Sipsey Wilderness).

perdidochas
04-23-2015, 16:51
Scout Leader's Disease :^). I have a 6 liter bladder for the same reason. It gives me a little extra work on the trail, but it is way lighter than hiking a kid out. I've heard it said here that your pack weight is determined by your fears. Yep. Any Scouter with a lick of sense and a bit of imagination has a lot of fear :^). Don't even start about my first aid kit....

Yup. I generally start a hike with 4-L. My 2-L hydration bag, and two 1-liter Nalgenes. Can't go quite as minimalist as I would like to go.

perdidochas
04-23-2015, 16:54
Yup. I generally start a hike with 4-L. My 2-L hydration bag, and two 1-liter Nalgenes. Can't go quite as minimalist as I would like to go.

Also carry a 1 gallon container for camp water--a Sonic bulk tea container, and use a Sawyer gravity/squeeze system for filtration.

The Splitter
04-23-2015, 18:52
I've been carrying 2L lately but on my trip this next week I'm going to be carrying 0 as there is water everywhere. I typically hydrate heavily the night before and the morning of so I don't really start needing water until I've gone several miles and I'll stop and chug a liter whenever I come across a water source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredt4
04-23-2015, 20:39
It's hard to be a Scout leader and an ultralight hiker :-) Most of us pack for our fears, but being a scout leader, you pack for fears for your Scouts.

For backpacking with the Scouts, we tell the boys that the minimum they should carry is 2-L. On our last trip, we had one or two boys that only carried a liter. They got thirsty and cranky when we hiked through a 3+ mile dry area on the trail (Sipsey Wilderness).

Our scout master had us carry his gear. Wonder why so much it got lost on the trail?

full conditions
04-24-2015, 07:49
I rarely carry more than 1L (which I use a gatoraid bottle for) here in the Southern Appalachians and I carry a 2L collapsible platypus for camp and the occasional situation where I need to carry a bit more. These are wet mountains though.

Traveler
04-24-2015, 08:27
I rarely carry more than 1L (which I use a gatoraid bottle for) here in the Southern Appalachians and I carry a 2L collapsible platypus for camp and the occasional situation where I need to carry a bit more. These are wet mountains though.

I do pretty much the same thing, though I use a bladder system appropriate for the season. How much I carry can vary depending on how frequently I want to stop to load water and/or how dry conditions are versus how reliable the water sources are at the time. Usually conditions dictate if I carry more than a liter though.

perdidochas
04-24-2015, 11:08
Our scout master had us carry his gear. Wonder why so much it got lost on the trail?

And that is why I carry my own gear.....

Cedar1974
06-24-2015, 11:41
Honestly, how much water you carry depends on the person, and the weather conditions. I for one have suffered from Heat Exhaustion when I was young, ever since then, I am very susceptible to dehydration and other heat related illness. So in my case I would most likely carry twice as much water as the average person because I simply need it. Just something to consider.

Wyoming
06-27-2015, 16:59
I went on a 4 hour hike today in AZ with shade temps right at 100 F and there is no shade so likely 110-112 the last 2 hours. Did 10 miles with about 2000 ft of gain. Took 3 liters which were gone by the time I got back to my car. When I got home I weighed 2 lbs less than when I left. So by definition I lost about 4 liters or 1 per hour. I could tell that one more liter would have been nice to have.

It all depends on how one sweats and the conditions.

rocketsocks
06-28-2015, 03:53
I like to carry 4 to 6 lbs. worth of water, 8 if it's real hot a summer.

Tea In The Trees
08-19-2015, 03:57
DEHYDRATION... FILTRATION PUMPS??? I'm heading out with my son for a section hike the first week of October. This will be our second trip. We did the new jersey stretch last summer in mostly 90 degree weather which was brutal. In the middle of our journey we came upon a 4 mile stretch that had no water source (We did not know this). We entered this potion with very little water and by the time we got a little less than half way I started to experience dehydration symptoms. My 26 year old son went ahead while I rested in the shade under a tree. He hiked 2-1/2 miles ahead for a round trip time of less than one hour 20 min and brought me back life saving water. Thank God my son was with me. I love him... Anyway, I just purchased a 2 liter bladder for my pack and will never move forward into an area without sufficient water again. I also purchased a water filtration pump. Is this overkill? From a comfort point of view we do use filtration bottles that I found to be very efficient and practical. Any comments?

I dont think its overkill really. In the hot temps, heat related injury can come on quite fast. Put that with dehydration and you have a recipe for a huge problem. My wife and I tend to take 2 liter bladders, & 2 20oz bottles during 6-10 mile stretches without water (just incase we need to stop/camp/etc). We are about to do a section of the DRT which may have 15-17 miles without water, so we have a backup bladder to hook to incase, so 4 liters of water.

I think that when it comes to water, you should do what you think is best, and stay safe. Without water, we will die, period.

I'd rather have to much water than not enough. Its easy to shed weight later and dump it, its not easy to find it when its lacking.

Glad you are okay thou sir, and didn't let a bad experience ruin you love of hiking. Have fun with your trip.-Nate

shrapnel
08-20-2015, 14:05
Water is the one item I will never gamble with and carry as much as possible. I do not trust maps that show where springs are and assume they will be fine when I arrive. Also, some springs might be .2-.3 miles down a very steep trail, so I avoid them, if possible. I carry a 2L bladder with a tube and a 2L platypus. I also carry, when the need fits, a 16 oz water bottle, which I can crunch up for filling at springs. Both bladders are usually both full, except at the end of the day. Preparation is key - know where you are hiking, what the weather will be like, sunny, cloudy, lots of hills ahead, etc. Do your research for re-supply areas or coming into a town. I walked 20 + miles into DWG knowing I could re-supply and let my water run down to almost nothing, my pack weighed about 18-19 lbs, which was glorious. People who get into water trouble on hikes simply do not do enough preparation and fully know what they are getting into. Water is my single #1 concern on any hike, anytime of year and I will hump the extra 8 + lbs it takes to haul it.

Slackanater
08-20-2015, 14:12
I do a series of videos on Tip for thru-hiking here is one on Hydration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5IOxALh2E .For more videos visit my YouTube channel Slackanater.

rafe
08-20-2015, 14:55
You'll figure it out as you go. I use a 3-liter Platypus bag in my pack, and a couple of soda bottles as backup. Learning how water much to carry at any given moment is probably one of the major mental challenges you'll face on the trail. As a general rule, I tank up when I'm about to climb up to a long ridgeline -- water is usually found "down low" and not on the ridgeline. The maps and guides will tell you where water might be found. Sometimes the shelter registers and other hikers will have further advice. Another tip -- "camel up" (fill your belly) where you do find good water.

CoolBobby
08-20-2015, 15:14
I carry a 10 liter Dromedary bag, and a 2 liter camelback. The 10 liter stays empty and folded unless I want a wilderness shower. Normally before the rare town visit. I like staying in the woods for extended days (10+) :-)

ChrisJackson
08-20-2015, 16:14
(2) 700 ml smart water bottles that I fill up at will. (1) 2 liter platy for camp.

Gravytrain
10-05-2015, 21:49
This is great info. I have purchased 2 3-liter bladders and was fully intent on humping them with the rest of my gear, which is how we did it in the Army. Back then I would typically carry 2x 1-quart canteens, a 2-quart canteen, and a 3L bladder. Since I live in South Texas and we are in a perpetual drought, I may carry both bladders on my hikes down here, but with the usual ample water sources on the AT, that decision definitely can be modified.

tflaris
10-05-2015, 21:57
The most I would carry would be 2 liters. Usually only 1 liter if I was encountering multiple water sources throughout the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snapranger
10-05-2015, 22:28
This summer I had a 3 L that I would fill depending on how far and reliable the next water source was and I also had a 1L soft Platy with some Gatorade flavoring.